Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum and I didn't find anything posted anywhere. FYI, I have been to 3 different Meijer's and they all moved their ammo cases to the back of the aisle out of view from the main aisles AND removed all handgun ammo and SBR ammo...no 5.56 or 223 or 6.5, etc. Only shotgun ammo, 22LR, and some hodgepodge traditional rifle ammo. Truly disappointed. I only found articles where they asked people to not open carry and said they were still deciding on what to do with ammo sales. So if you're in a pinch for some piston target ammo...no more stops at WalMart or Meijer.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I was in a jam for some shotgun ammo to shoot sporting clays while on vacation. It looked like Meijer was selling off what was on the shelf. They only had 16ga and 20ga left. I went to Walmart and had to wait for someone to unlock the cabinet.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I havent looked since the week or so before youth hunt but when I was in the lapeer store they had lots of ammo available of all types. The weekend that they gave away the youth licenses they required you buy $20 worth of sporting goods to get the free youth tag. Everyone I saw was buying ammunition....myself included i bought two boxes of steelshot for duck hunting. Their shelves were cleaned out that day. Maybe they havent restocked since because they hadnt thought through the sales they would get those two days? I know the employees said they were not aware of the $20 requirement to get the free license until the day of.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The store in Flint moved the ammo to the end of the aisle. I didn't look to see what they had for stock but it's a shame they'd stop selling all handgun ammo.

I've been getting the free licenses through them for several years and I will continue to use them for groceries.

·
Premium Member
9,642 Posts
Meijer has quit selling a lot of things over the years .Groceries is their thing now plus a lot of imported junk that their pluming and hardware used to fill .One stop shopping there disappeared long ago .It will bite them some day .

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
I bet they reduced inventory of all sorts by 80% in the meijer by my house in the last few years.

Cant depend on them having that odd item anymore.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,169 Posts
Meijer & Walmart, just about the two biggest retailers in our area and they are the two stores least frequented by me. I'll go local small shops more often than state & national chains.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Meijer & Walmart, just about the two biggest retailers in our area and they are the two stores least frequented by me. I'll go local small shops more often than state & national chains.
Meijer is the local store by me. We dont have a snaller grocery store unless you want to send you money to germany thru aldi's.

Meijer carrys alot of michigan made products. They are union and they donate back to local charities. Their headquarters is in michigan and their distribution centers are in michigan all offering good paying jobs. If i didnt grovery shop at meijer my other choices are walmart, kroger or aldi.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,169 Posts
Meijer is the local store by me. We dont have a snaller grocery store unless you want to send you money to germany thru aldi's.

Meijer carrys alot of michigan made products. They are union and they donate back to local charities. Their headquarters is in michigan and their distribution centers are in michigan all offering good paying jobs. If i didnt grovery shop at meijer my other choices are walmart, kroger or aldi.
Groceries are another thing.

It would suck not to have a Ma & Pa or locally owned place to shop so I feel for ya!

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
But it is a michigan campany.
It start as a small mom and pop store just north of grand rapids. Has its headquarters just west of grand rapids.
And if you are bless the new small grocery stores they are going with are great. They go with diffrent local items in it.
I can go into our local bridge market( aka meijer small grocery store) and by venison that come from White House white tails. That's just northwest of grand rapids.
So yes meijer is for many on west michigan a local store.
Now I won't by ammo our guns with them. I go to a small sporting good shop for that, and 99% of the time they have better prices than anyone else and better than online prices I found.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,169 Posts
But it is a michigan campany.
It start as a small mom and pop store just north of grand rapids. Has its headquarters just west of grand rapids.
And if you are bless the new small grocery stores they are going with are great. They go with diffrent local items in it.
I can go into our local bridge market( aka meijer small grocery store) and by venison that come from White House white tails. That's just northwest of grand rapids.
So yes meijer is for many on west michigan a local store.
Now I won't by ammo our guns with them. I go to a small sporting good shop for that, and 99% of the time they have better prices than anyone else and better than online prices I found.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yeah, but Meijers buys lots of products that are NOT local. As is evident by those produce & beef (especially ground beef) recalls they often have from the suppliers out of state. If you are selling many thousands of pounds a day, you need a supplier that can provide that much product.

But yes, they certainly do carry Michigan products...too.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Yeah, but Meijers buys lots of products that are NOT local. As is evident by those produce & beef (especially ground beef) recalls they often have from the suppliers out of state. If you are selling many thousands of pounds a day, you need a supplier that can provide that much product.

But yes, they certainly do carry Michigan products...too.
Meijer has had some beef recalls for plastic pieces on their ground beef. This has happened in their prepackaged beef that i do not buy. They started selling it when walmart and kroger started offering those products. You can still buy fresh ground in their meatcase. I do not buy the prepackaged meats becaue they fill the conatainer with nitrogen and carbon dioxide to keep the meat from turning color. I can taste the nitrogen in the meat.

The prepackaged ground meat that they have recalled like 3 times now IS in fact local. It is packaged at JBS plainwell plant in plainwell michigan. They distribute from there to the entire midwest. JBS plainwell is a michigan plant with 250 employees.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
West Branch Walmart, has many types of ammo on clearance. Clerk said it was all handgun ammo, including certain rifle ammo like .223,5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R I laughed about the Mosin Nagant ammo clearance, the clerk said its military grade ammo, yeah like 75 years ago. I have a few Mosin's so I scooped up the Tulamo 20 round boxes for $10 shoots cleaner than milsurp.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,169 Posts
Meijer has had some beef recalls for plastic pieces on their ground beef. This has happened in their prepackaged beef that i do not buy. They started selling it when walmart and kroger started offering those products. You can still buy fresh ground in their meatcase. I do not buy the prepackaged meats becaue they fill the conatainer with nitrogen and carbon dioxide to keep the meat from turning color. I can taste the nitrogen in the meat.

The prepackaged ground meat that they have recalled like 3 times now IS in fact local. It is packaged at JBS plainwell plant in plainwell michigan. They distribute from there to the entire midwest. JBS plainwell is a michigan plant with 250 employees.

I worked there before it was JBS, back in the 1980's. And at another smaller operation that was in the area I live nw, but it was a factory not a local shop.

Those places are not really in the same realm of "local" I am talking about. And a HUGE part of the stories I could tell.

I meant in the neighborhood I live in as local. Getting their animals actually locally. Not a factory beef plant.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
West Branch Walmart, has many types of ammo on clearance. Clerk said it was all handgun ammo, including certain rifle ammo like .223,5.56, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R I laughed about the Mosin Nagant ammo clearance, the clerk said its military grade ammo, yeah like 75 years ago. I have a few Mosin's so I scooped up the Tulamo 20 round boxes for $10 shoots cleaner than milsurp.
I used to mess with mosins awhile back. I used to buy Winchester metrics I think they were called. That way I got real brass for reloads. Man they were pricey compared to most mosin ammo.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
The Grand Haven one also stopped carrying most Archery supplies and tree stand safety equipment. Where am I supposed to buy that stuff on clearance at now

·
Registered
559 Posts
Meijer carrys alot of michigan made products. They are union and they donate back to local charities.
The UFCW. LMFAO. They are good for nothing other than taking money from employees. I wish nothing but the worst for anyone that works for that criminal enterprise.

For those that don't know, the union caused meijer employees for many years to essentially make less than minimum wage. The store paid min wage and the union took quite a chunk out of what little they made.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Can’t say I ever bought ammo at meijer. We’re their prices good? I wouldn’t think they would be.
No, it was only a touch below gunshop prices. Even when I worked there and got a discount it was still a LOT cheaper to get it at walmart or online. Or even Gander Outdoors

1 - 20 of 25 Posts