Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a few days down in Manistique(North tip of Lake Michigan) and I just cant belive the fishin down there already! I am actually wore out after only 6 trips out, though the mostly nasty, wet, and rough weather didnt help either. Thursday night was the best weather all weekend, and there were only 2 of us on board(could have used 2 more!) Friday morning was probably the best action of the weekend, with 17 Kings in the boat by 8:30a.m., and only a few under 10lbs. 3 triples(all made it into the box), and multiple doubles kept us pretty busy! Friday night was pretty good action, but thats when the weather started to turn for the worse. Saturday was snotty forsure....but action was still pretty good. We ran out in 3 footers, fished in 4 footers, and ran back into 5 footers, all topped off with a 20+mph North wind and downpours. And as was the case for most, Sunday really slowed down for us with our smallest catch of the weekend having only 5 Kings and 2 Steelies.

All weekend, our best depths were 90-110', and we stayed mostly ENE of Wiggins can all weekend. We fished shallower(45-75') and found nothing except smaller fish and colder water, and deeper(out to 170') we found nothing at all. With the exception of Sunday, water temps were great! 52-54 on the surface and 49-52 at the ball(usually 30-60 down). 90% of our fish, and almost all the bigger ones, came below the 40' mark. Leadcore was pretty dead, especially in the evenings. Riggers and Divers(Wire and Slide) were the best rods. SWR run about 10-15 feet off the bottom was the biggest stud for the weekend, with either a Mag Silver Streak Superman or a Moonshine RV Flounder. A close second was the Meat on Wire. White/Blue rigs behind Blue Falshers were the best behind Magnum Dipsys, usually run about 150'+ out. Riggers with Spin Doctors and Mikes Eye Flys took a ton of hits as well, along with 2 of our biggest fish. White/Blue Spinnie with the "Oil Slick" Eye Fly was HOT...until a King took it away from me! Slide Divers with the MS Agent Orange also held their own, usually strecthed 80'+ behind the diver. Speed wise...they liked it fast all weekend. GPS speeds of 2.8-3.2 were the best, and even up to 3.5mph, even with the meat rigs in the water.

Sunday.....BIG CHANGES! Same spot as Saturday, and the ball temps at 35' down went from 50.5 to 43 degrees! The whole area near the can in less than 85' of water turned over and got COLD! The relentless North winds had finally taken their toll. We marked very little fish, and caught only 7 yesterday morning. Ran back into the forcasted 1 footers...except they were now 4 footers :mad:
Overall it was one hell of a good time, and we all had to pinch ourselves a few times to belive this was the end of May/early June and we were catching limits of Kings. We also took about 5 hours worth of Video, with some good screaming drag and diver shots, as well as some shots of the waves coming over the hardtop on Saturday eve.!! It'll take me a while to go through all that though! The average size of the fish was unreal as well. Kinda crazy to think what those fish will look like in August!!

I hope that helps anyone out who may head down that way soon!

A few pics of my everchanging weekend crew of kick-a** fisherman and great friends, and the carnage they caused! Thanks guys!! I'll never forget it!

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Very nice! One of the guys I used to work with bought the north shores motel up there. We went up in January to do some snowmobiling. There was a handfull of people steelheading the river, so I was curious how the fishing was

1 - 2 of 2 Posts