Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gotta 6'6" St. Croix, light weight, fast action. Its not the ultra light. I'll be mostly fishing Erie and LSC for perch and eyes. I already have my mind made up on either a Daiwa or Stradic, but I'm really having a hard time figuring out what size to go with. I like the 2000 Stradics, but I guess they don't make those anymore. I'm kinda wondering if I went with the Stradic1000, would I be able to use it on the ice also? The "S" series Daiwa's seem pretty good too, same problem though,, what size????

Any suggestions, are appreciated.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I,love my Daiwa 2500 Regal-Z,but is probably a little bigger than you are looking for.
I,just bought a new Pleuger/Trion,that I like pretty well also.I,bought the 6-10lb class,but they make a 4-8lb that is a little lighter.7bearings and the best fold down handle that I've seen on any reel yet.Not sloppy like some fold handles tend to be.For $40 at Gander Mt.,it's not a bad deal.
I'haven't used any shimano's,but know they make good stuff.
I,always liked Penn,but it took them so long to come out with any instant/infinite anti-reverse,that I stayed away for a while.I,think my next reel will be Penn's new Slammer reel,but that is probably heavier than you are looking for.
Some of the new Okuma's look intriguing to me.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I love St. Croix rods. I have three of them, two for jigging the river and one ultra-light.

For the river I have each set up with a Quantum Kenetic, No. 10. I think a really great reel.

Here's a pic.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 1000 size stradic should be OK, I think. I have a couple of 6'6" St. Croixs (M and ML) and I have Capricorn 2000's on them. I love those set-ups.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
The gander in Taylor has some shimano's on the clearance rack. My friend just picked up a 6 ft light rapala rod and a shimano sedona 2000 for a panfish rod

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
someone a while back told me that the difference between the 1000 series and the 2000 series was just the spool? is this true?

Ok, heres the deal with shimano, their newer lines i believe go from 1000, 2500, 4000, etc.

Retrieve Rate(in) Capacity Gear Ratio Wt(oz)
ST1000FH 29 2/270, 4/140, 6/110 6.0:1 7.9
ST2500FH 33 6/200, 8/140, 10/120 6.0:1 9.7

Depending on the walleye fishing you want to do, I would be hard pressed to recommend the 1000.... if you are going to do trolling with this rod, well, after several breakoffs, reties, etc. you may be a little short for line. For jigging with 6lb, I dont' see a problem with the 1000.

This fall I used several of the older 2000 models that are just a wee bit smaller than the 2500. They are my all purpose reels, use one for river steelhead, walleye, perch, etc. With a 6'6" light rod, i bet this would balance out pretty well. I'd take my rod in with me to a smaller store (just saying this cuz larger stores may freak out) and put on some reels and see what balances out. Balance is ultimately what should determine what you're putting on a rod, because who wants to fish with something they have to fight with?

steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
I learned over the summer from the guys and Lake Side Fishing Shop 2. That the amount of line the reel says it will hold is rarely correct. They said most reels would be with 10-20 yards of that amount. Though they have had reels that the number has been off by 50 yards. My Ultra light a 500 series of some sort only holds around 60 yards of 4 pound when it should hold 100. So just something to take into consideration.

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Line capacity isn't one of my main concerns, I can't remember the last time I got spooled by a perch or walleye. I figure, the more line on my reel,, the more tangles I'm likely to get into.:rolleyes: I've yet to see a reel that will "lay" the line correctly.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
yes, but one good run from a musky that took your line while trolling, and if you are cutting it close to capacity as is, you might be in trouble.... or after a while of fishing, i always go through line, either knicked line, or frayed, or retying, changing up rigs, going from trolling to jigging, etc. etc. etc.

steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts