Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for lake maps or studies that show the weedbeds in lakes and hopefully label the type of weeds. Is anyone familiar with any resource for this type of information.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The lake maps available on the DNR website will give you some of that info. It will show areas by emergent or submerged weeds. The down side is some of the maps are 80 years old and things may have changed.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I am looking for lake maps or studies that show the weedbeds in lakes and hopefully label the type of weeds. Is anyone familiar with any resource for this type of information.
The best I can suggest is looking at good satellite maps. I used FISHIDY to locate weedbeds for ice fishing. It worked pretty good.

·
RETIRED
8,449 Posts
You may want to do a search on here for posts made by fellow member Mark Tonello who works for the DNR's fisheries division. He has posted up links to a number of lakes that have had recent surveys. You may also be able to find those reports by doing a search on the DNR's website. Not so much maps are included in these reports, but there is usually some text on what you can expect to find on these bodies of water.

From my experience, when I'm faced with fishing a new lake, I find that taking a nice boat ride gives me a chance to see what the lake has to offer as far as structure and cover which I can return to later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts