Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Myself, Mr. Botek, and a few other members are doing a joint M-S/Michigan Darkhouse Angling Association perch and pike spearing outing this Saturday (1/24) on Lake St. Clair.

We will be marking as many abandoned spear holes as we can find with evergreen branches on the way to and from our destination, while ensuring we have an adequate supply of brush to safely mark all of our holes.

It is the opinion of MDAA as well as the majority of spearers, that unmarked spearing holes are dangerous and irresponsible. Although it is every ice fisherman's responsibility to use caution and be situationally aware by not assuming any step on the ice is safe, it is the responsibility of every spearer to safely mark their hole.

Understand that unmarked holes are left by slobs, not spearers, and that this is not the norm for those that regularly partake in our sport.

We encourage every spearer to bring more than enough branches to mark their own hole and others when spearing.

Be safe and enjoy your time on the water!

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
Yupp hit the nail on the head and thanks for marking the holes yall find im sure it will save a few people from gettin wet there are alot of unmarked holes out there

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Very well said!!! I don't spear, but I do ice fish and you have NO idea how much I appreciate what you are doing.
The lake that I spend the majority of my time on, does not have many people spearing, but in my travels, should I come across an unmarked spearing hole, count me in as marking them. No chance I'd just leave that for someone to go through.
Again, thank you and maybe others will see what you are doing and do the same.
:)

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well said Firefighter.

Have to say the man that formulated the original post is somewhat wise *cough* Dean Botek *cough*.

Peter, perch spearing season goes through the last day of February on St. Clair and pike spearing closes March 15th.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI, Oakland County Parks has free Christmas tree recycling. White Lake Oaks and a few other locations has HUNDREDS of Christmas trees sitting in their parking lots, awaiting their date with the chipper. All the hole marking anyone needs for a whole season is there. Stock up.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Thank you guys! It'll be a very busy weekend out between Geno's and Metro with a WCSX perch tournament Saturday and a kids fish outing Sunday both at the daysail. You guys rock!

·
Registered
330 Posts
I was out Sunday morning riding the sled with my kids out of SANG - I was amazed by how many spearing holes were only "marked" by the ice chunks taken out of them! Any snow on the ice would make these nearly impossible to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I agree I am one who spears and appreciate this thread too. With me being a spearer it always jerks me with unmarked holes, especially the giant holes. Can't even run the quad as fast as I like to go to get where I need to in fear I may drive into one of them holes. On top of that I don't make my holes wider then 8" but may be long. I slide the cube back in and pench the Marking branches between the cube and existing ice.

·
Registered
11,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we marked 14 spearing holes from The Salt to The Barracks today. Hard to miss. Botek took the opportunity to enlighten a few people in a diplomatic fashion as well.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
As a first timer to St Clair what really surprised me was how many people not only didn't mark holes, but left the blocks out, some standing on end! When I asked a couple of people as they were walking away if they were going to mark their hole, their response was "That's what the blocks are for".
Instead of going into a sermon, I simply asked if they minded if we marked the hole. I think their conscious got the better of them and they help me do it. I'll admit I might have got a plug or two in for the MDAA in the process😊
Firefighter said I never wasted an opportunity to be politicing!

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I want to thank you guys for what your doing. My wife and I went out just south of cotton rd yesterday and we clearly saw branches sticking up from the ice which was awesome! We're still learning this sport and Its very nerve racking walking out there but this allows us to stay away from the area's that were marked.

She even stoped and ask me "whats that sticking up" and it allowed me to stop and explain details of why from what I've read on here.

Lessons learned

Thanks again guys!!

Louis

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I want to thank you guys for what your doing. My wife and I went out just south of cotton rd yesterday and we clearly saw branches sticking up from the ice which was awesome!

Louis
Yep, that was us. We moved after a nice chili lunch on ice.

You're welcome, and thank you for introducing your wife to the sport.

I'd like to tell you that we hammered the perch there, but the truth is each of us only managed a few from that area.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
It was great spending the day on the ice with you guy's on Saturday. Everyone's (except mine) spearing skills definitely showed with the nice perch you speared. I managed a few jumbos, right after you left (of course). Oh, and Jason's firefighter chili was pretty good, too!
Nice meeting you too Bill!

We were almost home when Jason passed word of your late day success. Congratulations!

I only said I told you so to Jason that we should have stayed one time.

Hopefully can come down once more with the wife. Will let you know if so.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts