Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:lol:

Well, this is a picture of a button buck copulating with a doe fawn last night. They spent about an hour in and around the brassica patch. At one point, he came up to her and mounted her. She was very receptive and he appeared to achieve penetration. It lasted about 10 seconds or more while I fumbled for my camera which was behind me on my ladder stand. By the time I found the camera, he had dropped and they turned and he remounted, so I did not get a good broadside shot. Again, she was quite receptive. The second photo is a closeup, which it turns out was a bad idea because it came out so much darker. She was panting with her mouth open. I actually wondered if she was going to pull out a cigarette. He, like most guys, just nonchalantly wandered off and started browsing.

Each of these deer is pushing 100 pounds. I have no doubt that they are both capable of successfully procreating. I think the fawns are larger this year than most because there is so much standing corn available to still. In environments where deer can grow to this size, and I am sure I have not seen a single fawn since the beginning of November that was less than about 70 lbs., they are very much a part of the breeding group in this area, and highlight how incredibly important it is to keep at population control. I thought about shooting her but prefer to wait for a heavier one. Plus I did not want to disturb the location where I saw 4 bucks in and around the same food plot a few days ago.

Interesting behavioral note. When these two first came into the food plot, he spent about a minimum of 5 minutes aggressively chewing on a survey flag for a pond site that was about 18 inches off the ground. I mean, I thought he was going to eat the wire. About 20 minutes later, with him and the doe fawn in the food plot area, another button came down from the woods. He appeared to be larger than the first. When he got about 10 yards from that flag he went stiff legged. Clearly spooked and remained spooky for the next 15 minutes or so. He wanted nothing to do with that other button buck. This was in a spot about 100 yards from a location where I saw two button bucks sparring about a month ago or more. The first one was with a doe fawn, when the second one came up, he went up on his hind legs, and they both ended up thrashing at each other with their forelegs. The one with the doe fawn drove the other one away. He followed them from a distance back into the woods, where the more dominant button got his comeuppance from a 1.5 year old 6 or 8 point.

These fawns are already developed enough in this food rich area to create a breeding hierarchy, and to successfully breed. By the way, if he is not capable, there are certainly plenty of older guys in the neighborhood who can do the job, and probably have already added their 2 cents worth to her uterus.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
:lol: I love that second picture of you and the miss.

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Interesting behavioral note. When these two first came into the food plot, he spent about a minimum of 5 minutes aggressively chewing on a survey flag for a pond site that was about 18 inches off the ground. I mean, I thought he was going to eat the wire. About 20 minutes later, with him and the doe fawn in the food plot area, another button came down from the woods. He appeared to be larger than the first. When he got about 10 yards from that flag he went stiff legged. Clearly spooked and remained spooky for the next 15 minutes or so. He wanted nothing to do with that other button buck. This was in a spot about 100 yards from a location where I saw two button bucks sparring about a month ago or more. The first one was with a doe fawn, when the second one came up, he went up on his hind legs, and they both ended up thrashing at each other with their forelegs. The one with the doe fawn drove the other one away. He followed them from a distance back into the woods, where the more dominant button got his comeuppance from a 1.5 year old 6 or 8 point.
Management headache? Sounds like the dominant button is doing the breeding. What's the problem?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Hi, My name is Scott Hansen and I am from NBC, we are doing a show called "To Catch A Predator"....

·
Tornado Jim
19,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, My name is Scott Hansen and I am from NBC, we are doing a show called "To Catch A Predator"....
:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I am a predator for sure, wouldn't be surprised if I orphaned those fawns. Gues mom won't be dispersing those little guys next spring. :evil:

·
Registered
14,720 Posts
Best I could do under the circumstances;).
You oughta see some of my pics... oftentimes I can't even get the hunter posing next to the dead deer photos to look good :lol:.

By the way, more I think about this, the more I have to say that I'm kind of excited for the young fella. Gotta be a certain level of satisfaction I suspect in being the dominant button and siring offspring months before sprouting one's first antlers.

·
Premium Member
21,607 Posts
I bet his daddy would be proud. "That's my son!!!"

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Each of these deer is pushing 100 pounds. I have no doubt that they are both capable of successfully procreating. I think the fawns are larger this year than most because there is so much standing corn available to still.
I think this is likely. I've seen some astonishingly large button bucks in recent days.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
What many people don't realize is that whitetails are not like Elk. A dominant elk will get a herd of cows and breed them all, if another bull tries to get a cow from the herd they will fight it out. Whitetails are different, a dominant buck will find a doe in heat and stay with her and breed her. he won't leave her until she is bred. If you have multiple does in heat at the same time, you may have the dominant buck breeding one doe and a spike breeding another doe in the same field. The dominant won't leave one hot doe for another. Thus if a doe is in heat she will take the first buck she finds even if it's a button buck. It is a management headache.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts