Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we finally need to get a new mattress. we have a memory foam that has worn out in 7 years and sucks. Looking at the reviews on sleep number and temperpedic mattresses. I like the sleep number bed but the reviews about air leakage and how you will roll to the middle of the bed scare me.
So what do you have?

·
Super Moderator
37,505 Posts
Have sleep number. OK but not worth the coin nor worthy of the hype. Going back to a good quilt top soon.....

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,186 Posts
Have sleep number. OK but not worth the coin nor worthy of the hype. Going back to a good quilt top soon.....
DOH! Thats what I wanted to try next, we have one in the spare room and while only a small bed and at night I'd roll out of it, I like it when I lay on it.

·
Super Moderator
37,505 Posts
DOH! Thats what I wanted to try next, we have one in the spare room and while only a small bed and at night I'd roll out of it, I like it when I lay on it.
Just because it isn't right for us doesn't mean it's not right for you. We just both like the mattress so hard the sleep numbers are like trying to sleep on a convex surface, out head and feet are lower than our middle, and we just cant seem to find the right number on either side. It's been a year, experiment is up.........

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Our sleep number bed wore out in about 5 years. The rebuild kit was something like $350'ish so I got a coil spring mattress and trashed the sleep number. Sleep number beds contain memory foam pads and even good memory foam only last so long...

·
Premium Member
12,112 Posts
Sleep Number! 75/85 for me. I'm a BIG guy. Back problems left me when we got ours maybe 15 years ago. King, two twins with a foam piece between. I fell a few months ago, my back went out I about called for a meat wagon. Went to bed and moved some air in the bed and worked out the kinks. Was walking the next day!:cool:

We bought our son one in '09. A one piece queen. He loves it!

Radisson has them. Or did. Go for a test ride! Hit the store and try for your number.

I do like a firm mattress and have turned it up to 95 or so.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The most firm tempurpedic is what we we've had for a couple years and it's great. I too have back problems, and it's been a game changer for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,186 Posts
Sleep Number! 75/85 for me. I'm a BIG guy. Back problems left me when we got ours maybe 15 years ago. King, two twins with a foam piece between. I fell a few months ago, my back went out I about called for a meat wagon. Went to bed and moved some air in the bed and worked out the kinks. Was walking the next day!:cool:

We bought our son one in '09. A one piece queen. He loves it!

Radisson has them. Or did. Go for a test ride! Hit the store and try for your number.

I do like a firm mattress and have turned it up to 95 or so.
Thanks for the Raddison tip, might do it, but want one soon and still intend to do so...

·
Registered
26,517 Posts
Sleep number for us...60 for me and 35 for her. We love it for about 10 years now.

·
Premium Member
8,999 Posts
The most firm tempurpedic is what we we've had for a couple years and it's great. I too have back problems, and it's been a game changer for me.

Same for me and I tried everything. They sleep a little warm but its the best mattress I've ever owned and I haven't had a serious back problem since and my back is wrecked. The wife or I can get out of the bed at night and never, ever disturb the other one of us. I'd recommend at least trying one of these. I think they have a guarantee that you'll like it and they should for what they cost!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Same for me and I tried everything. They sleep a little warm but its the best mattress I've ever owned and I haven't had a serious back problem since and my back is wrecked. The wife or I can get out of the bed at night and never, ever disturb the other one of us. I'd recommend at least trying one of these. I think they have a guarantee that you'll like it and they should for what they cost!
we have a memory foam now. it has broken down pretty bad. When we first got it was awesome. never felt the other one move. now i feel everything on the other side.

Go for a test ride! Hit the store and try for your number.
we are planning on it. What worried me was some of the reviews that said the 1 in the store was way more comfortable than the 1 delivered. We wanted the king split but some said that they have a problem with the area in the middle. Maybe because yours is 1 piece that helps. How loud is the air pump? Some you tube vids showed it was very noisey?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the input guys. Lot a dough to throw at a mattress

·
Registered
35,262 Posts
We have had a Temperpedic for nearly a year. No issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
we have a memory foam now. it has broken down pretty bad. When we first got it was awesome. never felt the other one move. now i feel everything on the other side.

we are planning on it. What worried me was some of the reviews that said the 1 in the store was way more comfortable than the 1 delivered. We wanted the king split but some said that they have a problem with the area in the middle. Maybe because yours is 1 piece that helps. How loud is the air pump? Some you tube vids showed it was very noisey?

I don't think the imitations are as good as the tempurpedic. We haven't had ours for too long, I think 3 years, but feels just like the day we bought it. I'm a hot sleeper, and my biggest worry was it being too hot, but hasn't been a problem.

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Take a look at Saatva mattresses. I have one coming here on Thursday as a matter of fact. The reviews all seem decent and the price even more so.
The downside is they are only sold online so a quick test isn't possible. The upside to that is that you get a 45 day trial with it. From what I've read, if it needs to be returned it's hassle-free.
It's not air or foam but made the old-fashioned way but with what looks to be good materials and design.
I've been let down by the big name mattresses that just don't seem to hold up so I'll let you know within 45 days how the Saatva works out for us.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Take a look at Saatva mattresses. I have one coming here on Thursday as a matter of fact. The reviews all seem decent and the price even more so.
The downside is they are only sold online so a quick test isn't possible. The upside to that is that you get a 45 day trial with it. From what I've read, if it needs to be returned it's hassle-free.
It's not air or foam but made the old-fashioned way but with what looks to be good materials and design.
I've been let down by the big name mattresses that just don't seem to hold up so I'll let you know within 45 days how the Saatva works out for us.
please do.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I see your in Ohio, if you are close to toledo I just bought a pillow top firm at a place called Furniture Palace for 350.00 I have had it 3 weeks and LOVE it. Beats the 1200.00 POS that my wife bought 4 years ago....we took that thing to da U.P!

·
Registered
13,486 Posts
My wife, and I splurged on a Sterns and Foster pillow-top mattress some years ago. We vacuum it, and turn it regularly - pillow-top on both sides. It is the best mattress I've ever slept on. Anytime we travel, it is great to come home to OUR bed.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how do you like it?

·
Registered
7,943 Posts
Well die4irish, it came early and was set up by two guys who obviously did this a lot. They were in and out quickly and took the old Stearns and Foster out with them. The only thing they didn't do was make the bed!
So far I can't say much except I slept well and so did my wife. That, I didn't expect because she usually likes a real soft mattress. That may be from sleeping in feather beds in her younger years.
The mattress and box seem very well made and the materials seem top-notch.
It didn't knock our socks off but felt more like a bed you've slept in long enough to not be surprised by it.
So far, it's just a bed but seems better all around than the two other top brands I've owned. Time will tell and I still have 44 days to see if it's right for us.
One thing I really liked was the height options for both the mattress and the box. I haven't seen that fine headboard of ours for years and was able to go back in time and get the size mattress the bed was made for. That was a cool feature for us.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts