Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read this on 9 & 10 news today My question is where are they getting all the Salmon from when no one is hardly seeing any or getting any in the rivers yet? they list a bunch of places you can go buy them at in the article!!!!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
That is interesting especially since people on here have been saying they haven't seen many in the weirs....I do notice they are all for sale on the east side interestingly

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is interesting especially since people on here have been saying they haven't seen many in the weirs....I do notice they are all for sale on the east side interestingly
There are 4 places on they west side that they are selling salmon on there list.

·
Registered
18,933 Posts
Well, well.
I guess if it's not illegal to buy or sell game with their type licence it's all good.
Now, if they could just deliver a fish to the house...:)

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What I'm really confused about is if Michigan stopped stocking salmon why in the world are they operating the weirs for salmon?
well, they didn't stop stocking salmon, and since they didn't stop stocking, they need the eggs for raising fish in the hatchery

they also supply some other states with coho and chinook eggs

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
well, they didn't stop stocking salmon, and since they didn't stop stocking, they need the eggs for raising fish in the hatchery

they also supply some other states with coho and chinook eggs
I guess I've been misinformed by multiple people. I was told they stopped stocking salmon and increased lake trout plants.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The feds plant lake trout for the most part, not the states. I believe laker stocking has been stable for the past few years. Michigan reduced stocking by 67% but did not stop. And it's probable that even if they DID stop most stocking, they would still stock the rivers where they obtain broodstock at weirs, because they would be able to re-start stocking if they had a source of eggs

All the information is available using a google search, and exact stocking numbers can be found at http://www.glfc.org/fishstocking/exactsearch.htm

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
It doubled the return of the little manistee jn 2014
Unreel captain must be quite a few planted dare still,makes me wonder how this year's run will be in the creek.makes me Wana launch the boat over that way get the flat lines,and boards out in the skiny water in swan bay dare;)

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Tribal consent decree requires that they plant them at Nunns Creek through 2020. I have heard that the tribe might be adding to that plant. Yooper land could very well be the next hot spot. There are also several net pens throughout the state that are supplied by the DNR. It is not done yet!!!!! Salmon fishing might just be a byproduct of lake trout fishing and that will not get me to buy another boat.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The seasons leading up to spring 2013 had me looking, then instant brakes... fall 2013 got me excited again, since then, glad I have not purchased one! I will say, I am the editor for our chapter's newsletter (metro west mssfa), and I ran more boats through the classifieds this summer than I had ever seen....brakes are on hard for me for at least another year!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Have they determined that Lake Michigan is not gonna crash like Huron did? Are they back to stocking the lake pretty heavy again? If the lake can handle it, it would be kinda cool to see some big returns in a few years.

·
Registered
871 Posts
From the DNR article .. " fish in prime physical condition are made available to the public"
Look at the black boot the guy is holding and grinning about.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts