Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased some land in Marion Twp. near Howell. Does anybody have land or hunt near there? If so, how is the hunting? I just put some cams out on the property - I'm extremely anxious to check them!!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I live in Marion Twp. Have does and fawns eating pears in the backyard almost every day. No bucks yet. Had a nice 10 point on camera last year in the backyard, but always at night.

If the private land gets to be too easy...head over to Brighton Rec Area...that will add to the challenge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you've posted some nice pics of bucks. Where do you hunt at?

Where at in Marion Twp do you live?

I live in Marion Twp. Have does and fawns eating pears in the backyard almost every day. No bucks yet. Had a nice 10 point on camera last year in the backyard, but always at night.

If the private land gets to be too easy...head over to Brighton Rec Area...that will add to the challenge.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
Does anybody have land or hunt near there? If so, how is the hunting?
Yes.

Hope you like to hunt antlerless deer. Way too many of them and plenty of neighbors that like to harvest yearling bucks. Hope you are OK not seeing mature bucks during hunting hours.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping that my neighbors kill mature bucks and not yearlings. We'll see - I haven't had the opportunity to speak to them yet.

Yes.

Hope you like to hunt antlerless deer. Way too many of them and plenty of neighbors that like to harvest yearling bucks. Hope you are OK not seeing mature bucks during hunting hours.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes.

You are not in Marion township and I know a lot of selective hunters in that area.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
You are not in Marion township and I know a lot of selective hunters in that area.
He asked about nearby. I think 11.5 miles away qualifies. Glad there are selective hunters there. Is their deer harvest over 60% comprised of antlerless deer?

I would love to hear the OP post the fact that he sees tons of 3 1/2 year old bucks and there is a balanced herd without too many antlerless deer three years down the road. That would be great.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yes.

This is BS and why everyone tires of the QDM jibberish. There are plenty of mature bucks taken (not at night) in the Howell area. I have killed two in the past 4 years myself and I do not own property.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
There are plenty of mature bucks taken (not at night) in the Howell area. I have killed two in the past 4 years myself and I do not own property.
Nothing I said implied that mature bucks aren't taken in the Howell area.

It is my observation that in the OP's area that there are too many antlerless deer. The area nearby holds "officially" 59 DPSM. (just west in Ag areas). Unofficially it is 70 DPSM. It could benefit by fewer antler-less deer and more mature bucks. That is all I said. YMMV.

QDM jibberish is in the eye of the beholder. You saying it is jibberish implies that you favor more antlerless deer on a relative basis and fewer mature bucks (relative buck/doe ratio-wise), correct? Or are you saying you are happy with the current population of antlerless deer and that in addition to that there are plenty of mature, over 3 1/2 year old bucks?

And your mature deer were older than 2 1/2 year old eight points, right? Are they both 3 1/2 year old ten points or older? How many other bucks have you harvested in addition to the two mature ones you mention in the last 4 years (and also prior to the last 4 years)? And how many antler-less deer have you harvested in the last 4 years? I presume it is less than two (not owning land and all, it is probably a waste of your time and money).

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Nothing I said implied that mature bucks aren't taken in the Howell area.

It is my observation that in the OP's area that there are too many antlerless deer. The area nearby holds "officially" 59 DPSM. (just west in Ag areas). Unofficially it is 70 DPSM. It could benefit by fewer antler-less deer and more mature bucks. That is all I said. YMMV.

QDM jibberish is in the eye of the beholder. You saying it is jibberish implies that you favor more antlerless deer on a relative basis and fewer mature bucks (relative buck/doe ratio-wise), correct? Or are you saying you are happy with the current population of antlerless deer and that in addition to that there are plenty of mature, over 3 1/2 year old bucks?

And your mature deer were older than 2 1/2 year old eight points, right? Are they both 3 1/2 year old ten points or older? How many other bucks have you harvested in addition to the two mature ones you mention in the last 4 years (and also prior to the last 4 years)? And how many antler-less deer have you harvested in the last 4 years? I presume it is less than two (not owning land and all, it is probably a waste of your time and money).
The OP did not ask for you to guess what his neighbors do and for your declaration that mature bucks don't move around during the day in his township. He asked how the hunting was from people that hunt there.. He's excited about owning a new piece of land.

I'm friends with a lot of QDM guys on this site. Some are on my contest team. Others I've met at gatherings and I like them. I respect what they do. I like them and hope they continue to educate. I'd love Michigan to be like Iowa. It's not. Their are a select few QDM guys, that are like the Jehova's Witnesses of deer hunting and have to interject everywhere and try to impose their ideals on people. I don't care for that.

Although it's not your business, both of the bucks I referenced were over 3.5 years old. You can search or whatever to see pictures and stories, I don't care. I shoot a doe when I feel like it because there are some ladies in my church group that enjoy venison and will use it. It helps my contest team too. I don't sit in my tree and think about DSM numbers. I don't worry if the guy on the land next to me is going to shoot a sparky. I enjoy hunting and try to shoot the biggest buck I can each year. Last year it was a 2 1/2 year old 8 point. I slept fine. The division between qdm and average joe hunters is a very dangerous thing going forward because it opens the door for the antis to gain a bigger foothold. Unification among all hunters is the most important thing. Just let the guy be excited about his new property and what might be living on it. Livingston County is a good place to hunt and there are plenty of mature bucks walking around in it.

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Somewhere in the great beyond, Hamilton Berger is smiling.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
Somewhere in the great beyond, Hamilton Berger is smiling.
Wasn't Perry Mason a mastermind also? I can't remember if he was inscrutable or not.

Just let the guy be excited about his new property and what might be living on it.
Sounds legit to me. I'll let you feel good OP.

Any time you want an honest answer, let me know. Nothing of what I said is disproved by Mulligan and he's entitled to give you an ego-invested answer like he did. Last time I checked that's why they call this a forum.

And I never said Livingston County is not a fantastic place to hunt. It is fantastic.

And for the record I'm not a skilled deer hunter. I'm a Joe Average hunter. I have never harvested an antlered deer, although I did pass on a chip shot at a 2 1/2 year old eight point with a firearm once.

What might be living on your property is a **** load of antler-less deer. And the majority of your neighbors (including Mulligan) do not harvest near enough antler-less deer for you to have an even better hunting experience than you will have in the future (starting in two weeks). Unless of course they feel like it. In my opinion they should do it whether they feel like it or not.

I don't worry if the guy on the land next to me is going to shoot a sparky.
I don't worry about it at all either. It is pretty much a given that the neighbor is going to shoot a 2 1/2 year old eight point or younger. Thanks for proving my point.

·
Registered
230 Posts
He asked about nearby. I think 11.5 miles away qualifies. Glad there are selective hunters there. Is their deer harvest over 60% comprised of antlerless deer?

I would love to hear the OP post the fact that he sees tons of 3 1/2 year old bucks and there is a balanced herd without too many antlerless deer three years down the road. That would be great.

A lot can change in 11.5 miles just go east that far what you got? A ton of people is what you will find.

Do you run trail cams? Buddy's that live in Marion township do and always have pics of mature deer. You ever been to the Marion twp buck pole? In '13 (i was out of state last year) the biggest buck there 150"+ 9 pt. was shot out by you and was running stateland with a 145" 10 pt. I have trail cam pics of both. Saw both in daylight hours on stateland while bowhunting. 10pt. Got shot last year by a bowhunter.
Yes all of us selective hunters shoot does to fill the freezer the kids don't even mind shooting a baldy.

Maybe you just aren't cut out for hunting mature deer, or getting along with your neighbors. Go fishing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like I may need to spend a little bit of time on some state land this year! What state land was this at? I've hunted the Brighton State Game area, and Pinckney Game area. I was able to quite a few trail cam pics of nice deer but never harvested any.

A lot can change in 11.5 miles just go east that far what you got? A ton of people is what you will find.

Do you run trail cams? Buddy's that live in Marion township do and always have pics of mature deer. You ever been to the Marion twp buck pole? In '13 (i was out of state last year) the biggest buck there 150"+ 9 pt. was shot out by you and was running stateland with a 145" 10 pt. I have trail cam pics of both. Saw both in daylight hours on stateland while bowhunting. 10pt. Got shot last year by a bowhunter.
Yes all of us selective hunters shoot does to fill the freezer the kids don't even mind shooting a baldy.

Maybe you just aren't cut out for hunting mature deer, or getting along with your neighbors. Go fishing.

·
Banned
84 Posts
Congrats on the new property!! Im excited for you. Dont listen to all the negative puke from stevens mouth.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
Cabbie, once again I never said that mature bucks aren't harvested in the area. Your statement that some mature bucks are harvested as evidenced by those in the buck pole is merely an apex fallacy. An apex fallacy occurs when a group's performance is evaluated using the performance of the example(s) doing best, not a typical or representative example.

And I didn't say that selective hunters don't shoot does. I asked if over 60% of the harvest is antler-less deer. I also said that the population--and ratio--of antlerless deer is too high. Surely you are not contending that all deer hunters are "selective". Selective implies letting young bucks pass. In my opinion it says nothing of the antler-less harvest. Non-selective hunters should harvest more antler-less deer. YGSM if you don't think there are too many antler-less deer in the area.

And I certainly am not disappointed by my hunting experiences or the fact that I haven't harvested a mature buck. I never claimed I was a good deer hunter. And I have only hunted two times in each of the last two years.

Last time I hunted the EAS the first 24 deer that passed my blind were antler-less. The first time I hunted the EAS I harvested three non fawn does within 15 minutes. Three years ago on opening day firearms I had 40 deer pass in front of my stand (in one morning) including a decent number of bucks (none over 2 1/2 years old. And I have seen caught fleeting glimpses of giants on my property and have reports of them entering my property all the time. And yes I have had mature bucks on trail cams. It is still an apex fallacy argument on your part.

I repeat: I did not say there weren't mature bucks in Marion Twp. Nor did I say they don't get harvested in Marion Twp.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Cabbie, once again I never said that mature bucks aren't harvested in the area. Your statement that some mature bucks are harvested as evidenced by those in the buck pole is merely an apex fallacy. An apex fallacy occurs when a group's performance is evaluated using the performance of the example(s) doing best, not a typical or representative example.

And I didn't say that selective hunters don't shoot does. I asked if over 60% of the harvest is antler-less deer. I also said that the population--and ratio--of antlerless deer is too high. Surely you are not contending that all deer hunters are "selective". Selective implies letting young bucks pass. In my opinion it says nothing of the antler-less harvest. Non-selective hunters should harvest more antler-less deer. YGSM if you don't think there are too many antler-less deer in the area.

And I certainly am not disappointed by my hunting experiences or the fact that I haven't harvested a mature buck. I never claimed I was a good deer hunter. And I have only hunted two times in each of the last two years.

Last time I hunted the EAS the first 24 deer that passed my blind were antler-less. The first time I hunted the EAS I harvested three non fawn does within 15 minutes. Three years ago on opening day firearms I had 40 deer pass in front of my stand (in one morning) including a decent number of bucks (none over 2 1/2 years old. And I have seen caught fleeting glimpses of giants on my property and have reports of them entering my property all the time. And yes I have had mature bucks on trail cams. It is still an apex fallacy argument on your part.

I repeat: I did not say there weren't mature bucks in Marion Twp. Nor did I say they don't get harvested in Marion Twp.

Don't really care about your fallacy, just used it as an example because I knew the biggest deer there was running stateland just down the road from you. There was plenty of small bucks I wouldn't shoot at the buckpole also. I'm well aware of the deer population in your area. Most people would love to have your problem.

·
Inscrutable Mastermind
5,415 Posts
Don't really care about your fallacy, just used it as an example because I knew the biggest deer there was running stateland just down the road from you. There was plenty of small bucks I wouldn't shoot at the buckpole also. I'm well aware of the deer population in your area. Most people would love to have your problem.
I rest my case.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts