Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
"MARCH MADDNESS IS HERE"
The last few years a bunch of have doing what we call "March Maddness" Fishing for smelt up on Higgins. This year we are going up the weekend of March 11-13, I was up last wk. end and picked up 370, Kenny was up Wed. and figures he got about 500, numbers only get better as the run goes on, (there is a 2 gallon limit now) We stay at the "Great Escapes" motel 800-361-8312 nothing fancy, bed, bath and T.V. what more could a fisherman ask for? If your interested drop me a line and I`ll get you more info. Here`s a few pictures from years past. Bottom picture is 750 smelt from 2 yrs. ago, my best fishing day ever.

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Holy moly!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was about to change my mind about going out for smelt this year but, after seeing those pics. I think I'll just have to give it a try :D. I keep telling myself that if I stick with it I'm bound to have a good day on the ice :lol:.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
YEEEEHHAAAW!!!:yikes: Keep em comin Michael! We're gonna bring the motorhome, and put up at Houghton Lake West campgrounds. How much ice?? I'm going to assume the quad is OK?(isn't that what guys say just before the put em down in 18FOW?) C YA soon. Capnhook

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Smelt are quickly becoming my favorite freshwater fish for deep frying. I can sit down and eat 25 or 30 no problem. If the ice is 15-20 inches thick out there right now, we might have the opportunity to be out there fishing for another 3 weeks. I recall fishing there March 20th on 15 inches of clear blue ice. It was wonderful except for augering the holes!!!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Anybody do anything today?? Thanks for the pic Mike. I still think that suit makes me look fat. Capnhook

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I'll be up there Thursday afternoon it looks like. If you guys are there going to be there around that time, hit me up with a PM incase I run into someone from this thread out there.

·
Registered
160 Posts
anyone know the number of hooks you are allowed to use when fishing smelt? My sibiki rig is loaded with hooks but I am not sure if it is legal. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
25,179 Posts
No limit, but for ease of use cut the sabiki in half and make two rigs. Get rid of the swivel and clip also.
I agree with that or you will have half of them bass turds hooked on everything. To many hooks for me. Like swamp says make 2 of them out of one.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong. To my understanding, if your using 1 line the # of hooks is unlimited. More than 1 line and the 2 hook rule applies.

Sent from my Droid

·
Registered
926 Posts
any news on the south end yet? (lincoln rd)

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Good luck to all of ya's!

I was out for lakers yesterday morning and was skunked. Marked some, even had some chase the jig. Then went to NSP last night and marked lots of smelt but couldn't get them to bite very well. I'll be out again next week. Thanks to all the guys who gave me tips yesterday! I may go from a poor smelter to a mediocre one soon:).

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
dodgerdav,
I'm certainly not an above average smelter, but can usually get 20-30 in about 2 hours if they are hitting much at all. Usually all I use is a small glow hali tipped with a waxworm. If I get adventurous sometimes I tie on a small teardrop about 6-8" above the hali. Usually when I do this though a huge mess is soon coming. Therefore I bring a spare pole. As for the pole use a very limber tipped pole or spring bobber.

After you getted hooked on smelting then look into sabiki's:lol:

Give it a try, it's a blast!

·
Registered
980 Posts
My buddy and I are heading up tomorrow. We wont be out until later tomorrow evening but wil lhit the ice bright an early on Saturday and Sunday. We will probably be heading out form the West launch in a Red Mule as long as the ice is still good. Give us a shout if you see us!

·
Registered
6,998 Posts
Ok, I too am new to the world of smelt. When people say they tie a teardrop above the Hali, do they mean directly on the main line, or off of a leader tied to the main line? :dizzy:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts