Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking today to a couple of old timer river rats and they informed me of a launch that is located at the Melvindale Ice arena. They said its pretty popular in the spring. They said it leads to Bellanger Park and over by Zug Island.

Can any members give me some further info on this or any exp's using this launch.

·
Registered
192 Posts
its not a launch....its a grate on the side of the concrete much like #9 expanded metal. Try to choose a good spot on the grate where the metal is not bent up..the last thing you want is to tear up a tire. there is no dock so once your boat is off the trailer you have to pull your boat over to the concrete to get in. That area is not patrolled by anyone other than punk kids and thugs so my suggestion would be to leave your doors unlocked to save yourself the cost of a new window. the river is a slow moving smelly cesspool full of oil and other pollutants that will be all over your boat.... once in, the river it is a NO WAKE zone the entire distance as it is no farther than 40-50ft wide. This does not mean you cannot speed the entire distance, but understand that you would be in violation of no wake laws in many/most locations. I would look out for floating objects that can be hit in the water.... some seen while other are submerged. The river passes thru a wonderful and scenic part of Southwest Detroit. Good luck and please enjoy you trip on the wonderful Rouge River.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL.....ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Im gonna launch at ecorse or Wyandotte! I just found it rather weird that boats could be launched there! Thanks for your input... it has been duly noted!

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
It sounds like Woodtick wants to keep it all to himself!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Doesn't sound that bad, could be a new alternate launch site when the other places have long lines.:idea:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just talked to a recent ex Melvindale Police officer/ now southgate police officer. He said there are alot of boats that launch in the spring time. He did say that he has seen the DNR around the launch area in the past. My biggest concern is hitting something in the water. The old timer did say that the local dive teams did go down in the river a few years ago and pull cars out of the river.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Its at the end of my street and it would be the last place on earth I would ever launch my boat....If you think u have found a gem then by all means use it... After you buy a prop or lower unit or get a ticket or have your **** stolen or your car windows broken or you suck up some garbage and overheat your engine in the middle of SW Detroit. You will wish you dealt with the the wyandotte boat ramp.... I personally have launched at wyandotte since 1977 and never had any complaints.... Its safe, clean, and well run.... The DNR is at the Mel launch often as its used by poachers/or cheap degenerates who feel limits do not apply and they can run their poached catches up the Rouge without being caught......they sure look surprised when the DNR busts them LOL. My guess is that the Mel PD calls them when they see trailers to give the DNR a heads up. Those cars were taken out many years ago.....lol and I am sure the river has been fully restocked with stolen cars, vans, buses lol. You biggest concern is hitting a submerged tree the size or the queen mary....

·
Registered
67 Posts
I lived down the street from that launch for 17 years. I can voach for the cars as I know of atleast 2 groups of kids who stole cars and put them in there when I was a teenager. I am not so sure about getting your car broken into though as police patrol that quite often and when I was young if there was a car down there we wanted to be as far away from it as possible. Kids might be getting dumber or braver or both though so you very well could get broken in to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts