Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at planting around 3000 pines, a mix of white, red, and spruce. How long would this take with a group of 4 or 5 guys? I was wondering if there are any businesses out there that would plant for me, without having to commit harvest to them? I tried googling, but came up empty handed. Any guidance on whether or not to do on my own, hire out, or other would be great.

·
Registered
22,721 Posts
You might pester some folks who grow lots of trees. Or those who network with treefarmers...
To try and figure out how to get ahold of equipment to plant high numbers of seedlings with.
They may hire planting out and give you a contact too.(?)

https://www.mcta.org/

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
If you were planting them in open fields with a tractor and tree planter you could plant them in one day.

If you are planting them helter-skelter in wooded areas where you can't use a planter, of course it will take longer. My wife planted 1,000 spruce plugs all by herself one year using basic planting tools. Another year, I planted 1,000 all by myself. We didn't do it in one day, of course, but over a period of maybe 3 days.

I would think with 4 or 5 guys you could easily plant 3,000 over a weekend.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Like Wild Thing said, if you're planting in a field, a tractor and tree planter will make short work of it.

Our local conservation district tree catalog usually has a couple people advertising this service.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you were planting them in open fields with a tractor and tree planter you could plant them in one day.

If you are planting them helter-skelter in wooded areas where you can't use a planter, of course it will take longer. My wife planted 1,000 spruce plugs all by herself one year using basic planting tools. Another year, I planted 1,000 all by myself. We didn't do it in one day, of course, but over a period of maybe 3 days.

I would think with 4 or 5 guys you could easily plant 3,000 over a weekend.
I was reading another thread where you mentioned plugs are the way to go for spruce. Would you say the same for red pine? Those two websites for Minnesota dealers are money! Pricing is really good, and I'm sure survivability is much higher.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I was reading another thread where you mentioned plugs are the way to go for spruce. Would you say the same for red pine? Those two websites for Minnesota dealers are money! Pricing is really good, and I'm sure survivability is much higher.
Absolutely! Plugs are the way to go for any kind of conifer IMO. I have had a much higher percentage of trees that survive - in fact, very high 90th percentile, unless there is a drought. But I would still prefer plugs over bare root even if they didn't survive better, simply because they are so much easier to plant.

Did I mention this before...."I will never plant another bare root conifer seedling".

True story...

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Absolutely! Plugs are the way to go for any kind of conifer IMO. I have had a much higher percentage of trees that survive - in fact, very high 90th percentile, unless there is a drought. But I would still prefer plugs over bare root even if they didn't survive better, simply because they are so much easier to plant.

Did I mention this before...."I will never plant another bare root conifer seedling".

True story...
I think I am going to make the change this year as well and plant plugs. I really like helping out the SCD, but I am being selfish here and really want a return on my investment. I think one of those ways will be to plant plugs this year.
Out of shear curiosity, what are you using to plant these with? Do you use your typical dibble bar, or would you suggest planting these with a small shovel?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I am looking at planting around 3000 pines, a mix of white, red, and spruce. How long would this take with a group of 4 or 5 guys? I was wondering if there are any businesses out there that would plant for me, without having to commit harvest to them? I tried googling, but came up empty handed. Any guidance on whether or not to do on my own, hire out, or other would be great.
I think you would be surprised at how many trees you can get in the ground with 4-5 guys. If you have (2) teams set up (one spading and one planting) and utilize the 3rd guy to keep bringing stock back and forth, you will bang that out in no time.
The main crux of it all is to give back to the land in the spring and there is nothing better than getting out with a bunch of buddies on a nice saturday in April and plant. Chances are you will already be tagged out from Turkey hunting earlier in the day and will need something to do whil drinking beer in the afternoon. Might as well plant 3000 trees!!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Time it takes varies with location. One guy can knock out 500-1000 trees in an open field by himself (depending on your physical conditions) pretty easy (the next day may not be as easy though) but the same guy may only get 150-200 in the ground when traversing the woods and strategically filling certain areas.
If it is all open field, the tractor and transplanter is the way to go for time spent, no doubt. When bringing buddies, it is best to have a monster cooler of beer ready for when it is DONE, not during, otherwise motivation and quality go downhill quickly.
To do plugs, easiest is to have a plug bar, similar in function to a dibble, but instead, it’s end is the same size as the plug you are planting, stomp it in, it makes a hole the size of the plug, then place the plug and set it.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I used a 1 row mechanical planter that we used to plant tomatoes with on the farm. I painted 1 of the holders and used that one to put a tree in each time it came around. It would plant them about every 10'. We planted 500 trees in a few hours.

·
Registered
945 Posts
My 70 year old Dad, my 12 year daughter and I planted 650 bare roots in 8 hours last year. ATV, dibble bar and shovel is only equipment used. It can be done. Planning and keeping stocked up on trees is a big thing.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I think I am going to make the change this year as well and plant plugs. I really like helping out the SCD, but I am being selfish here and really want a return on my investment. I think one of those ways will be to plant plugs this year.
Out of shear curiosity, what are you using to plant these with? Do you use your typical dibble bar, or would you suggest planting these with a small shovel?
I had a buddy of mine weld me up a planting bar. Just used the dimensions of the same sized plugs I was planting - but maybe a 1/4" - 1/2" longer as you want the top of the plug to be slightly below ground level:

Can not upload photos right now for some reason. Will try again later.

·
Registered
22,721 Posts
I had a buddy of mine weld me up a planting bar. Just used the dimensions of the same sized plugs I was planting - but maybe a 1/4" - 1/2" longer as you want the top of the plug to be slightly below ground level:

This site is dragging. Server I think.
Was receiving error codes earlier today saying wait 30 seconds when trying to post. Plain text even ,not pics....

·
Registered
1,436 Posts

I am going to have to look into this and see if they are available commercially. I personally don't have the ability to fabricate one, but it does seem like a pretty simple thing to make.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Our scouts can plant 1000 trees in about 3 hours. They do it every year for our township. This is a service project that they're required to do, but they do get pizza and pop for doing it. We used to put in 5000 on a weekend for a private land owner who paid the scouts. Kids bend over lots better than adults.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.