Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 101 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Where I hunt in NC, it’s 2 mornings a week period. Every hunt is a quality one.
I have hunted places where they draw two times a week. Friday at noon is a draw for Saturday sunday and monday. Monday afternoon they draw Tues-thurs days. If you get drawn 1st you pick the day and area you want and it is good the entire day. I really liked it because on the day of the hunt you dont have to get up so early.

Seems like with all the new technologies out there with people working from home you could do an online live draw the day before your hunt. Do morning and afternoon hunt back to back in the draw and be done with it. I had a meeting this morning with engineers from the US, mexico and china all talking and sharing information across the globe. Seems like a duck hunter could pick his spot from home easy enough and print a daily permit.

Sure would make it easier for people who travel across the state to hunt.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I have hunted places where they draw two times a week. Friday at noon is a draw for Saturday sunday and monday. Monday afternoon they draw Tues-thurs days. If you get drawn 1st you pick the day and area you want and it is good the entire day. I really liked it because on the day of the hunt you dont have to get up so early.

Seems like with all the new technologies out there with people working from home you could do an online live draw the day before your hunt. Do morning and afternoon hunt back to back in the draw and be done with it. I had a meeting this morning with engineers from the US, mexico and china all talking and sharing information across the globe. Seems like a duck hunter could pick his spot from home easy enough and print a daily permit.

Can you imagine the boomers trying to navigate this?

·
Registered
4,417 Posts

But In general I agree. It’s 2021. We have insane amounts of technology out there. There has got to be a way to use it to address everyone’s concerns and make the areas more friendly for everyone if that is the only thing that matters.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts

There would be hundreds of parties in each draw if you didn't have to show up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
if you want to disconnect the users from the areas even more, go for it. i have never hosted someone here in the last 40 years who left saying our system sucks. its the other way around. I did have many complaints this year about not being able to make draw tho.

i have no interest in drawing ahead....drawing online...none of it is attractive. we had a great system. covid came and will be gone...bring back old system please.

btw, i work in IT, boomer can navigate new tech just fine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Just go back to old system. Problem solved.

Where did you hunt that they did the block of days for the draws? That sounds interesting to me for a duck hunting travel vacation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You might be surprised at how many out of state hunters come here, the ones I have talked to loved the way we ran our managed areas, said it was well run and really fair.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Missouri went to a similar system this year due to covid, it sucked. All spots at each area were assigned via a weekly online draw. The main problem was less than half the parties would actually show up to hunt every day. There were no in-person draws to fill the vacancies so guys who actually wanted to hunt couldnt, and half the area turned into a refuge.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Missouri went to a similar system this year due to covid, it sucked. All spots at each area were assigned via a weekly online draw. The main problem was less than half the parties would actually show up to hunt every day. There were no in-person draws to fill the vacancies so guys who actually wanted to hunt couldnt, and half the area turned into a refuge.
How do you like MO's normal model, with the partial pre-registration and partial in-person walkup?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
How do you like MO's normal model, with the partial pre-registration and partial in-person walkup?
It's not bad. I live 5 minutes away from one of the bingo areas, so I would prefer to have more spots available for non-reservation holders, but it works well for guys who might have to drive 2+ hours only to get turned away. At least in the normal system if a reservation holder doesn't show up that spot can be filled at the morning draw by someone else.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I am not suggesting weekly draw system. I was just saying I have seen it work.

I dont see the issue with an online draw system the day before. I quit hunting managed units 20+ years ago because i dont really live local to any of them. I dont care to get up at 2:30 to make the morning draw. I would be inclined to do it if i had my spot the day before. There is no reason you couldnt put everyone in a drawing and hash it out online. There has to be a system thay could work and be cost effective too. I don't care if there are double the people in the draws i consider that a great thing. I highly doubt it would be nearly as bad as some think though.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Can you imagine the boomers trying to navigate this?
I bass fish and run a highschool fishing team in the summers. All tournaments went to online registrations with live meetings the day before last season. Most of the volunteer boat captains are boomers. Most do fine after one or two meetings. There is occasionally someone who struggles but they manage to get help from someone that can get them through it. If it is something you want to di you figure it out and adapt.

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
if you want to disconnect the users from the areas even more, go for it. i have never hosted someone here in the last 40 years who left saying our system sucks. its the other way around. I did have many complaints this year about not being able to make draw tho.

i have no interest in drawing ahead....drawing online...none of it is attractive. we had a great system. covid came and will be gone...bring back old system please.

btw, i work in IT, boomer can navigate new tech just fine.
I agree the old system worked. Not saying it was necasarily broken. I do think you can always improve though. If you can find a more efficient way of doing things that accomodates more people it could work. Its just a thought. Nothing more than that.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I bass fish and run a highschool fishing team in the summers. All tournaments went to online registrations with live meetings the day before last season. Most of the volunteer boat captains are boomers. Most do fine after one or two meetings. There is occasionally someone who struggles but they manage to get help from someone that can get them through it. If it is something you want to di you figure it out and adapt.
I was completely kidding.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
In general and not even referring to just this I hate the saying “if it’s not broke don’t fix it”. Nothing in this country would have ever progressed forward with that kind of thinking. There’s always room for improvement and room for innovation.

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,012 Posts
I have experienced both ways
'predetermined dates' in illinois back into the 1960s, and daily draws in Michigan

we have the best in the way of the 2 draw system, as others have pointed out above
agree with craig that our system ain't broke
I also am old, but also open to new ways to improve

we made that improvement over other states here in Michigan in 1977 by starting the two draw daily system

·
Registered
remington - turkey, grouse, woodcock, duck, goose, deer (and pheasant if any exist)
1,012 Posts
twice a day 7days a week is fine. To lower number of parties, allow each hunter to get into draw 3-4 times a week.

samie

we can always count on you to be quick to be creative - be it mostly a single dimensional thought

if only someday you invoked a '24 rule' to think about the 'cons' before you post, to consider all of the other ramifications, I would be agreeing with the 5-10% of your creative ideas that have a chance of being an improvement! haha

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Any input on the effects of the one day off (for the those units that were drawing twice a day/7 days a week) on how the DUCKS behaved from the unit managers? Hunters? Basically, did it effect how the ducks decoyed, stayed around,etc. This is NOT in regards to how it effected the number of hunters who hunted, number of draws a week, etc. I realize this is info/data/what ever you want to call it is for one season. Hard to draw conclusive changes on such little data, compared to the years worth from previous seasons.

I got input from Harsen's Island and NP
Harsen's Island showed no benefit from the day off, Thursday kill was lower than average
NP said their best day was the day after they were down

not sure if weather was any factor, but it appears that data is inconclusive, and that the day off did not relate to better hunting on the day after across the board

81 - 101 of 123 Posts