Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NRC nominee needs to watch what she says

A state Senate subcommittee gave Mary Brown a pretty good grilling Tuesday at a confirmation hearing for her and Gerald Hall, her fellow appointee to the Natural Resources Commission.
The third-degree was occasioned by an article in Michigan Outdoor News magazine, which quoted Brown as saying things that sounded pretty dumb and unsympathetic to hunters.

http://www.freep.com/sports/outdoors/eric12_20040212.htm

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Some of you have been following my appointment to the Natural Resources Commission.

Bob Gwizdz' column in Booth newspapers Saturday was about my appointment to the Natural Resources Commission and the fact that the Senate took no action after the lengthy confirmation hearing on March 10.

You can find his column at
http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/107705763131810.
xml

And, here is the clarification I sent him as soon as I read his column.

One clarification in your column today--I am a member of the Sierra > Club and listed that on the bio I submitted to both the Governor and the Senate.

I am not an active member as my husband is. He is active in the local chapter serving on the board and program planning committee and on the state political committee. I agree with the Club on most but not all issues relating to our environment.

You are absolutely correct that I am not anti-hunter.

Mary Brown
[email protected]

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This was in the Muskegon Chronicle Wed. 3/3/04. The Senate was just full of bs air with no vote taken.

Appointee fails to win approval

State Senate leaders said Tuesday they won’t vote on Gov. Jennifer Granholm’s appointment of former state Rep. Mary Brown to the natural Resources Commission because they say Brown didn’t perform well at her advise and consent hearing.

Brown, 68, will still join the commission, which sets policy for the state Department of Natural Resources and hires the department’s director. Appointees are considered approved unless rejected by the full Senate.

The Senate Appropriations Natural Resources Subcommittee didn’t take action on Brown’s appointment at its hearing Tuesday, although it did approve Granholm’s appointment of Gerald Hall, a retired construction laborer and union leader from Gaines.

Subcommittee Chairwoman Micelle McManus, R-Lake Leelanau, said Brown gave some strange answers to questions asked of her during her advise and consent hearing on Feb.10.

“For example, we asked her if the departments of Natural Resources and Environmental Quality were recombined, would she still be able to serve effectively as a commissioner. She responded by saying she would have to see if she had the time and energy to do it,“ McManus said.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts