1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is incredible:

Posted by Wayno over at texasbowhunters.com website
Posted on Friday, January 09, 2004 - 8:52 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This deer was killed on a lease near Junction last weekend. It was one of those brother-in-law of a friend of a friend stories.

This is the email that I received:
"Thought you might enjoy these pictures of the deer we killed last weekend. It is called a melanestic color phase and is more rare than albino. Being it is completely black except for under tail it is considered the rarest of the rare. Most have some brown in them. It is generating lots of interest across the state from sportsman as well as wildlife biologist. It is certainly the trophy of a lifetime.

I'm going to have it mounted in a traditional shoulder mount with the remainder of the hide like a rug going up the wall behind the head."

this is incredible, I thought the one killed last year was dark! :hair-raisin: I can't believe they are not gonna have this full-body mounted!!

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Howdy-

Wow! I've never seen one that black before!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Wow! I hope our state lawmakers get on the ball and pass legislation protecting this type of defective gene carrying deer like they did for albinos. Not!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wow, looks like a photo negetive. I don't know if I could squeeze the trigger on something that that was the "rarest of the rare". I'd be happy just to se one in the woods. My .02

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
to just sit and think about what could be walking around out there and then to see something like that. The only thing is that I would think something like that would have a darker rack.

Great Pic Thanks

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
It's 6:15 a.m.
October 1st.
Somewhere in Northern Michigan.

At the base of the tree, 15 feet below your treestand, this huge dark figure walks by... :eek:

Awesome photo! Thanks for posting

·
Registered
49 Posts
Originally posted by carp_assasin
Wow, looks like a photo negetive. I don't know if I could squeeze the trigger on something that that was the "rarest of the rare". I'd be happy just to se one in the woods. My .02
I agree! No way could I ever kill something so rare. An animal like that should never have been carried out. IMHO, this hunter is only worsening his/her mistake by not investing in a full mount. At any rate, thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I THINK IT IS GREAT THAT THIS DEER WAS HARVESTED. THE GENES ARE NOT WHAT WE WANT IN OUR HERD JUST LIKE THE ALBINO GENE. ALL THEY ARE DEER JUST LIKE THE REST OF THEM EXCEPT THEY ARE LACKING THE GOOD STUFF. BESIDES IF THEY WERE NOT HARVESTED MOST OF US WOULD NEVER SEE THEM !!

·
Registered
532 Posts
yeah, that's awesome! maybe next she'll harpoon the Loch Ness Monster, I hear that is pretty rare! ;) Just kiddin', we're all entitled to our opinions. :p

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Hmm a "tactical" deer. :D

If that deer is so "stealth", how'd it get bagged? :p

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I think if i saw something like that in the woods i would have to check to see if i am awake. It's almost like having a black cat cross in front of you.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It looks like that things go good enough genes to me. Look at the rack. It's bigger than anything i've taken.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Being so rare, does anyone know if this is a genetic trait passed on or just something very odd that doesn't pop up within a line?

I've never seen or heard of such a thing. Wow.l

1 - 20 of 20 Posts