Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Michigan Canoe Racing Association Spring Fling 2021

589 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Tommy O
For those that are interested, the Michigan Canoe Racing Association kicked off the 2021 season with the Spring Fling race this past weekend in Grayling on the AuSable. Our racing, like everything else, is a bit different as a result of COVID. Normally we're in Oscoda this time of year racing on Van Etten Creek for the Klondike Canoe Challenge. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Fortunately for us, we were able to utilize Penrod's in Grayling for a small loop course, basically down to Spider Cut and back up.

I recorded my race in the C1 class. Was seeded a little generous in the first (fast wave) based on prior results, but haven't raced since 2019. Let's just say I'm rusty and not quite ready for it yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Thats awesome man!
For those that are interested, the Michigan Canoe Racing Association kicked off the 2021 season with the Spring Fling race this past weekend in Grayling on the AuSable. Our racing, like everything else, is a bit different as a result of COVID. Normally we're in Oscoda this time of year racing on Van Etten Creek for the Klondike Canoe Challenge. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Fortunately for us, we were able to utilize Penrod's in Grayling for a small loop course, basically down to Spider Cut and back up.

I recorded my race in the C1 class. Was seeded a little generous in the first (fast wave) based on prior results, but haven't raced since 2019. Let's just say I'm rusty and not quite ready for it yet.

Reactions: BumpRacerX
It was great to be back on the water competing again! Hopefully come July we get to run the streets and head to Oscoda!
Thats awesome man!
Reactions: brushbuster
I was a feeder 3 times that was enough for me
It was great to be back on the water competing again! Hopefully come July we get to run the streets and head to Oscoda!
That is quite the cadence you guys keep. I run into competitive paddlers down my way on the Flint River when I’m fishing. They are the only paddlers that seem to paddle upstream like me. Those racing canoes are fast, but I’ll stick to my Solo Plus and double blade!
Feeding is harder than getting in the canoe and paddling to Oscoda. I fed exactly one time and went...nope. I'm either in the boat or I'm sleeping all night. No in between lol.
I was a feeder 3 times that was enough for me
Reactions: brushbuster
One of these days I'm going to get serious about fishing out of a canoe. I duck hunt out of one all the time. Have caught some fish, but never taken it super seriously. Have a buddy that fishes Grand Traverse Bay out of a 'yak. I want to single blade paddle and troll Tawas or AuGres!
That is quite the cadence you guys keep. I run into competitive paddlers down my way on the Flint River when I’m fishing. They are the only paddlers that seem to paddle upstream like me. Those racing canoes are fast, but I’ll stick to my Solo Plus and double blade!
You should try it, and get with Fisheater, he's not only very good at it but very thorough when it comes to safety andpaddling big water in a canoe. He shows us Yakers how its done!
One of these days I'm going to get serious about fishing out of a canoe. I duck hunt out of one all the time. Have caught some fish, but never taken it super seriously. Have a buddy that fishes Grand Traverse Bay out of a 'yak. I want to single blade paddle and troll Tawas or AuGres!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.