Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Mercury mechanic

729 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  jampg
Looking for a mercury mechanic that can figure out what's going on with my motor it's a 225 opti motor drops a cylinder under wot then picks cylinder back up and cuts out back and forth never does it cursing speed of half throttle the worst things is it only does it half the time some trips it never does it hard to fix something that is sporadic.ty
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Use an inductive timing light on each plug wire with the engine idling/muffs/water on.
If you can look directly at the flashing from the timing light. That one is the bad/weak coil pack/wire/plug. A good coil/wire/plug will blind you for the most part.
I'm guessing it is a coil pack since it is random. When a coil gets to hot/over heats, it does not work/fire the plug with enough volts to fire the spark plug. Causing your condition. More load/throttle/equals more heat.
Reactions: Wobble and Jimbo 09
Thanks i will try that
Use an inductive timing light on each plug wire with the engine idling/muffs/water on.
If you can look directly at the flashing from the timing light. That one is the bad/weak coil pack/wire/plug. A good coil/wire/plug will blind you for the most part.
I'm guessing it is a coil pack since it is random. When a coil gets to hot/over heats, it does not work/fire the plug with enough volts to fire the spark plug. Causing your condition. More load/throttle/equals more heat.
Reactions: ebijack
Ebi probably hit the nail on the head. I just had a coil replaced on a 9.9 that was behaving the same way, but with only 2 cylinders it was probably more noticeable than your V6.
I do not have any experience with this guy other than meeting him. He sells Lunds for Rose Marine and has a mobile repair service. Maybe someone else has experience with Dave??
Anchors Away Marine
Dave Brown 586 381 5447
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.