Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking a long weekend next weekend. I plan on swinging thru by the mouth of the two hearted. over to big bay and on up to Copper Harbor. I would like to try fall fishing for menominee (sp)any suggestions or advice on techniques or locations? I will also be looking agates and gold panning but think advice on fishing will be easier to get. I have had good luck in the spring drifting wax worms with a small pencil bobber. I sure would like to show my girlfriend how the menominee fight.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Use small hooks in size 10 down to 14 and single salmon eggs (treated so as to harden them), small pieces of nightcrawler, or waxworms for bait. Fish them on the bottom and look for the light "tap-tap" hit or better yet watch the line. When the sag begins to come out of the line set the hook with an uplift of the rod. There is no need to reef back hard at the hook set.

Fish the big lake near the mouths of any stream dumping into it and on the side of the outlet where the current flows.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank-you for the advice. I plan on trying the mouth of the two hearted, the falls river, the gratiot and fanny hooe. I don't know what rivers have salmon in them right now but that is why the menominee should be there. I always fish them in the spring when the suckers are in and they are always so full of eggs they burp them up when you catch them. They are a fun fish to catch on light tackle and are great eating when fresh or smoked.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey Mdad i live up here in the keewenaw, and checked a few rivers you mentioned today . and they are no more than a trickle , "" we need rain bad "" hope this helps

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had not given that any thought. I will modify plans. I am going to throw the guns in and try for some pats. I heard the carp river by st. ignace has lots of salmon. I have never been to the mouth and don't know if the menominee come in there. thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts