Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Limit catch Saturday night whipping on the river 10:15pm to 12:10am. Had 2 quick releases lost 1 at the boat and threw an almost 13er back. All were caught on glow in the dark. Don't know for sure if it is a Bomber or a Thunder stick. It did the trick what ever it is.............Bob B.
18 Fow
SSW wind 15 mph and up :bash:
45.0 degrees water temp.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
207 Posts
I recently viewed a instructional video on "whipping". If you have 3 baits in tandem, each having 3 sets of trebles, how can that be legal? How many times do you bring in the baits & they are tangled in 1 big mess? With the short stiff rod almost seems like legal snagging.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Right from the guide:

Hook and line fishing: Fish so taken must be hooked in the mouth. Fish not hooked in the mouth must be
returned to the water immediately. No more than two lines per person (including tip-ups) nor more than four
hooks or lures may be used. Except: on Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Lake Superior and the St. Marys
River, those persons in the act of trolling while targeting trout/salmon may use 3 rods/lines and attach no more
than six hooks total on all lines. *All hooks attached to an artificial bait or "night crawler harness" are counted
one hook.Hooks must be baited or attached to an artificial bait. You may use any number of hooks on one line
taking smelt in recognized smelt waters. Tip-ups and similar devices used for ice fishing must show the angler's
name and address. All lines must be under immediate control. Hook size regulations exist on certain streams
(see Exceptions to General Regulations by County (pages 14-17).

You can have 4 lures with as many hooks as you want and be legal.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I think I know the next place Curt and I will be in our boats!! ;) :lol: ...right now working 12 hrs......hopefully will not have to this weekend....if not...I can hope to put another package in that new stand up freezer I had to buy!!! :lol:

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Big Laker..... I don't run my lures in tandem, I stack them and only use one lure per leader. Seems to me the action of the first two lures are being restricked from the pull of the third. But what do I know, we all catch fish thats the main thing.
As for the Snickers wrappers, they've helped catch a lot of Walleye :) ........Bob B.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
105 Posts
If I had a dollar for everytime you posted your set up pic... or better yet, for every time you posted a limit of eyes!!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Nice job on the :fish: Bob way to rap up the season. I use the old set up with two body baits. I like fall fishing for SCR walleyes more than spring, ever since I started my own business I can't find time to go. Hope they hang around for next year.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Don't think old Bob is ready to give up on this season quite yet- are you Bob? Everyone is still taking fish and with the temps in the high forties by Monday it's not over until the last boat is put away...........

by the way mine is already :sad: what was I thinking?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope, not ready to put it away just yet. With everyone out hunting, I pretty much have the pick of the river. Fish are biting too good right now. Once you figure out what color they want it don't take long to get your limit. The fish are hitting the lure real hard right now, like hooking onto a brick wall. I'll fish right up till I can't get the boat in the water.....Bob B. :D

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Had some work done to my engine and boat.....Mechanic went ahead and winterized it....Oops...oh well...I have the kicker off and am prepared to install the new one....have to do some transom trimming to get her to fit properly....will get her all ready for a good full season next year!! This was my first 1/2 season handlinning out there and loved it....with a few improvements to the boat..looking forward to giving her heck next year!!! Good fishing Bob B...enjoy the solitude!! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bob, acouple of years ago I was searching for someone who explained whipping
for walleye, when I came across one of your posts on this site.
You had photos of a nice limit of walleye along with a diagram of your setup.
I copied your set up, and have had much success from it.
I fish the Canadian side of the St.Clair river, mostly by the island across from Algonac, as many of you know, not a bad spot.
I just wanted to thank you Bob, and the rest of the guys (gals) on this board for the information they share.
Keep smiling.

Pat Johnston

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Welcome to the site Robert Johnstonn, you will find a bunch of great info here most of the time ;) bunch of good old-boy's and girl's on here. Welcome..

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your welcome Patrick. Glad to hear a little of my input helped you out. You said you fish the Canadian side all the time, are you Canadian?
Welcome to the site Patrick, you won't find a better one anywhere.....Bob B.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike, Bob, thanks for the welcome.

Yes Bob, I am a Canadian. I live in Wallaceburg, and have about a 10 min. drive to the boat launch at McDonald Park, on the Chenal Ecarte (Snye) then a 15 min. boat ride to the St.Clair river. I do drift harnesses up river as far as Lambton Generation Station once in awhile.
I have only been whipping for about a season and a half now, but sometimes I think the term whipping is misnomer. Most of the eyes that I take are by raising the sinker and body baits up, or moving the rod from side to side, and have taken more than a few with rod in the holder while getting a soda.
If you dont mind Bob, what is your prefered technique.
TIA.

Pat Johnston

1 - 18 of 18 Posts