Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering if i could get some advise on what you guys think the best manual hand riggers are, for the money and performance. thanks

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Proos hands down One complete turn is two feet, and the arms are adjustable.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I got a good price on a pair of Cannon Uni-Trol's last fall. I HOPE they are good.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I've fished downriggers for 30 years. Used home made to start with and since then Riverias, Cannon, Walker and for the last ten years Penn manuals. Penns are the best for me for ease of use and reliability. Great service department if ever needed.

Duane

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I have to agree with DKuiper,... I too have used quite a few different makes and the Penn Fathom-master's manual riggers are the easiest that I have come across to use.

One hand operation, release the clutch mechanism and control the cable spool with one hand as your dropping the weight. Once it's at the depth you want ,.. tighten the clutch dial and set your rod tension an drag,... your DONE!! :cool:

I own 4 of them and their GREAT ! :D

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Originally posted by Hunt4Ever
I got a good price on a pair of Cannon Uni-Trol's last fall. I HOPE they are good.
I have those also, but I got mine free. So far, I haven't had a problem with them yet.

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Two general thoughts:

1) Everyone will pretty much tell you theirs are the best. Generally, if you're buying new you get what you pay for. You can easily spend $300+ per rigger on a good long-boom manual with a swivel base. You can also spend $150 a pop.

2) Check out used electrics on Ebay. I'd personally buy electrics if you have the choice. It's really nice to just hit the switch. If you're obsessive about changing lures like I am you'll be suprised how tired your right arm will be after cranking riggers and fish all day.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought the Canon Uni-trolls. They come with a swivel base for a pretty good price. Clutch system seems to work well. I used them for the first time last weekend, I liked them. If I was more than an occasional weekend warrrior I would probably bought electrics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm sure all of the popular brands are of good quality or else they couln't have remained in business as long as the have. My only experience is with the uni-troll, which I've had for the last 21 years, and it still works quite well. Thus far, no problems with it at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts