Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNR gains control of game farms

Gov. Jennifer Granholm is taking a stronger step to prevent chronic wasting disease from infecting Michigan's deer and elk. Granholm has transferred regulation of deer and elk farms from the state Agriculture Department to the Department of Natural Resources, a spokesman said Thursday.
Lt. Gov. John Cherry's office is drafting the executive order to make the change, which is supported by hunters but opposed by the Michigan Farm Bureau and the Michigan Deer and Elk Farmers Association.

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/eric30_20040130.htm

·
Registered
19,135 Posts
Bravo for the Governor!! The more she does to undo the damage that the right-wing redneck did who preceded her, the more I like her.

L & O

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
right up until you read the part that says the money to monitor these farms will come from the GAME & FISH fund??

It's unfortunate that the MDA isn't prepared or equipped to handle the game farms, but in my opinion, the MI DNR can't afford it without ADDITIONAL funding...and it's downright unfair to force the MI DNR to use GAME & FISH funds, initially earmarked for WILD game and fish, to "monitor" game farms...why weren't the funds appropriated by the MDA for the game farm supervision handed over to the DNR along with their new responsibilities???

It may be a gain in scientific knowledge about game farms, but it's a HUGE loss to the hunters and anglers of MI in terms of research, stocking programs, and wildlife maintenance-sorry, Sam, but I'm one sportsman who DOES mind this!!

Particularly if the funds are removed from the fish, upland gamebird, wild turkey, waterfowl and small game monies-everything in Michigan IS NOT about deer!!!

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One step at a time. The first step was to get the control out of the Dept Ag to the DNR.

The second step later will be harder when going for the funding because both houses are still Republican. As in the Engler aministration the game farm businesses only need to donate one animal each to buy off (lack of funding) protection from corrupt politicians. Keeping the funding coming from the F&G fund will be the retaliation of the Engler business politicians.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry Linda, but I think that this is great news. I, too, wish that the use of Game and Fish money was not necessary, but the budget reality is this; if you want to conduct an audit of the captive cervid industry, the sportsmen will have to pay for it.

I agree with Sam Washington on this one. This is exactly why we need a strong MUCC. We don't win many over the Farm Bureau.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Again, I applaud the move.

As was noted above, this is but a first step in getting a better handle on game farms and their transportation of animals across the country unfetered by regulation.

It is the game farm industry (I refuse to dignify them with the word "hunt") is working to remove the ban on moving specimans across state lines into MI. There work is much more effective in the shadows of the ag dept. rather than where sportsmen/women's groups (MUCC and others) can keep an eye on them.

The funding problem can be worked out.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Might we assume, always a dangerous position, that the funding would come from the ag dept. that would have been earmarked for their administration of game farms? Or do they get to say, "Oh goodie, we have some extra cash in our budget!!!"

·
Registered
167 Posts
Oversite of the game farms should be in the hands of the agency most equipped to do so. Right now it is the MDNR. It is a good first step. Leaving it in the hands of the Ag. Dept. means taking no action at all. I do agree that it is sad that enforcement money must come from fish and game dollars, but....no action is wrong!

Hey, maybe we should hire Haliburton to do it. They seem to have expertise in just about everything.
d2

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Why should the sportsmen and women pay for the maintenance and inspection of something 99% of us could never afford to do? Not to mention that a lot of these animals aren't hunted at all, but end up on restaurant menus.

There should be an added tax on each animal itself, every time one is slaughtered for use, whether that's by a paying hunter or by a restaurant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If the game rancher is providing an activity for sole sporting activities, then it should be under the realm of MDNR. But, if it is for consumption as food, it needs to remain under the Dept. of Ag. Need to look at how we issue licensing for such. Our MDNR is not equiped or funded to deal with ranching or farming activities and sportmen or women should not fund such. My pennies worth.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Originally posted by Linda G.
Why should the sportsmen and women pay for the maintenance and inspection of something 99% of us could never afford to do? .
Simple!

The source of much of the disease problems that affect our wild deer and elk herds, especially CWD, is found in penned cervids, specifically deer and elk. The deer and elk industry has demonstrated by their lobbying efforts to gut effective regulation, an interest not in concert with hunters and the welfare, of our wild cervid herds. For the past two years this group has attempted to get the ban on importing deer and elk into MI overturned, despite the fact, and I repeat again, that no effective test yet exists that would certify an animal as being CWD free.

The Dept. of Ag does not have the manpower, and perhaps the effective enforcement power to oversee this threat to our wild deer and elk herd.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Penned deer shouldn't be having anything to do with wild deer, right? Should we shoulder responsibility for a disease that hasn't even been found in wild deer, and that our wild deer aren't the cause of in penned deer?

Hunters pursue penned hogs in other states, yet I don't think they've been asked to pay for inspections and research on diseases on domestic hog farms, or turkey farms, or penned pheasants for that matter that are raised for consumption only.

Whatever, that's all a moot point now, the decision's been made...but it's not too late yet, I don't believe, to thwart them from using monies intended for wild game species only.

The Dept of Ag doesn't have the manpower or the enforcement power-what makes everyone think the DNR does?

I think everyone on this board can attest to what the DNR isn't doing right now that many of us think they should be, and without substantial funding which would allow them to hire more people for both inspections, research, and enforcement, we sportsmen are only going to bite the bullet-one more time...

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Linda,
Penned deer escape. That has been shown and even deer farm adherents admit they do. CWD was first found in a small herd of penned deer in CO, as you know.

WI DNR wildlife biologists think that CWD spread to their wild deer through imported deer. They cannot definatively prove this, but there is strong circumstantial evidence pointing in that direction.

Because of this penned/fenced deer do indeed pose a threat to our wild herds.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
I knew that, Whit...but why should we, the sportsmen, pay for what is the responsibility of the game farm owner?

I know 5-6 deer game farm/preserve owners, and although of course this may not be true of all game farm owners, the ones I know could finance the cost of the entire program by themselves...a number of them are in it for hobby more so than any type of income.

I don't think we should confuse your average game farm owner with the poor struggling cash crop farmer everyone has images of.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Linda is correct that the game farmers should pay, but many of the users and abusers in Michigan don't pay their way.

This was well established in the Engler aministration and continues today with the Republican corruption of protecting their polluter campaign contributions. Michigan is the only Great Lake state with free permits to pollute. The Republicans are in glee to have the pesty cashed strapped DNR further in debt for their game farm ag buddies, same as their polluter buddies. That will be the Republican retaliation for taking away their cozy game farm and Dept Ag relationship.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts