Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone knew if there are topographical maps showing lake bottoms available. I've seen books that show some of the larger more popular lakes, but what about some of the smaller, "Huck Finn" Lakes? I was thinking that maybe the DEQ, or possibly USGS may have something.

------------------------

Scott

·
Registered
142 Posts
I ordered some lake maps a long time ago from:

Michigan United Conservation Clubs
P.O. box 2235
Lansing, MI 48911

I ordered maps for some very small and obscure lakes in all different parts of the state. They had them! I was very surprised as some of these lakes (really more the size of ponds) don't even appear on the county maps. The maps were originally prepared for The Institute For Fisheries Research by the Civil Conservation Corps during the depression. On the maps it says they were reproduced by the MUCC from base maps made for the MDNR. I believe I ordered a master list of maps for each county I was interested in and then chose the maps I wanted from those lists. If I recall they were only a dollar or two per map (they are just xerox copies).

Sorry I don't have more details but it was a long time ago and I can only find one of the many maps that I originally had. The MUCC publishes Michigan Out Of Doors Magazine, available at most most news stands, you should be able to find a phone # for them in there or I'm sure they have have a web site. Hope this helps, good luck!

------------------
Rich M

·
Registered
348 Posts
I moved to Mich 6 months ago and wanted to get map info, etc for the state. Somebody refered me to MUCC. I have checked out their website many times since them www.mucc.org and their bookstore is always under construction. Knowing me, I would probably spend a fortune there if the site was open, but.... Does anyone know if it will ever open? Is there a competing site that offers maps and books, etc on line?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am some what familiar with the books that the MUCC offers for sale. I don't believe the lake maps would fall under that catagory as they are not offered in book form. Does the web site have contact info? I would try e-mailing them to find out how to get the maps.

------------------
Rich M

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have heard of people getting there maps from there local DNR office. I don't know if its exactly true or not, but its worth a try.

------------------
Time to get those reels back in the water, and catch some BIG fish!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.