Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Showed up to Metro Beach this morning and found big sign at the access point at the sail boat launch Stating NO CARS OR TRUCKS ON ICE FROM METROBEACH. Not that I wanted to drive out today but my question is on the legality of this sign? You pay for sticker to get in. Can they actually post a sign like this to stop you from accessing(using a motor vehicle) a public body of water? Something just seems fishy about that sign.

·
Super Moderator
37,662 Posts
It is their ramp, they can tell you you can't use it to get on the water if they feel so inclined. At this point, obviously they feel inclined to save some people from themselves.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I think that is a good thing they did that. Every year the access points at crocker & selfridge always get damaged from cars, trucks & vans creating limited access/potential danger of weak ice for many other people. If the ice were thicker to really sustain the weight better it would be another story though. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
its my fault, about 8 or 10 years ago we had 2 ft of ice so i drove the old suburban out in front of the beach...the next day there were 40 vehicles out there.

the following year the no cars sign went up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just find this to be very intriguing. Never seen anything like it before. Fairly new to Lake St Clair. Grew up near and always fished Saginaw Bay. Always parked on the ice/drove out up there. Just used common sense and didn't pull any boneheaded moves. At metro there was about 5 cars with people loading/unloading their gear right in front the access point/launch. Things are quite different down this way.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
btw.. nothing but a few dinks. 5 ft of water/ still a litle murky. had tons of fish on the camera but just lacked any size.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts