Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished the big river the other day hooked 4 landed 1, of course the one was 13.5#, man do these fish jump. Why is the Manistee river flow so low today, anyone have any quesses? It was about 1600 cubic feet/second yesterday and today its presently at about 800 or so. I'll be fishing near Tippy most of next week if anyone cares to join up, which reminds me PRIMO where are ya?????

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
toto
what do you use, flies, spawn?
I was on East Bay the other day in the boat. I would like to get into some skamanias. I fish the big M. during the spring quite a bit. The crowd is terrible. Whats the crowd like?

KF

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Bill, Scams are cool huh? 13.5 that's a nice fish! I'm going to be at Tippy on Tuesday!!!! Maybe I'll see you there.(I'll be on the wellston side below the culpher)
~Rick
Oh yeah what have you heard about the Kings;-)

·
Registered
66 Posts
toto,been busy at work.all the summer homes are opening up and everyone wants another phone line.plus work for the cherry festival is keeping us hopping.i also have company staying for the festival.I,m hoping to fish mill pond this week for some huge lake brookies i've been seeing.if you fish locally this week after work give me a shout.i'm in the book,bartlett rd in acme.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
Primo, that cherry festival seems to be a happening thing. Was lucky enough to see a preview of the air show including the blue angels on Friday afternoon. Got the whole show without the crowd.

·
Registered
11,669 Posts
I was on East Bay trolling and got to watch the blue angels Friday and then we went to Saturdays show. They are very impressive.
We actually caught more whitefish than lakers on cowbells and peanuts. Surface water temp is around 61 degrees. Water level seems to be coming up a little bit.

KF

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys for being so long at reposting, but had a week of vacation to do. The skamanias are in the Manistee, and my wife hooked her very first one ever, man what a way to start her out.

Anyways we drove to the little manistee weir and saw with my own eyes several Salmon swimming below the weir. I would think there are some in the big river also. Hooked several in the Big Manistee (scams) but never landed even one, my wife lost hers too. But still a good start for her. It certainly won't be long before the kings get in there in fishable numbers. Hope this charges you up a bit.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Wow! You're giving me a case of fishin fever! Wonder if they'd miss me at work tommorow? Hah!
Hey save a few for me!

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For you Phish I will, went yesterday fishedd the big man and also the Frankfort harbor. I only have a 14' boat so I need to be somewhat careful, but I did manage one steelie about 10#, which isn't a big deal, but what really got me was I counted 23 small alewives in its stomach when I cleaned. BTW I had no choice but to keep it as it was bleeding so bad.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
When you fish the harbor like that what method do you use? If you dont mind me asking. I've always wanted to try and get in on some of the action there when the salmon are staging but I wouldn't know what to do. I guess I would just troll some spoons or something, does that work?
Oh and thanks for saving a few for me. Trying to talk the kids into comming up next weekend, but my daughter wants to go to cedar point. I promised I'd take them once this summer. Oh well, I geuss we'll see.

Fish long and prosper

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use downriggers with spoons, although I suppose J-Plugs would work also. I usually set my riggers down about 23 feet and look for clouds of alewives on my screen. I usually try to fish underneath the alewives.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Well I guess that leaves me out, dont have any down riggers. When you say harbor, do you mean outside the break walls or in manistee lake or the channel. Do you think dipsies would work? My dad just gave me like the mother load of salmon spoons and plugs. I guess his good friend who use to run a charter out of thunder bay retired all of his equipment, and gave my dad a whole slew of lures. Theres some dipsies in there but I've never used stuff like that. I'd probably need some heavier rods too, and I'm running low on funds. Oh well some day I'll have all the stuff I need, and all I'll do is fish everyday. Remember when you stop dreaming you start to grow old!

------------------
Phish

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dipsies would work great, especially since you don't have to go very deep. The only problem is you sometimes have very tight quarters to work in with all the other boats, and you need to let out a little more line with a dipsy so be cognizant of that. When I refer to fishing the harbors, I mean actually inside the pier heads, or perhaps around them on the outside. Either as the rest of the year wears on the better it will get, until everything is done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts