Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello sportsman, new to site. been reading and following this site for some time. I 'm looking for advice as to fixing a 15hp Mercury. My brother, not a fisherman, used this motor for a Zodiac for his big boat, and ran a 2 1/2 gallon tank of gas w/no 2 cycle oil in it. He let me use it for a kicker for my boat and cant seem to get it started. any body out there that can fix it, or let me know how to get started doing so. I need it for this fishing season:)

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Is the motor seized? Did you check for Compression? Just a few thing to check first before you start to rip this thing apart. Did you check for spark? coils could be shot. Check these out and then give us a little more detail as to what it is /or is not doing.

·
Registered
993 Posts
IMHO this motor is going to need to be rebuilt. The rings and bearings all rely on the oil in the mixed gas for lubrication. 2 1/2 gallons of unmixed gas is plenty to do a LOT of damage to a 2 stroke motor.

Just my opion

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
"Oh The Humanity" :eek: :eek: :eek: 2 1/2 gals no oil :eek: :eek:
was she knocking when she quit?
she might need big help,,,pull the spark plugs out and turn the flywheel back and forth in a snappy fashion and tell us how much knoking you hear?
also with the spark plugs in turn the flywheel with your hands and note how she rolls over,,,the point at where the pistons roll over should feel pretty snappy,,,you know it should sort of snap over not just slowly hiss as you push it forward

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motor is not siezed, i can pull the rip and she will move. I took the spark plugs out and placed one on the side of the head and i did get spark. I did not do a compresion check though, i think that compresion might be to low to fire. thanks for the replys, i appreiciate it.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i tried to squirt so eyther into the cylinders, and she still would not turnover. mind you, this motor is a 1998 model.

·
Registered
13,916 Posts
No offense intended Mushy, but your brother is as much of a moron as my own brother. Different situation, but when my brother was about 20 he once put motor oil in his brake fluid container in his car, not realizing that brake fluid and motor oil are different? Whoa did he have problems. Even if your brother isn't a fisherman, he's obviously a boater, and should know better. Sorry to say that ;)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have heard ether is very bad for 2 strokes, Very high combustion temp and NO OIL!

My father raced professional motocross for 15 years and rebuilt bikes daily, He said you NEVER use starting fluid, USE GAS AND OIL MIX, the same that is in the tank. He has actually seen motors blow up due to use of starting fluid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts