Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have shot 777 always and never used loose powder. In reading the reviews on the internet and the fact that I ran out of pellets last fall, I bought some Blackhorn 209 powder. I have a tube that has measuring marks on the side of it and I filled it up to the 100gr mark and then weighed it on my scale which showed me 74.8 grains of powder. I would assume that I should come up with the amount needed by weight and then mark the tube for my true 100grains (weighted). Correct?

·
Registered
10,443 Posts
The tube is measuring volume and the scale is measuring weight. The tube could have been designed for original black powder, which probably has a different density than what you measured and why there is a discrepancy in weight for the same volume of powder.

·
Premium Member
5,604 Posts
I have shot 777 always and never used loose powder. In reading the reviews on the internet and the fact that I ran out of pellets last fall, I bought some Blackhorn 209 powder. I have a tube that has measuring marks on the side of it and I filled it up to the 100gr mark and then weighed it on my scale which showed me 74.8 grains of powder. I would assume that I should come up with the amount needed by weight and then mark the tube for my true 100grains (weighted). Correct?
Wrong. You measure black powder substitutes (Pyrodex, 777, etc) by volume not weight. In other words if you have a measure marked for 100 gr. of BP you use the same measure for the substitute even though the actual weight of the substitute is less.

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
NO! Use the 100 mark on the powder measure, not the scale. It is true that there will be a discrepency between a powder measure and the actual weight in grains for BH209 (and other subs such as 777). Sib is correct in that the powder measures are calibrated for regular ol' blackpowder. HOWEVER, it has become the standard measuring unit for BP subs. If you look on the Blackhorn 209 website you will see that the recommended loads are listed as "volumetric units". If you were to use 100 grains by weight it would be equivalent to 130 grains by volume which is above the maximum recommended load of 120 by the manufacturer. Bottom line: use the powder measure set to 100 for a "100 grain" load; use 74.8 grains via scale for the same "100 grain" powder load.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Like everyone else stated, blackpowder measures are in volume, not weight. Keep the reloading scale for metalic cartridges and shotgun hulls. The black powder game is played with volume.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love these forums... I almost made a huge mistake.... that's what I get for being to critical.... THanks again all...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts