Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to give a shout out to the spear fishermen on South Lake in Pinckney State Recreation area for leaving their spear holes without marking them!

A few of us were out fishing on South Lake this past weekend on Saturday where we noticed two spearing holes were left practically unmarked. One hole was completely left unmarked and the other hole had some seaweed and an evergreen branch that was left about 4 inches sticking out of the hole. Now mind you this was Saturday evening just before this large snow storm hit us. We watched the spear fishermen leave their holes and waited to which they never came back. We took the liberty to mark their holes since they were not concerned about the safety of others.

South Lake is a pretty active lake for ice fishermen and this ignorance could lead to someone getting hurt or worse! I just want to remind people that if you are spear fishing, please take the extra 30 seconds to mark your holes properly so no one gets injured.

These pictures were taken just before dark on Saturday 1/31/15. Before we marked them (how the spear fishermen left them) and after we marked them. Again, it took 30 seconds to mark them and could have potentially saved someones life.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
AS an avid spear fisherman id like to say on behalf of the guys I share the sport with im truly sorry you ran into this totally unacceptable behavior. its rule number one...period. please do not let this act reflect on the group as a whole and thank you for cleaning up their mess.

·
Premium Member
10,770 Posts
I grew up in SW mich and have ice fished since I was 4 or 5. I use to spear and everyone marked there holes when done. I don't ever rember seeing more than a couple of unmarked holes in that length of time. In 2006 I moved up north and sorry to say that is not the case up here. People move shanties and very seldom mark there holes. A couple of years ago were we walking out and I was talking to a guy to my right. Next thing I know he was in the water up to his arm pits. It had snowed that night and he walked into an open hole. Please mark them if you don't already

·
Registered
380 Posts
I dont spear fish, but am wondering how you guys mark the holes? I think i read a tree branch? What is common practice? I have seen some huge blocks of ice right next to the holes around here, that was good enough for me to realize what was there

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
I return my blocks of ice in the water, for 2 reasons. fill with snow, so when I stick in tree branches they stay, and with the blocks back in the hole there is less water to refreeze, also leaving blocks on the ice, cannot be seen by a snowmobiler, and they freeze in place, and would be like hitting a bridge support

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
oh yes , I also applaud the guys who posted this, and marked the holes. This was very irresponsible, and I would say if you see the guys again, maybe pics could be taken of their lic. plates, and dnr called. I would think, if a tragedy occurred, this could be , or should be negligent homicide, instead of just stupid

·
Registered
380 Posts
So....tree branches is the way to mark them? I am asking so i know what to look for. Not trying to be a smart ass. Do you bring the branches from home? Or hope you find them on site? Not many people spear fish around me, but i do have a buddy that found and unmarked hole the hard way. Good thing his friend was with him to help him out! He was too fat to get out himself and definitely Would have died. What size holes should we be marking? I drill three 6" holes side-by-side and spud them together, do you think i should be marking those. I haven't been since i dont think anyone could fall through. And i am always leaving the lake late so they have all night to re-freeze.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pickle252, someone could step into a hole that size and break a leg or tear up a knee. I guess it is about 20" by 6". I would mark your hole.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AS an avid spear fisherman id like to say on behalf of the guys I share the sport with im truly sorry you ran into this totally unacceptable behavior. its rule number one...period. please do not let this act reflect on the group as a whole and thank you for cleaning up their mess.
I appreciate it flockshot! I have no issues with spear fishermen and I am just glad to see other outdoorsmen enjoying the ice just the same as I do. Just like anything in life, there is always going to be a small group that make a bad name for the rest of us that do the right thing and are responsible. I am just glad that no one got hurt from this.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh yes , I also applaud the guys who posted this, and marked the holes. This was very irresponsible, and I would say if you see the guys again, maybe pics could be taken of their lic. plates, and dnr called. I would think, if a tragedy occurred, this could be , or should be negligent homicide, instead of just stupid
Thank you, like I said before we are just looking out for the safety of others who are enjoying the lake. I will make sure that if we see anyone doing this again to get their license plate number and contact the DNR.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So....tree branches is the way to mark them? I am asking so i know what to look for. Not trying to be a smart ass. Do you bring the branches from home? Or hope you find them on site? Not many people spear fish around me, but i do have a buddy that found and unmarked hole the hard way. Good thing his friend was with him to help him out! He was too fat to get out himself and definitely Would have died. What size holes should we be marking? I drill three 6" holes side-by-side and spud them together, do you think i should be marking those. I haven't been since i dont think anyone could fall through. And i am always leaving the lake late so they have all night to re-freeze.
The most common thing that I see is tree branches. They are easy to see from a far distance and if it snows a lot like what we got on Sunday, they can still be visible if tall enough. Most of the time I see guys just grabbing some branches on site and that is what we did when we noticed these holes were being left unmarked. In regards to your 6" holes spud together; when in doubt mark them. Its better to be cautious and safe then assume and have the worst happen. Like JimJim said, someone could step in and jack up their leg and knee. Another thing to think about is that there might be small children on the ice as well and a hole that might be only be big enough to put a leg through, might be big enough for a kid to fall completely through.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thank you very much for noticing and marking those holes. I was the first person out on South lake Sunday morning with my two kids who know well aware to stay away from the branches and blocks of ice left on top.

By the way there have been a bunch of spearers out there this year so there are a ton of marked holes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I fished there this year and I found 3 holes about 3'x3' unmarked. If your spearing or site fishing make the walk to shore and grab a branch or 2. Be responsible for your actions !

·
Premium Member
10,770 Posts
To everyone that marks the holes thanks. Are far as the hole size think about the kids that may be out there. We took my nephews once when the one was about 8 or 9 and someone had made a 10 inch hole. He walked into it and went in up to his arms. His screaming about broke your ear drums. His dad and I pulled him out but he won't go out on the ice to this day. He has been in combat overseas but is afraid of the ice

·
Registered
380 Posts
By the way, all the blocks of ice I saw sitting on top, near the spearing hole were on Independence lake. So beware if your out there on your snowmobile!!!! Rest assured I will be marking any holes I make that I spud together. Thanks for the feedback again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts