Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the word on this fish Finder good or bad any info would be helpful! Decent for the price ?

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got one. New to it and it seems to work fine. Sometimes the lake bottoms make a big difference and it's hard to see my lure/jig. Or maybe it's the current. I dunno. At times it really works good. At the very least I can tell where bottom is and mostly see my lure on bottom and see the fish come up. It basically does everything the more $$ do. It does zoom the last 5ft but not any other area of water column which I doubt guys with the ones that do even do that often around michigan. Maybe I dunno. Hope that helps. I really like mine so far

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
547 Posts
Oh also today I must have had a huge pike looking at my little jig or maybe it was the Loch Ness monster because something huge started going after it then went away. Lol

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
I've got one.. Probably going to sell it soon as I upgraded to a GPS/sonar combo. Its a good unit, never let me down. Id suggest it to anyone. Quality and power is up there with vex and was less than vex fl8 but has more peak to peak and bottom zoom. Its a good unit!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Buddy has a VX-1 and really likes it, a good solid unit. Does everything you need to catch fish, just don't have some of the bells and whistles the higher price units have.

I'm on my 4th season with an LX-5, Marcum products are quality made in my book have heard their customer service is good so far I've had no need to find out.

I had a Vex FL-8 for near 20 years before that and my son is still using it, ya can't go wrong that way either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've got one. New to it and it seems to work fine. Sometimes the lake bottoms make a big difference and it's hard to see my lure/jig. Or maybe it's the current. I dunno. At times it really works good. At the very least I can tell where bottom is and mostly see my lure on bottom and see the fish come up. It basically does everything the more $$ do. It does zoom the last 5ft but not any other area of water column which I doubt guys with the ones that do even do that often around michigan. Maybe I dunno. Hope that helps. I really like mine so far

I fished hard water for over 30 years "Old School", drop a jig in the hole with a weight attached. Find the bottom, move up a foot or two and mark it with a little red bobber and sit and hope that something would tug on your line...Caught a lot of fish that way, but with the advances in electronics these days, if you are going to ice fish seriously, a good flasher is the way to go. Marcum is a good choice. I bought a vex fl8 about 15 years ago and it really improved the way that I fished. This year I traded up for a vex flx-28 (which is the top of the vex food chain). It has the auto zoom function that allows me to view the whole water column as well as the bottom 6 feet which in my opinion may prove to be a great tool for picking up suspended crappie that can be anywhere in the water column. It's a matter of personal preference which make or model you choose (they are all good ) even Hummingbirds:lol:

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I've had one for several years and I'm quite happy with it. I use the bottom zoom a lot. It seems to run forever on a battery charge.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for info guys this is why this why this web sight is great the info is priceless.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Registered
14 Posts
You get what you pay for .I will always go Vex,.Better ducers,better crystals in them. Marcum claims to have more power.the problem with more power is the faster your battery goes,

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
You get what you pay for .I will always go Vex,.Better ducers,better crystals in them. Marcum claims to have more power.the problem with more power is the faster your battery goes,
Power - Battery?
Always thought that depended more on where ya had your gain set, how cold it is out and other external variables. Only thing more power would give ya is the ability to probe deeper if ya choose to.
Charge my battery after each use and have never run outta juice unless I had a battery going bad.

First I've heard of better transducers on a Vex?

Liked my Vex when I had it and like my Marcum now, both units did all they said they'll do. No problems with either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have one and it works great. I have not had issues with interference from other units as stated earlier. Fished in a two man shanty with a guy using a Vexilar and we were able to tune each other out no problem.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
My buddy had one. Worked as should. Doesn't play nice with other units at all.
Have 2 buddies with X67's I can usually take care of the issue with a few strokes on the IR button, but if they get smart with me I can poke it a few more times and watch 'em start messing with their machines. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
First flasher, learning to use, very pleased with the results, had a blast catching crappie the other day, had a minnow in one hole, using flasher and jigging a tungston jig with spike in a adjoining hole.
Caught my limit with the jig and the flasher, Zero hits on the minnow, ZERO.
loved being to able to see if I had fish below me or not, zoomed in on the bottom and fish were suspended from o to 4 feet,
Was able to target , lead the agressive fish off the bottom, some bite , some did not. Will not fish without it . Fun!
Use to be the guy with minnow and bobber at the bottom in one hole and a jig in another, and would search the water column, would catch some panfish here and there,, but with my flasher, ice fishing is fun again.
The price mark was right on, paid less than the Vex Fl-18 which I was set on buying, plus it came with its own soft case. Would highly recommend this unit.:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Any flasher is going to be better then no flasher, i use the humming bird ice 35 and i love it. Vex,marcum and humming birds are all good flashers and all help catch more fish.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just bought the lx3. Awesome unit. Crisp and bright. I went fishing two days straight this weekend and never ran out of battery

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have an lx3 and with a full charge I get 3 days of fishing out of it or better. Batteries are not to bad, so if battery usage is an issue buy a spare for $25 and your set. It would have to last a full day though I'm thinking.

Any flasher is better than none. I like simple.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts