Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just throwing this out here as I really don't know how else to do it. I keep reading that one of the problems recruiting new hunters is due to a lack of mentors. As time is growing shorter on my outdoor life I realized that I would like to offer to help. My daughters have no interest in hunting so I have nobody to pass on my knowledge. I hunt, fish and trap and have plenty of equipment so that's not a problem. If you are looking or know someone that is looking for a outdoor partner, let me know.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Had to Goggle Sears. Between 66 & Evart. Just gotta be someone in the area that needs your help.

L & O

Reactions: 1morebite

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Justin,

Very noble gesture. We need more guys like you.

Reactions: NbyNW

·
Registered
850 Posts
There are a lot of single Moms with kids that would love to learn outdoors stuff. I mentor two great nephews in that situation. The Dad is a dingus and could have used someone in his youth, my hope is that his kids don't turn out the same. If you go to a church of know someone who does that would be a great way to find a kid or two to help. I commend you for your interest in passing on the outdoor way.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I just moved up here this past spring and I don't know too many locals yet. I will keep looking.
If you belong to a group like the Lions Club or a church, members will know you and likely will be comfortable trying to connect you with a person needing a mentor.
If you made this offer to your local school principal who doesn't know you......forget it. They would need to do a background check on you before even considering an introduction to a kid needing outdoor guidance.
Rural area or not, there are kids that need and want your help. The problem is will a parent trust you ? You might be the best person in the county, but parents need be careful. And they should be.
Maybe a young adult might be easier to help. I was able to help a young(20+) gal a couple of years ago get a doe. Her father was close by.

L & O

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
There's the Eagles on US 10 and then the Rod & Gun Club in Lake Station where you could get to know people.

·
Registered
5,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you belong to a group like the Lions Club or a church, members will know you and likely be comfortable trying to connect you with a person needing a mentor.
If you made this offer to your local school principal who doesn't know you......forget it. They would need to do a background check on you before even considering an introduction to a kid needing outdoor guidance.
Rural area or not, there are kids that need and want your help. The problem is will a parent trust you ? You might be the best person in the county, but parents need be careful. And they should be.
Maybe a young adult might be easier to help. I was able to help a young(20+) gal a couple of years ago get a doe. Her father was close by.

L & O
You're right. That's why I didn't specify kids. I totally understand the trust issue and honestly most young kids tend to be afraid of me. I guess they think I'm scary looking. I was really thinking more towards young adults and older but age isn't really a factor to me. I know that there are some posters on here that live around my area so I thought they may know of someone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts