Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
MERCURY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ya wanna believe? need a starter/solanoid for a 9.9. pro kicker and there is not one to be had in mercury pipeline....2007 model..mercury aware of problem with pro kickers..they issued a 'bulletin' to their dealers......reminds me of the BS with the Stator a few years back(bulletin rather than recall, customers stuck with 300 repair bill) with this gypsy outfit...brunswick always was bottom rung!:rant:..well the ACE in MANAGEMENT I talked to//said "not to worry, they are on back order we SHOULD have them in a week or 2":mad: i tried to explain as gently as i could hey ACE hole 2 weeks or more(figuring repair time as well) is kinda of important in this fishing season....anyway after telling him about his HERITAGE..i figure shoot time to dump this merc laden P.of S regardless of monetary loss.......anybody got a quick lead on a NEW standing boat for sale 18 to 20 foot.. full windshield,with kicker, gps, trolling motor..big water capable that is equipped yammie/yammie or evinrude /johnson under 40K...shoot I might even settle for plastic!

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
I worked a company that made trim and tilt units for them. At one time they were top-o-the-line. Then they bought Force and the guys we worked with from Mercury knew what it ment. The bean counters loved the profit margin that Force had and so the demise was iminent :sad:

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,449 Posts
I've had my MerC 25 since 2002 - no problems...:p

Can I HAVE the SuperFish???
:evilsmile

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked a company that made trim and tilt units for them. At one time they were top-o-the-line. Then they bought Force and the guys we worked with from Mercury knew what it ment. The bean counters loved the profit margin that Force had and so the demise was iminent :sad:
yep its getting to the point we should line up every CPA and engineer in front of the FIRING SQUAD' AS SOON AS WE CLEAR THE CEO'S BODIES AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:evilsmile dern if i just had enough cash to afford all the ammunition i need:sad:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I've had my MerC 25 since 2002 - no problems...:p

Can I HAVE the SuperFish???
:evilsmile
have ? HAVE? HAVE?geez that was little less than i was hoping to get for her!....:lol: nah robert i knew better this is the 5th of 9 mercs i have had recently that are JUNK.....just wish i hadn't sold the cresty..i would have boat to fish with...i may end up going to OHIO to get another super fish with etecs..i see they have a 180..no kicker,or Humminbird gps or trolling motor though....if it weren't for impending divorce i would go get the starcraft at the in laws..but had to agree(thru lawyers) to let her have (shoulda swapped it for the merc starcraft earlier)it so i could keep my magnum and tacoma..was heartbreaking enuff to give up the 29k to her from cresty sale..these friggin divorces complicate so much...pretty soon i'm gonna have 2 storage spots sitting empty!..mebbe just have to wait til divorce is final and order up my nu princecraft exactly as i want it!......dang this is looking like 2nd time in 4 years i may blow off 2nd half of open water season

·
Registered
26,740 Posts
Most all Engineers will always make things right, it's the bean counters and CEOs that dictate what cash is available to achieve it. Good for the bootom line, not the product.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most all Engineers will always make things right, it's the bean counters and CEOs that dictate what cash is available to achieve it. Good for the bootom line, not the product.
as an EX-engineer..i always throw them in..i used to argue with my cofellow engineers so much it gave me ulcers!!!!:lol::dizzy:.too much of the GREED first in this nation for sure:bowdown:.You like to hunt..I just love peace, serenity and the sound of water n wave splashin against the boat..if i wasn't handicapped i'd entertain the idea of a SAIL

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I own a 115 4 stroke merc 2004 and talk about a pos as well. There should be a lemon law for outboards. three years ago I was in Canada and it started running really hard and I was 300 miles from civilization and help. Turns out the idiots not only missed the Fuel Filter, but 6 count them 6 F*&$*&^ bolts on the motor. Got that fixed and this year a cylinder starting missing.

Come to find out that anything over 50 hp in the mercury line is actually a yamaha powerhead. Go figure. At least that is what the guys are saying at Camp and Cruise in Marne, MI.

Should have bought a Honda or a Johnson.

·
Banned
848 Posts
The beancounters always take away any improvement the engineers have come up with on any product. Seen it way too many times. Less money spent means more money to bottom line which means more bonus. Long term thinking for the company, the products, and the customers? Who gives a ***** says the CEO, just give me several years where I can steal from the company and when things get bad, I'll take my golden parachute and and laugh all the way to the bank.

Just ask pieces of crap like Jac Nasser, Dennis Kozlowski, Ken Lay(and no, he isn't dead, hes living on a nice caribbean island), Bob Nardelli, Bob Eaton....

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Sorry to hear that you're having problems. Do you have a part number for the original starter? I've been doing some searching and found a couple but not sure that they cross-reference with the original. If you do, post it here and I'll see if I can find anything.

John

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
snip
Then they bought Force and the guys we worked with from Mercury knew what it ment. The bean counters loved the profit margin that Force had and so the demise was iminent :sad:
My 22 yr old Force runs a heck of a lot better than his new Merc. :D

Shamey, if you want to get out next week, we can hit up Erie or somethng in my boat. I'm free pretty much every evening but Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I ended up with a lemon of outboard, and it's a johnson. 1st breakdown was on the detroit river, 1 week after I bought it new. Had the ignition box replaced. 2nd breakdown on the detroit river almost one year to the day, samething again. It drops one cylinder and then loads up and dies. I have an electric trolling motor now to get me back the next time it goes out.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
pays to do biz with good people..myfolks found a guy that had said part, drove there picked it up, 30 minutes later the boat rocks n rolls better than ever.....as a laugh:dizzy: i inquired about another boat, yammie, big enough..asked how long to put on graph ..kicker..lol graph a day, kicker as soon as they could get one from yamaha..lol..you know we really ought to rethink nuking japan again..their 'on time' theory of business has really goofed up businesses here....ya don't stock what the customer wants..lotsa customers will go elsewhere........and would someone please tell me....In the midst of the great lakes..why more boats are not equipped with kickers? and I want to THANKeveryone that offered their assistance........p.s. to Todd..how bout we have a miami tourney on ERIE for your 2nd born, I could use a good partner for these tourneys i never cash in!!:lol:

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
pays to do biz with good people..myfolks found a guy that had said part, drove there picked it up, 30 minutes later the boat rocks n rolls better than ever.....as a laugh:dizzy: i inquired about another boat, yammie, big enough..asked how long to put on graph ..kicker..lol graph a day, kicker as soon as they could get one from yamaha..lol..you know we really ought to rethink nuking japan again..their 'on time' theory of business has really goofed up businesses here....ya don't stock what the customer wants..lotsa customers will go elsewhere........and would someone please tell me....In the midst of the great lakes..why more boats are not equipped with kickers? and I want to THANKeveryone that offered their assistance........p.s. to Todd..how bout we have a miami tourney on ERIE for your 2nd born, I could use a good partner for these tourneys i never cash in!!:lol:

Bill give me a call one of these days as I'm more than ready to make a road trip to do a little fishin for a day or two....:idea:...........need to get out and have some fun as its been crappy around here for a while........:rant:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Maybe your equipment just too new....j/k Seems like all the newer motors have some kind of querk to them. Just sux when you pay out your yang for a motor and then get screwed :rant:

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Huh..... 1972 Merc 50 runs like a watch... like the day it was new.
1988 Mariner (merc) 40 also runs like a watch.
Merc 9.9 2 stroke of a 1970's vintage ran well the last time I used it... which was in the mid 80's

Sorry to hear about your problem Shamey. Just for fun... what is the Mercury part number for that starter/solenoid?

·
Registered
159 Posts
...brunswick always was bottom rung!:rant:..well the ACE in MANAGEMENT I talked to//said "not to worry, they are on back order we SHOULD have them in a week or 2":mad: i!
I waited 8 months for an ignition on my 15 Yamaha kicker. I would have been ecstatic with a 2 week wait. This was a problematic part and Yamaha had to go another supplier. Looks like Japan has bean counters also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've only had one mercury, A 40hp, It blew up twice while still under warranty. after they put the second new powerhead on it i dumped it and went back to a good ol evenrude. Problem solved. I'll never own another mercury.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts