Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help to check out the following as true or false.

Have your networks check out the MEIJER employees and management to find out the future of the hunting sporting goods department.

True or False: MEIJER will be closing out by August 1, 2001, sporting department products that are decribed by management as associated with "blood-killing" sports.

Does this sound like an anti-hunting threat to you?

The outdoor suppliers that supply items for MEIJER are upset because this not only hurts them, but promotes the anti-hunting agenda as well. MEIJER did not renew normal contracts beyond the August 1, 2001 date. This is how the suppiers found out. When they questioned management is when they heard the term "blood-killing" sports.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
If its true I guess I'll have no further needs to stop at Meijers on my trips through.
That would be sad. :(
If its true, Farmer Jacks here I come!

------------------
Never Confuse having a career with having a life!

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Just another reason to frequent your local sporting goods store. I also would rather spend my money at someplace like Cabelas or Dunhams. Anyplace other than Rosie's place. I've even bought at Walmart, who doesn't have bad prices either.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I know a store manager in the Plainwell store and will ask'em

------------------
God Bless and may your aim be true

·
Banned
11,839 Posts
I haven't heard anything about not selling hunting licenses.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Um, I always go to there to buy my license's and I haven't heard anything about them not selling them either.

------------------
Time to get those reels back in the water, and catch some BIG fish!

·
Registered
886 Posts
A good friend of mine's dad is a sporting goods distributor who ships many sporting goods items to Meijer (he works for Faber Bros. Inc.). I'll check it out with him. He would definately know. Some Meijers don't carry paintball related items because of vandalism, but I can't imagine not carrying hunting accesories.

------------------
~DAN~

·
Registered
176 Posts
HMMMMMM?

Meijer is having one heck of a closeout in sporting goods right now. Yesterday, I bought some nice shirts, a vest and a pair of brush pants all at 50% off!! With the timing of this anti-esque rumor coinciding with these deep discount closeouts, could this really mean something? Hope not, or maybe it just spells more business for Cabela's!

Good day,
RUPP

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
RUPP,

I bought stuff at over 50% off yesterday, also. However, I buy stuff at the same discount from Meijer every year after the seasons. They even excluded turkey hunting stuff, so I doubt they're trying to clear everything out for this reason. I'm witholding any conclusion until some real facts come out.

Best regards,
Byron

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Remember, I'm only following up what a sportshop owner (without a computer) asked me to check out. I don't like rumors, but thought this was important enough to check out. If this is false, I'll apologize for the anxiety. If it is true, then I'll have some comments later. Sadly, it wouldn't surprise me if this was true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by boehr:
I haven't heard anything about not selling hunting licenses.
I have placed a call to Meijer HQ, to confirm or deny the rumor.

Thanks

Michigan DNR

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tom Weston (edited 01-30-2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't know what I will do? There are things that I get from Meijers that I won't buy from other stores. It will be a sad day when and if it closes.

[This message has been edited by bigmountain (edited 01-30-2001).]

·
Registered
815 Posts
I am not sure what is going on a Meijer. For the last three years Meijers has suported the Shiawassee Flats Citizens & Hunters banquet, 2 of the 3 by coming in and setting up a raffle table during the dinner and donating half of their money from the raffle to the club and the other by giving us genorous discounts on items for the dinner. Dont be to quick to judge until you know the facts. Hopefully this is not true.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It's a rumor. I just alked with my wife who is the HR manager and she stated "NO. Are you kiding me! Hunting & fishing keeps the department in the black". So based on her response, I would say that this is just a rumor and not likely to happen.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hopefully it's true that this is just a rumor. Their support hepls out the SFCHA alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Hamilton Reef:
I need your help to check out the following as true or false.

Have your networks check out the MEIJER employees and management to find out the future of the hunting sporting goods department.

True or False: MEIJER will be closing out by August 1, 2001, sporting department products that are decribed by management as associated with "blood-killing" sports.

Does this sound like an anti-hunting threat to you?

The outdoor suppliers that supply items for MEIJER are upset because this not only hurts them, but promotes the anti-hunting agenda as well. MEIJER did not renew normal contracts beyond the August 1, 2001 date. This is how the suppiers found out. When they questioned management is when they heard the term "blood-killing" sports.
This rumor has been denied by Meijer Inc. I called my contact @ Meijers who runs the Sporting Goods departments and they will continue to sell hunting & fishing related products and licenses.

If I hear anything different I will let you folks know.

Tom Weston

Michigan DNR

·
Registered
886 Posts
I talked with my friends dad and he says he hasn't heard anything similar to that. He's had some stores that for some reason or another won't carry a product other Meijer stores will, but said they will still carry hunting products.

------------------
~DAN~

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I'm glad to hear it, I always liked Meijers.

[This message has been edited by fishinlk (edited 01-31-2001).]

·
Registered
481 Posts
My request to Meijer Inc for information regarding this situation was returned through the local store here in Traverse City.

According to a local manager, the company as a whole is doing some restrucring of product mix in the hunting section. One division he mentioned in particular was bow hunting products. The profitability in that section I guess is not sufficient. It sounded like that may be on a corporate scale.

He mentioned that there is quite a bit of tweaking going on in the different stores. He mentioned that he had plans for the T.C. store to diversify its fishing lures quite a bit to include larger lures. ( Targeting salmon, trout & such vs. the largely bass selection they currently carry).

He stated that he had no knowledge of a corporate plan to discontinue hunting items.
Take that as you will. I suppose the plan could be there, and has not been passed on to the individual stores. I think maybe decisions to reduce or eliminate products will be on a individual store basis.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts