Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Jerome Road near the rapids on 3-13. Fished with 3 other buddies. All in all, we caught 12 walleye and only put 3 on the stringer. Had a lot of fish on and lost em during the fight. All Fish were jacks in numerous sizes. Weather really played havoc on our equipment all morning. Ice was not too fun...chartruse metal fleck was the ticket this morning, with white being the second color of choice. All on carolina floater rig. Did see some fish caught on lead this morning though. Only keep fish if the hook is IN THE MOUTH!!! Only bummer is when you catch a walleye and the hook is on the outside of the mouth but penetrated into the mouth, you do the right thing and throw em back. THEN ya get guys next to you who catch em on the nose or outter gillplates and put em on the stringer. Gotta luv it! River fishing at its finest. Will be back there at sunrise tomorrow morning...anybody wanna meet up, leave a message or e-mail me

Corey

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
Man them walleyes must be thick in there. I know guys who go down there and snag the heck out of them. If I caught one hooked on the outside of the mouth it'd be goin on my stringer. Chances are it hit at the lure.

I've never snagged a walleye before, caught about 40 a couple years ago from march 1-15 not one of them were snagged. I don't understand why people have to snag them when they are easy to get to bite!

·
Registered
956 Posts
the "outside in" rule is pure BS. however it is an expensive rule to ignore and fruitless case in fighting. i've always wondered what power binoculars a dnr officer needs to see that a fish hooked in the mouth is "inside out" (legal) or "outside in".

·
Registered
931 Posts
I've always was curious on what the big deal about that rule. If you catch it on your line then you should be able to keep it if its the minimum size or bigger. I will have to meet you there one of these days soon CMFish51, not sure exactly how to get there but can meet ya there sometime. Planning on hitting Orleans Park on Sunday morning (next weekend) with some peeps on here.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i've got news for you guys--i'd be very careful about keeping anything that isn't hooked in the mouth-- the stranger standing next to you could be undercover ODNR and they will not hesitate to let you break the law and slap you with a hefty ticket--it's not very sporting and is certainly against the law to keep "snagged " fish-- the fish will be thick in there soon--go out and have some fun:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second that Ramlund - I had a buddy fishing in between some guys he did not know. The guy to the left caught a snagged fish and put it on the stringer. The guy to the right of him was a ODNR officer, walked over showed his badge and said lets take a ride. Funny thing is, the guy that got busted was back out on the river about 3 hours later. He went down to the courthouse and got fined 85 bucks for one walleye and they confiscated his fish. I talked to a ODNR officer last year and he said that they get freezer fulls of fish and donate them to homeless shleters. Watch your back, no fish is worth 85 bucks...Just have fun out there and be safe!

Corey

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fished same area as Saturday just below the rapids off of Jerome road. Caught 7 total. But let me better rephrase that. Caught 2 walleye and 5 shad type sucker type things( ? )...Those shad things were on the feedbag today. Seen a lot of guys catching em in the area. Some guys left with one walleye, most left with empty stringers. Had a boat try to set up 40 yards right out in front of us around 8:30. We could cast right in the boat if we wanted too. They stayed not even 2 minutes and decided to leave. They then tried to get the anchor out and had some problems, all while the guy was flooring the motor and just tearin up our hole that we were trying to fish. Needless to say it was pretty slow after that. So thanks fellas....Thats river fishing, can't wait till next weekend, will be out on Erie hopefully away from some of this madness. Good luck guys it will only get better here on out!

RockinMichigan - Let me know, I head out during thew weekdays in the morning sometimes and get out on the weekends, when I can not get out on Erie...

Corey

·
Registered
931 Posts
CMFish51, just out of curiousity, could those "5 shad type sucker type things" be gobies? In my honest and humble opinion gobies kinda look like suckers ever so slightly.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Quill back carpsuckers. Goofy things appear everyyear, thats the only place Ive ever seen or caught them too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
We get the quillbacks below 6th steet damn in late winter too. Goofy looking things....They usually run 2-4 pounds and fight pretty hard. Looks like a carp/sucker hybrid and has an extension on the dorsal fin. Heres a typical example:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PikeDevil - Those are it, thats what everybody was catching on the river Sunday.

Going out this afternoon 3-15 for a couple hours before the front comes on in. Maybe they will put a feedbag on before we get this snow...will post later on how I do

Corey

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RockinMichigan - Fished Monday from 2-3:30 PM and it was TERRIBLE!!! Did not see anybody catch a legal walleye. One guy had three on his stringer, but I have no clue how long he was there...I caught one 4-6 pound quill back carpsucker thingy....thats it....snapped off 8 rigs also...it was soo damn busy, I couldn't move anywhere else, so I left...Guys from earlier said it was pretty slow also....BTW fished below the rapids at Jerome

·
Registered
931 Posts
CMFish51, better luck next time though. At least you can say you caught something, that carpsucker. Nothing spectacular but worth saying you did catch something. Better then nothing. I hate it when the fishing is busy but I suppose sometimes that's a good thing because they're biting or will be soon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts