Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Green Rectangle Textile Feather Natural material
Been watching Fishing TV Shows with Seth Feider Bassmasters/FLW and infisherman and Linders Angling edge. Everyone is doing this throw back retro Marabou Feather Hair Jigs for SM Bass. I decided to combine my Steelhead fly tying with some 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads. I think these Goby, Crawfish, mayfly, and attractor patterns look pretty good. Anyone had any luck using Hair Jigs on LSC SM? I am thinking about tying up some 3/4 and 1oz Hair Jigs for SCR Walleyes, anyone had any luck using Hair Hair Hair Jigs for walleyes vertical jigging SCR and Detroit rivers. Let me know your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Have been thinking the same thing.... My dad swears by them for SM bass, as he caught a ton on those in the 80s. I am going to make a concerted effort to use them for both species next season

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a friend that uses them real early in the season for smallies, and has some success. I plan to try it this year for the first time, but I am kind of sold on throwing blade baits when the water is real cold.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Watching Seth Fieder Bass Pro he says he likes to use them post spawn when bugs are hatching. He casts out then almost trolls at .8mph with bow mount trolling motor at a steady pace over structure. The linders and in fisherman crew like to use more traditional cast and slow jig back to boat presentations.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I used one of these things at Metro in the boat basin a few years back and limited out on crappie with it. It was a pink head and white feathers. Did not even tip it with anything, just the jig itself under a bobber and about 3-1/2 feet deep. That was on Thanksgiving morning that year. It was probably 1/4 oz. in size.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
My brother has been using those Feider flies for smallies for a couple of years but not on LSC. He catches a ton of smallies on them but in all honesty, the creek we fish you could throw a hook on a beer tab and catch 100 in a day without even trying.

·
Registered
14,259 Posts
View attachment 620197 Been watching Fishing TV Shows with Seth Feider Bassmasters/FLW and infisherman and Linders Angling edge. Everyone is doing this throw back retro Marabou Feather Hair Jigs for SM Bass. I decided to combine my Steelhead fly tying with some 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads. I think these Goby, Crawfish, mayfly, and attractor patterns look pretty good. Anyone had any luck using Hair Jigs on LSC SM? I am thinking about tying up some 3/4 and 1oz Hair Jigs for SCR Walleyes, anyone had any luck using Hair Hair Hair Jigs for walleyes vertical jigging SCR and Detroit rivers. Let me know your thoughts?
We use the black and brown ones in the spring when everyone else is throwing blade baits up in shallower water on st clair. Some days they are incredible. Tough to throw in windy conditions. Use then on calm days. We use the black and brown feider flies. Have been looking for a cheaper alternative that has a beefy enough hook. Also feider flies are tough to find in stock at times. Only store i ever found that carried them was gander outdoors and they are now gone.

One thing that helps is to use a long ML spinning rod with light flourocarbon line. If you have trouble casting them I sometimes bite off the tail of a small plastic bait like a fluke or dropshot bait as a small trailer on the fly. It looks like a fly tail and adds a little weight for casting.

Your flies look great!

·
Registered
299 Posts
View attachment 620197 Been watching Fishing TV Shows with Seth Feider Bassmasters/FLW and infisherman and Linders Angling edge. Everyone is doing this throw back retro Marabou Feather Hair Jigs for SM Bass. I decided to combine my Steelhead fly tying with some 1/8 and 1/4 oz jig heads. I think these Goby, Crawfish, mayfly, and attractor patterns look pretty good. Anyone had any luck using Hair Jigs on LSC SM? I am thinking about tying up some 3/4 and 1oz Hair Jigs for SCR Walleyes, anyone had any luck using Hair Hair Hair Jigs for walleyes vertical jigging SCR and Detroit rivers. Let me know your thoughts?

Buck tail tied on a 3/4 oz. Jig is one of my most productive jigs in the boat. Have caught a lot of fish on the Detroit with that setup.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.