Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was in Manistee for a weeks vacation and to fish the Salmon Splash Tournament. Only could pre-fish one day and bombed. Took 25 fish weekend before and confidence was good but made bad decisions, o well. Most boats that have been fishing salmon all summer and that shared info did good in the tournament. It is still always fun.
Of course killed them the rest of the week when i got out. Fishing in and around the nets was very good. It really paid to mark them on the GPS MAP doing a close drive buy of the flags and buoys. I had good luck early in the week on Moonshines early and late each day (Happy Meal, Carbon 14, and Blue Flounder pounder.) Also took lots of fish on the Mag Silverstreak Hot lobster on riggers and cores. Later in the week and last weekend the flies and plugs took over. Big white hooch and glow MSU fly down on center rigger, Green with glow slick hooch or spinny with Aqua gold fly on high divers and white slick glow hooch or spinny with MSU fly on low divers. Aces High plugs on corner riggers and cores in BLue spatterback and green Black ladder, yellow glow/green spatter and white double glow black ladder. Blue glow jays and the Grely ghost also worked great early. Watermellon jay when sun was high on riggers and cores. Purl/white jay on coppers were good also. There are some nice fish showing up, and we took two right at 22lbs(would have been nice in the tournament)and several around 19-20lbs. That is better than last year and there should be bigger in August. My boat the Hat Trick II -26 PRO-LINE is at the city Marina right behind the resteraunt deck and i will be there most weekends and the last 10 days in August.:evil:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Nice report Van. I think this might be the first year I don't make it up to Manistee in 7 years or so. I may try and come up for a day trip. Jimmy is moving back and will be up there. I hope all is well with you and Tim.

Rick

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Van, Leaving in the am for Manistee. We also have a slip in the city marina. We'll be in a 23' Wellcraft w/a. Hope to see you. We'll be there until Sunday.
Jerry Hinton

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be there friday night through Sunday Jerry. Look forward to seeing you up there. Maybe we can campare notes on the fishing and have a beer:evil:. Its to bad you cant make it up Rick. I talked to Dave and heard Jimmy is coming back to town and will be up the last 10 days. The size of the kings seems to be better than last year and we had some savage attacks by big kings on the dipsys. Its nice to see a grown man not be able to get the rod out of the holder, at least some of the panzies that fished with me:lol::lol:.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I may still try to slide up there for a day fish, but may end up sitting on the beach, if the winds don't cooperate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts