Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone please tell me what mayfly this is?

I am a member on a photo site and a lady in North Carolina had these hatching and was wondering what they are. I am a bit rusty on my ID.

I am thinking maybe a March Brown. I think it is too early for any Drakes or Hex yet.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

JOhn

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Looks pretty hexy to me. Maybe they get a few early down in that warmer climate. Maybe a little lighter.

Here's a pic of a hex google turned up:

·
Registered
872 Posts
What were the dimensions? L/W/H ? That would give a better clue as to which species it was!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The closest I could come up with was Hex but I just thought it was a bit too early for any to come off. Sorry, don't have any dimensions. The lady just posted the picture on a photography forum I am a member of and asked for an ID as she is not a fisherwoman and has no idea so she didn't measure, etc. They were all over here lake cottage and she posted a picture and asked if anyone knew what they were (she wasn't sure if they were a mayfly, caddisfly, or damselfly but figured out they were a mayfly on her own). I just thought I might try to narrow it down a bit for her if I could but am having a bit of a tough time.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
7,598 Posts
I think it would be early for hex but who knows. My vote is that it's a green Drake. They were exploding on Abrhams creek in the Smokies last a couple of weeks ago. Most were around 2"s with long tails and almost a cream underbody that had a hint or tint of green in it. Fish went bonkers over them.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Without a size to go from, I would say it looks like a March Brown to me. The wings seem a little more tan which leans more toward that than a Hex. I agree that it does seem a little early even in North Carolina for Hexes. I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sure need more info on size.
Looks like it could be a number of bugs but a dorthea..keep in mind the south flies look a bit different than our northern cousins.Another flie that may be in the running is Stenonema canadensis....Light cahill..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts