Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys....new to this so bare with me but just wondering what kind of broadheads everyone recommends.....my buddies have all hopped on the mechanicals wagon and i'm not sure which have the best all around performance based on flying true, penetration, cutting ability, etc....heard lot of things about rage, but concerned about them not opening up...been looking at spitfires, G5's, and jak-hammers so let me know what your feelings are on the topic

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Of the ones you mentioned, my personal choice would be the Spitfires. I'm sure you'll get a lot of votes for each though.;)

·
Registered
817 Posts
well if you heard good things about RAGE then there is a good reason for it.... they are devastating !

All have there followers, i shoot the 2 blade rage and I have no doubts about them after the 4 deer I took last year.

i was a fixed blade follower (muzzy) and I bucked the trend to switch, I went with RAGE and have never looked back.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
:yeahthat:...the Rage are the best imo..use the 2 blade

well if you heard good things about RAGE then there is a good reason for it.... they are devastating !

All have there followers, i shoot the 2 blade rage and I have no doubts about them after the 4 deer I took last year.

i was a fixed blade follower (muzzy) and I bucked the trend to switch, I went with RAGE and have never looked back.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Rage 2 blades would be my choice over the 3 blades. They have less moving parts, open wider, and just have a better design to my eye. The spitfires are nice, outragously priced, and that slip notched/ dimple/ball and socket thingy only works a couple of times before wearing out. I have killed deer with the jackhammer, spitfire, and rage, I like the rage best just because of the rear deploying blades, they seem to penetrate well.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
My favorite head is the spitfires..but I will also be try'n out some grim reapers this year...

I tried the Tekans last year and was not impressed with the hole or blood trail..
Haven't tried the rages..along with the good things, I have heard too many bad things to try em

·
Registered
119 Posts
People use mechanicals because higher arrow speeds make getting a fixed blade to fly like a field point can result in a lot of tuning. I use the rocky mtn. gators sold by Bass pro, same co. that makes the rage but much cheaper and same slip design, give them a look.:coolgleam

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
I have shot alot of deer with fixed and mechanicals (rage and snypers). If I have my bow tuned right I like fixed blades for bone issues, slick tricks usualy fly well and impact is ususaly close to field points.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I have used spitfires for several years with great results. Whenever I use mech. heads, they are the ones I choose. Probably shot about 8-9 deer with them, no probs. Excellent blood trails even with so-so shot placement.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I'll be going against the trend here. Here is my experience. I used spitfires for a couple years and these are the only mechanical heads that never failed me. I have tried the rage 2 blade and did not like them, only 1 blade opened and no blood trail at all. If I had not seen the deer drop, it woulda been tough. I also tried Grim Reapers and only 1 of the 3 blades open, again terrible blood and got lucky and found the biggest buck I have shot to date. After all this disapointment, and wanting to try a fixed blade.. I started messing with Fixed Blades and Found Slick Tricks to be the best out there. They shot 3 inches high from my field points, so I just lowered my rest 1/32 of an inch and they now hit perfect with field points. It's easy to get these to fly with field points, and I dont have to worry about the head opening. So I would suggest Slick Tricks.

Note. of all mechanicals I have tried the spitfires never failed me

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
SPITFIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they leave HUGE HOLES!!
GREAT BLOOD TRAILS
ALWAYS OPEN
NEVER OPEN TO SOON.
AND FLY LIKE FIELD POINTS

Ok that was fun... but really those are all true... it is good to use the little screwdrivers that come with them and tighten down the screws ALL THE WAY so that the blades drop when you put pressure on them.... this is how i always do it and have never had them open to soon...

WHATS NOT TO LOVE ABOUT AND INCH AND A HALF HOLE!!!!

and all but maybe one of my shots was a pass through!! and my bow is set at 65# these blades are razor sharp!!

good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input guys.....ive always been a fixed blade guy myself...mainly thunderhead 100 and 125's for years now....but with all the good things about spitfires, anyone have an opinion of the original spitfire vs the new spitfire XP with the cut on contact head?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts