Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Good luck trying to get picked in Missouri as an out of state hunter.
Better chance that Michigan wins the national football title next spring.
I looked at Missouri last year. Can confirm basically what you just wrote. Was thinking...hmmm...finally take the family to Branson for a few days...then shift to an area where I can duck hunt their draws.

Started reading about it and went...nope.

Our system is the best system I can find for a draw experience.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
we absolutely do not want to go to online draws...it will be a totally regretful move. sounds great on paper...but the hands off approach will carry over into every other aspect of the experience.

btw, indiana's managed areas and draw system is EXACTLY what we don't want to move to. lol. its horrible.

when most OOS hunters experience our system...they leave very envious of what we have. keep that in mind. I know a couple guys that fly here from california for 2 weeks every year just to hunt our managed areas. lol
We really do have a simple and FAIR setup.

·
Registered
979 Posts
It takes time and money for the software to be implemented.

No money
No time
Thought about that last night. Started sketching it out on paper. Thinking about how it would work. Fantasy Football draft with the autopick turned on. Wouldn't be super hard to code. And then went...yeah...the state would take 3 years and 2.8 million dollars to develop this. And when it was all done COVID would be over and we'd be stuck with a crappy system that ended up giving me zone 3 at NQP over and over again.

Plus a $5 administration fee for every day you wanted to enter the draw.

I could see a mandatory pre-registration happening. Register online by midnight for the AM draw. Randomize entrants for pre-determined pick time. Enter building one at a time and pick what's left. If you don't pre-register you show up 30 minutes later form a line first come first serve of the leftovers.

But again...something like this takes time and money for the state to develop. Not happening.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
we absolutely do not want to go to online draws...it will be a totally regretful move. sounds great on paper...but the hands off approach will carry over into every other aspect of the experience.
Many people I talk with wish that they ONLY had the draws pulling balls out of a bucket. It allows for full transparency.

Reactions: Aaronjeep2

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Many people I talk with wish that they ONLY had the draws pulling balls out of a bucket. It allows for full transparency.
absolutely agree. have never liked the computer pre-picked numbering packets. i think it took away from what the draw is all about.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
While I agree with not liking the 5 or 6 packets due to people knowing the order after a few draws. I like the Random select by computer that some areas have gone to. For nostalgia they could do the ball selection for the reserve hunts since they know they have 35 parties or a few less for no shows. And while they announce the rules they can draw them in plain sight. Steve

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Actually I forgot to put a quote in there.

"give something up.. it's tough to get back" - John Schafer MDNR-Retired
Which is why I have taken a lets "Leave it alone and just not allow more than one group in the building at a time". If we change it or they like one of your suggestions we may be screwed. I have stood in the line outside at Fish Pt and we can do it again. Steve

·
Registered
979 Posts
Actually I forgot to put a quote in there.

"give something up.. it's tough to get back" - John Schafer MDNR-Retired
Thank you for sharing the power point presentation.

Love that people are offering suggestions and things of that nature. I have no skin in the game and just started hunting bingos last year. The big question I had from the power point was why offer up any type of a concession at all? If I'm a State Manager that power point reads as different options to save money and cut back on things. It implies hunters are ready to accept less access and usage.

In negotations you never want to be the first one to offer something outside of your starting point. If you do...it rarely ends up good if the other party is highly motivated to not work to your favor.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Which is why I have taken a lets "Leave it alone and just not allow more than one group in the building at a time". If we change it or they like one of your suggestions we may be screwed. I have stood in the line outside at Fish Pt and we can do it again. Steve
This.

They may turn everything into MWW. I thought MWW was one of the coolest experiences ever. A chance to hunt fields without having to ask for permission from a million people saying no. Hunted it once, bought silos layouts etc as a result. Will make the 3 hour drive and try it again this year.

But man...having the place open Tuesday/Saturday kinda stinks. Would get utilized a lot more if people could make a full weekend out of it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
The DNR gave the members from CWAC seven options (what is shown on the calendars and their wording in the upper left corner) and we were tasked to rank them in order of preference.

None of the options came from hunters or the stakeholder groups.

Ken

Reactions: Sampsons_owner

·
Registered
979 Posts
The DNR gave the members from CWAC seven options (what is shown on the calendars and their wording in the upper left corner) and we were tasked to rank them in order of preference.

None of the options came from hunters or the stakeholder groups.

Ken
Ah gotcha. So these are the seven options that keep floating around in chats and such. Sounds like we're losing something then. Just a matter of what.

Appreciate the clarification.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
No problem.

I think we all know that no one wants less hunting anywhere.

Ken

Reactions: Sampsons_owner

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
As of now....nobody will be allowed in the building.DNR staff currently can’t be in the building.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Ah gotcha. So these are the seven options that keep floating around in chats and such. Sounds like we're losing something then. Just a matter of what.

Appreciate the clarification.
DNR upper echelon came up with these
options that HAVE to align to Whitmers Safe Start BS. The DNR isn’t really the bad guy here...it’s Whitmer.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
DNR upper echelon came up with these
options that HAVE to align to Whitmers Safe Start BS. The DNR isn’t really the bad guy here...it’s Whitmer.
She hand picked the head of the MUCC to be the head of the DNR so he is her "Boy" in all this. Havent seen anything to make me think he is swaying her in our favor. Time will tell though. And I am so hoping for not much change. We as hunters pump so much money into this state it is a no brainer to not do anything to hinder us in our pursuits. Steve

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
She hand picked the head of the MUCC to be the head of the DNR so he is her "Boy" in all this. Havent seen anything to make me think he is swaying her in our favor. Time will tell though. And I am so hoping for not much change. We as hunters pump so much money into this state it is a no brainer to not do anything to hinder us in our pursuits. Steve
Yes. I do agree that guy is definitely an issue. But I also know that there’s people under him that have no choice but to follow along. It’s been a pretty messed up ordeal all the way around. Where’s Russ Mason when we need him?! It sucked losing him.

·
Registered
39 Posts
While I agree with not liking the 5 or 6 packets due to people knowing the order after a few draws. I like the Random select by computer that some areas have gone to. For nostalgia they could do the ball selection for the reserve hunts since they know they have 35 parties or a few less for no shows. And while they announce the rules they can draw them in plain sight. Steve

41 - 60 of 366 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.