Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a place to stay this season just east of Big Rapids for opening day.

Just wondering if anyone is familier that area for duck hunting.

I've fished the martini chain of lakes and the haymarsh pond in the summer but never really scouted it for birds.

...appreciate any info.:)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Good luck at Martini. Every skybusting wanna be is there for the first two days. It sounds like WWIII for the first 30 minutes. I've heard of guys going through the first afternoon with dogs and finding dozens of cripples in the weeds.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Bmac-other than finding a secluded marsh or beaverpond.
You will find skybusters everwhere all season. I'd be thrilled if it was for only two days. You'd think that in the managed areas with limited shells you wouldn't have that problem but even there you still do.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, thats what I figured.

With using a small puddle duck rig, It's near impossible to find public water thats not teeming with hunters for the opener.

I ended up Starting my season the second eve. last year and could pretty much post up anywhere.

Eventually, A big water layout rig would be a good way to avoid being peppered with shot opening weekend.:)

·
Registered
13,900 Posts
Jethro,
Even on big water you run into crowds. The opener is just that way, and if you're willing to put up with it, then you're good to go. I typically sit the opener out anymore because I hate crowds of any kind, plus I enjoy the cooler, nasty weather hunting better. A few more birds on the opener just isn't worth it to me anymore. To each his own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts