Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A slight change in plans:
Weigh-in: Insta-Launch Campground at 2PM rather than 3PM.

Food Sign-up:

Please enter a post about what you're going to bring to the Manistee Labor Day Trout/Salmon Fun Tournament Post Weigh-in Feast (long title ain't it?)

Whit: Chicken Wings.....Jalapeno pepper will be an ingredient in the sauce

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
I will have the wife make up a big bowl of tater salad and another of maccaroni salad. And if I am nice to her maybe she will make some kind of desert too.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Elk Steaks:D
Send me a PM if you want me to bring any extra steaks or burger to take home. Need to clear out the freezer before the second week in Oct.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Hey Whit...

We gonna do the fish boil too Saturday afternoon/evening? If so... we will need a couple of gas cookers and big pots (Stein... I know you said you have one). I myself can buy a couple bags of redskin potatoes and a couple bags of onions.

With a little luck... we should have enough fish to cook! :D

Fish Boil Recipe

10 chunks or steaked pieces Lake Michigan Salmon/Trout (10 to 12 ounces each)
2 pounds salt
20 new redskin potatoes
30 small onions (approximately 1 1/2-inch diameter)
1/2 pound butter, melted
10 lemon wedges

Fill a 24 quart kettle 3/4 full of water. Place over open fire or on stove and bring to boil. Add potatoes and 1 pound of salt. When boil resumes, time for 8 minutes. Then add onions wait until boil resumes then time for 2 minutes. Add salmon/trout and remaining salt. After 14 additional minutes of boiling dinner is ready. Broth may be ladled off prior to serving. Or use a slotted spoon to retrieve food from kettle.

Fish is placed on plate along with 2 potatoes and 3 onions, melted butter is then ladled over and garnished with lemon wedge.

For those of you that have never partaken in a Fish boil... you do not know what you are missing!! YUM YUM

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
I'll bring the turkey fryer for the fish boil and a propane tank.

and:

salt
lemon
butter and pot to melt it in
chips
salsa (with jalapeno peppers)

I'll also have a mini propane grill on hand for others to use as well. Team Trout Tracker will donate half it's catch toward the fish boil. The rest we save for Larry's salmon dip!

Toga party to immediatly follow. (for those not already wearing them):D :D :D

caz, you still rolling in the half barrel? I'll be glad to pitch in, grab ice, or pass the hat if need be.:cool:

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let's do the fish boil on Saturday afternoon/evening after the weigh in. That way everyone will be there for sure.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have a turkey fryer if we need 2? Let me know if you think we need it.

I'll bring a few duck brats, buns and mustard, and some plates and utensils.

Butch

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
I'll make sure we have some soft drinks available.

Anybody and everybody that is going to be ther PM me with what kind of softdrink you/your family would enjoy and I'll try to get some of each or a ton of a couple if there is consensus.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I need to know who is definately camping at Insta-Launch campground and how many in your group. PDQ

There is going to be a problem with vehicle/boat trailer parking for those who are not camping. They need to know how many people will be in our group. I am going to reserve the "community center".....we have to clean it up after we're finished with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Team Trout Tracker will be camping at the insta launch. (2 in our group)

Matt, bring the fryer. We'll use one to boil the potatos and one for the fish.

sixshooter , regular, diet, root beer, and sprite should do the trick.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Whit-

What sort of parking problem for boats/trailers if not staying in the campground? Do you mean there is no parking in the campground during the afternoon/evening? By city rule? Lack of space? Is the 'community center' near the main parking lot?

Thanks

Butch

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because of it being Labor Day weekend Insta-Launch does not have a lot of room for the parking of "extra" vehicles/boats. I'm going to have to figure out where we can park in safety for boats and equipment. That could be a problem.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Tin Can
2 people staying at instalaunch. I also reserved a well just in case. I heard it's quite a run but I figured I might try keeping the boat wet. How long do you figure it would take from insta-launch to the pierheads Whit?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Whit...

The girlfriend and I will be arriving at the Insta-Launch about 12-2pm on Thursday early afternoon. Might be earlier... might be later... will be one of those non-rushed type drives coming in from the Lansing area. Will probably stop by Jay's on the way up. We have reservations for Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights. I believe we are in site #13!

Both Art (Steely-Head) and Dan (Spanky... Capt. Squeezie.. or whatever you want to call him :D) will be getting in Thursday later on in the day. They will be bunking with us in my girlfriend's 24' camper trailer. I know Spanky will be leaving early Sunday morning ... not sure about Art.

Oh... by the way... you guys get to see our "horse" too. He just happens to double as a 19 month old yellow Lab (see avatar). :D The last time the Vet weighed him... 127 lbs. :eek: (Now you know why I call him a horse!) I am sure where you see PJ... Lexi will not be far behind either!! (Our 4 month old black female Lab)

So... if you count the 4 legged occupants of our site... 6. (4 of the two legged ones :D )

By the way... will throw this up for those of you that need directions to the Insta-Launch. Most know where it is... but just in case... here is their website:

Insta-Launch Campground

See everyone up there!

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Originally posted by tgafish
Tin Can
2 people staying at instalaunch. I also reserved a well just in case. I heard it's quite a run but I figured I might try keeping the boat wet. How long do you figure it would take from insta-launch to the pierheads Whit?
Even though I realize I'm not Whit1...I'll give you a little heads up anywho...

It is about a 15 minute boat ride...From instalaunch to the start of the no wake is about a two second ride when throughing the boat in high gear. But the channel out to the big lake is a pretty long and windy treck similar to Grand Haven.

But it isn't THAT bad...

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Team Catfish will be at instalaunch friday evening untill monday.
Two people, one truck, one trailer, one boat in a well, one tent, many many fish and all the money!

See you then!
Rick

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
all right guys, your money is safe for THIS YEAR!!! Next year, I'll be making this outing AND the tournament...already got it on the calendar...IN PEN!!!

What is going on that Sunday? Who is gonna be left up there? I am thinking of making the drive saturday night (doubtful after a wedding - lol) or sunday morning and staying till MOnday sometime.

Whit (or anyone else)- if I throw up a tent sunday night, can I put it on someone else's site or do I need to reserve a site from Insta-Launch? I know some campgrounds do not allow more than 1 tent/camper per site.

Ben

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ben,
You'll have to contact Insta-Launch about that. Do a web search for their site.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I'm not sure what food to bring, so count us in for 3 or 4 bags of potato chips, at least. I'll see what the wife can come up with as well.

We're going to slip our boat at Insta-Launch, but we're staying in a motel on Fri and Sat nights. Team Severus is looking forward to some serious fish-whupping in a little over a week!

Ken

1 - 20 of 44 Posts