Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I've got both and operators hardly ever call my cell. I'd rather do away with the office phone and force the issue.
Wait, are you saying that cell phones can actually be used to talk into like a regular phone? About 95% of my work communication is done via texting (young crowd) and emails (the Boomers I work with).

An actual land line is a complete waste of money in most places these days.

·
Super Moderator
35,161 Posts
Wait, are you saying that cell phones can actually be used to talk into like a regular phone? About 95% of my work communication is done via texting (young crowd) and emails (the Boomers I work with).

An actual land line is a complete waste of money in most places these days.
Ya. In one way i'd rather have an email because its hard for me to investigate something and listen at the same time. But... over text I can't ask questions quickly as often as is required. Its basically "this equipment is doing (fill in blank) and I don't know why". So its a lot quicker to ask questions over the phone and get a reply right away to track it down and have the operator view the impact of what I've done/confirm all is right in that little sliver of the world.

I prefer my wife to text me so I have record of what we told each other lol.

·
Administrator
35,623 Posts
I see mask wearing going on for quite a while until this thing gets sorted out for 3 reasons.

1. The Israel who has rolled out an extensive vaccine campaign with the Phizer vaccine is reporting a real world effectiveness of 50%.
2. Both getting the vaccine and getting the disease only offer a limited window of protection based on early reports.
3. We have already seen that the virus has mutated and in some cases into faster spreading strains. There have been some late reports that the vaccines may not be effective against the newer protein spikes on the later strains. We will likely be in a situation like the flu vaccines where they will have to be tweaked every year.

·
Super Moderator
35,161 Posts
I see mask wearing going on for quite a while until this thing gets sorted out for 3 reasons.

1. The Israel who has rolled out an extensive vaccine campaign with the Phizer vaccine is reporting a real world effectiveness of 50%.
2. Both getting the vaccine and getting the disease only offer a limited window of protection based on early reports.
3. We have already seen that the virus has mutated and in some cases into faster spreading strains. There have been some late reports that the vaccines may not be effective against the newer protein spikes on the later strains. We will likely be in a situation like the flu vaccines where they will have to be tweaked every year.
Why wouldn't they show same efficacy? Different measurement? Different strains? Is there really even enough time yet?

I have not seen anything but speculation about efficacy and new strains. The good thing is that supposedly this type of vaccine is fairly "easy" to adapt.

·
Administrator
35,623 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,598 Posts
I've got both and operators hardly ever call my cell. I'd rather do away with the office phone and force the issue.
My office phone broke and IT was too busy to get to me. I shoved it in in my overhead storage bin and figured if people needed to call me, my cell was in the company directory and in my email signature. That was 3 years ago and I haven't looked back.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
I am gonna continue to wear a mask because I wanna get paid, I gotta new boat I might be able to pay off by the end of next month.

But, 12 hours a day 7 days a week wearing a mask is getting old

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
So you're just like everyone else... you only care when you're told.
The day the mandates are lifted, all the hypocrites of the world will breathe a little easier!
EDIT: I'm not calling you a hypocrite, as you readily admit you only wear one because you're told.

·
Registered
6,135 Posts
I was talking cell phones not office phones. I havent had an office phone in 12 yrs.
The company I work for dumped cell phones a few years ago and provided a $20 per week subsidy for to use your personal phone. I opted to get a separate phone due to an app the company forces you to install which gives them the ability to wipe the phone

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
After a company merger they took away one of my PTO weeks and gave me 10 sick days. So, I damn well will schedule my buck fever and mental health days. Every cold front in October, I am now sick.
I personally think mental health days are a perfectly acceptable use of sick leave - as is caring for sick dependents and attending medical appointments.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
So you're just like everyone else... you only care when you're told.
The day the mandates are lifted, all the hypocrites of the world will breathe a little easier!
EDIT: I'm not calling you a hypocrite, as you readily admit you only wear one because you're told.
Pretty much everything I do at work is "only because I'm told".

They call it "work" and a "job" for a reason. I wouldn't be here if they weren't paying me... and I LIKE my job.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm not a big believer in "the mask".
Decided a long time ago I'm not going to fear this thing.
The only time I used it is at the Dr. office and bank.
I respect the people that wear them and give them their 6' space.
Most mask wearers are playing with the mask, touching their face, or pulling it down under their nose. Which makes you wonder how effective is it? Or how many days have they used that dirty rag on their face?
You walk in a party store and grab a Coke pay for it and 2 min later your in your truck with the mask down taking a big ol drink.
How many people think about the guy that picked up the Coke and changed his mind and put it back and grabbed a root beer.
Or that sneezing runny nose stock boy that put it there 10 minutes earlier. Who was handling that change they just give you?
My buddies kids just played a hockey game where it was 4 on 4, no more than 10 kids on the ice because of covid rules. The spectator seats had no rules. People with masks, people without, sitting shoulder to shoulder.
Makes you wonder who makes the rules.
One of the most dangerous things we do everyday is jump in the car or truck and take off down the road. Are we in fear? Most probably don't even think of that danger.
If you wear a mask, I'll respect that.
Life is full of danger, I'm just done with the fear.

·
Premium Member
28,111 Posts
Most mask wearers are playing with the mask, touching their face, or pulling it down under their nose. Which makes you wonder how effective is it? Or how many days have they used that dirty rag on their face?
Playing with the mask, touching your face, or the mask being dirty have zero affect on the effectiveness of masks at preventing the MASK WEARER from spreading his germs... which is the point of the mask.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Playing with the mask, touching your face, or the mask being dirty have zero affect on the effectiveness of masks at preventing the MASK WEARER from spreading his germs... which is the point of the mask.
I suppose your right, as long as they don't touch a shopping cart or any merchandise.

Reactions: walleyemagic
81 - 100 of 160 Posts