Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Manistee 2008 The Fun Tournament

3K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Tad Pole 
#1 ·
Well, another year has passed us by….

There has been many that has asked us about Manistee. With all these gas prices and the cost of traveling, it has been tough on the weekend warrior.

But Manistee is stiil on with a few modifications.

After many discussions and understanding the economny, we decided to continue the Manistee Fun Torunament but with a few different twists.

We will be in Manistee over Labor Day Weekend but there will not be any formal tornament. We will do a Best of the Best each day, Weigh in your best fish at our camp site between 3pm and 5 pm each day and we will pay out 3 places each day Frday thru Monday. No sign up needed, fish any port from Frankfort to Ludington. We are located at Insta Launch and we have all the sites from the train bridge down to site 122. Weigh in is at the river at sites 127 and 128. We will give out 3 places each day.

Fishdog Company is donating all the prizes for the 4 days and there is no entry, no sign up. Just show up with your big fish of the day. No rod limit, no rules other then the DNR rules on your boat. This is a fun weekend……Yes there may be a few side bets, crews may get changed up and the girls will be on the water again……. They will be weighing every day. I may come up with a side bet on that one……Just to let you know, I may have stacked the deck this year.

Comments?

Mark, Steve, Wayne…

The Fishdog Company

See less See more
#2 ·
It does sound like a good time the Tad Pole will be there,but I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not?we will be arriving in manistee early Thur. afternoon we have reserved a slip at the city marina threw Sunday morning.was the decision to change it to a non tournament weekend based on the possibility of a low turn out?I hope not this will be our third trip up and have come to look forward to this event every year,but regardless we will be there.

#3 ·
It does sound like a good time the Tad Pole will be there,but I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or not?we will be arriving in manistee early Thur. afternoon we have reserved a slip at the city marina threw Sunday morning.was the decision to change it to a non tournament weekend based on the possibility of a low turn out?I hope not this will be our third trip up and have come to look forward to this event every year,but regardless we will be there.
Seems like the only constant is change;) Sounds like it should work out just fine.
I have fond memories of the first time Caznik and trouttracker invited people to come up and join them on their annual Manistee weekend. I met many good friends at that outting and those friendships continue to this day. Most if us stayed in the parking lot that year and most had never met. It was a great beginning to a tradition. The old bathroom scale and clothes basket along with Larry adding points furiously on a sheet of paper. Whit and the muffin stories, Don P the serious competitor, The first Caz attack, Stein's constant laughing, Arts big smile with the big fish, Butch's never ending pronouncements about maize and blue glory, toto breaking rods on 3lb fish, Spanky's jokes...the stories were endless and always wrapped up well by Whit's yearly report post. I think the success of the league which was born out of manistee and events like the brown blast and dreamweaver tourney have taken a toll on Manistee not to mention the nets.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to attend for a while now. I hope the tradition keeps going in whatever form it happens to hold because I hope to make it back someday.
Good luck to all that attend this year and make sure to take pics!:)

#4 ·
Rick,

It was not based on a low turn out. what it was based on is that this is a fun weekend. We still are within our budget, will will give out over $750.00 in prizes. We looked at this and decided that the fun needs to be instilled in this event. I think we can do this. Call any one of us and say "got a $10 dollar bill that I catch a bigger fish then you today...We may take that.....and offer that to the girls and i GET 2-1 ODDS.

In the end, we still have fun......

The sad apart about this is that the girls are going to beat you so bad that you are going hide and pretend that you were never up there..

Mark

#7 ·
Mark, please don't misunderstand me i wasn't complaining in anyway.Your idea for keeping this a fun event sounds like a good one it was just that you guys have done such a good job in the past and we have always had so much fun i wasn't sure if it was the beginning of the end and i suppose i was a little concerned.
We would probably come up for the weekend regardless but the friendly competition just adds a little to the experience.
I do have one question though we usually fish morning and evening bites for at least Friday and Saturday,does the days catch only count for the mornings only or is it for a 24 hr. period?
either way we will look forward to seeing you and all the other guys there labor day weekend.

Randy

#16 ·
There is no sign up needed.....anyone can be in this, you do not have to be a member of this board. But, you have to catch the fish that day, weight it between 3 and 5 the same day at our campsite.

Thousandcasts, I signed up for those sites Jan 1st 2007 at 9am and paid for them. I was told that some one else called at 10 that same day and i had already took them..........Just an FYI, I did not do that for next year.

Mark

#22 ·
We also have (1) site available if someone needs one. This is site #124 with a dock right at the site. If you would like this site please let me know. Either PM me or call me after 5:30pm (If you call before 5:30pm please leave a message and I’ll get back to you. 269-876-8634
For everyone else, we have the (2) sites right on the river next to the train bridge #126 & #127, along with sites #123 thru #125. We will have it set up so that the sites on the river next to the bridge will be our lounging area and meeting area so the people in sites #122 thru 125 have a place to sit by the fire and relax.

Thanks

Steve

#23 ·
Hey Mark,do ya have any results or pictures to share after the week of fishing up there?I know we had a blast i was just wondering how everyone else did?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.