Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some video from Michigan Teal Opener Weekend 2020. Tried a few different things out on this hunt and did a catch clean cook. Who else thinks teal is the best duck out there to eat? Lets save the water swatting discussion for the comment section below the video on YouTube.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Made it one minute into the video about the time you start defending your water swatting is when I gave up. I waterswat birds but prefer to shoot a flying bird much easier to kill that way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made it one minute into the video about the time you start defending your water swatting is when I gave up. I waterswat birds but prefer to shoot a flying bird much easier to kill that way.
I do as well but if they land im not going to try to spook them into flight just to take a shot in the air.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I do as well but if they land im not going to try to spook them into flight just to take a shot in the air.
There is surely a benefit to jumping the bird before shooting. As the bird lifts off the water it stretches its head and neck, making that target bigger. It also opens it's wings, dropping it's natural shield and exposing easier paths to the vitals. Considering how fragile teal are, this is probably not critical but bigger ducks are a different story. More than once I have seen someone opt to water swat the mallard that has been sitting in the decoys since before shooting time, and seen the duck disappear to never be found again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is surely a benefit to jumping the bird before shooting. As the bird lifts off the water it stretches its head and neck, making that target bigger. It also opens it's wings, dropping it's natural shield and exposing easier paths to the vitals. Considering how fragile teal are, this is probably not critical but bigger ducks are a different story. More than once I have seen someone opt to water swat the mallard that has been sitting in the decoys since before shooting time, and seen the duck disappear to never be found again.
Good point. I have not lost a bird water swatting but have lost some cripples that dove down under the water trying to retrieve them and never popped up again. Ive heard that they will grab some weeds with their beaks and die clinging to this and not float to the top. Anyone else heard this or do you think they just swim in and under the weeds?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good point. I have not lost a bird water swatting but have lost some cripples that dove down under the water trying to retrieve them and never popped up again. Ive heard that they will grab some weeds with their beaks and die clinging to this and not float to the top. Anyone else heard this or do you think they just swim in and under the weeds?
We always called water swatting an Arkansas shot. "We arkansawed that one"

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
No ground swatting ,not very sportsman like. Jmo. That's why it's called wing shooting, not ground swatting.kinda like shooting a golf ball. If it's a cripple swat away.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
This is true. Got lucky once after searching for one of these birds. Saw a touch of orange under a sunken log near the spread. grabbed it and pulled out a nice drake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts