Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Mayfly hatch tends to shut the fishing down on Erie, but when should it start happening.? I live an hour and a half away and would like to make the best of the few days I get to fish. Thanks in advance guys. FRANK

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
We had a bunch on boat yesterday. But honestly, with all the fish around my opinion is it won’t hurt much (I’m no expert).

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Saw the first one today. There are SO many very hungry fish out there I think that you maybe OK this year. Try a "weapon" with a small brown/gold blade and a small piece of night crawler.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
We have caught the trolling right through the hatch for years. Does it slow down sure sometimes but still catch plenty. Just have to clean lines more often the get the husks off.

Mark that would be casting weapons.

·
Banned
37,197 Posts
Troll or cast it? Thanks!

I prefer to cast, if the wind allows for a good drift.

Given the right conditions I would run 2 rods with bottom bouncers and a harness with a bait float. I would cast with the weapon, trying different rates of retrieves to find the active fish.

·
Premium Member
2,809 Posts
I know the Mayfly hatch tends to shut the fishing down on Erie, but when should it start happening.? I live an hour and a half away and would like to make the best of the few days I get to fish. Thanks in advance guys. FRANK
The hatch can make fishing better. When there is a big hatch just. Change up the program a bit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I feel it doesn't hurt the fishing much seems like the fish are a little higher in the water column. I put a small bead 3 ft above my lure most of the mayfly husks get caught on this and you're lure stays fishing below also helps with small pieces of grass learned this trick over 20 years ago works great

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Roofer, when was this? Frank

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
I've done just fine on the river, during the hatches, in the evening. The fish seem to be all over the water column. I've looked down on the water with my headlamp on and seen the fish cruising just below the surface. I remember people telling me that they would run crawler harnesses 10 feet behind their boards during mayfly time and catch plenty of fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts