Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Any input on the effects of the one day off (for the those units that were drawing twice a day/7 days a week) on how the DUCKS behaved from the unit managers? Hunters? Basically, did it effect how the ducks decoyed, stayed around,etc. This is NOT in regards to how it effected the number of hunters who hunted, number of draws a week, etc. I realize this is info/data/what ever you want to call it is for one season. Hard to draw conclusive changes on such little data, compared to the years worth from previous seasons.
It would be really difficult to have unbiased data with regard to that subject. Since there really isn't a way to measure it other than somebody's opinion of what happened.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It would be really difficult to have unbiased data with regard to that subject. Since there really isn't a way to measure it other than somebody's opinion of what happened.
The duck per hunter trip average would approximate this. As far as I know, Fish Point and NP saw improvement in that regard. Harsens was down.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The duck per hunter trip average would approximate this. As far as I know, Fish Point and NP saw improvement in that regard. Harsens was down.
Everywhere seen duck per hunter trip up. The real number is actually higher than what is posted.

imagine that.You don’t pressure birds sunrise to sunset all season and the quality improves. Who would have thought????

·
Registered
62 Posts
What I figured. I know there are some guys on here that have lots of years of experience of going there so I thought they might give their two cents worth, knowing it isn't very scientific but better than nothing.

The reason for this is on the question for next year's draw plans. If the one day of rest seemed to really help with the number of birds around I might consider 6 days with 2 draws. Rotate like this year. Not on the weekend. Otherwise, 7 days with 2 draws.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
Any input on the effects of the one day off (for the those units that were drawing twice a day/7 days a week) on how the DUCKS behaved from the unit managers? Hunters? Basically, did it effect how the ducks decoyed, stayed around,etc. This is NOT in regards to how it effected the number of hunters who hunted, number of draws a week, etc. I realize this is info/data/what ever you want to call it is for one season. Hard to draw conclusive changes on such little data, compared to the years worth from previous seasons.
Yup. Last year was the “weirdest” weather we have had out of the last 4 seasons.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
What I figured. I know there are some guys on here that have lots of years of experience of going there so I thought they might give their two cents worth, knowing it isn't very scientific but better than nothing.

The reason for this is on the question for next year's draw plans. If the one day of rest seemed to really help with the number of birds around I might consider 6 days with 2 draws. Rotate like this year. Not on the weekend. Otherwise, 7 days with 2 draws.
The rest day wasn’t such a big factor. The biggest factor was the 1 draw a day. Birds weren’t getting shot at sunrise to sunset every single day.

·
Super Moderator
3,226 Posts
I would like to ask the question... should the "refuge" be a food plot such as Harsens... side topic but maybe the question should be how do we manage the "refuge" portion of our bingo areas...

there seems to be a significant variation in how the areas are managed...

also should the "zones" size be common within all the managed areas... look at how many zones SGA would have if they used the Harsens or Pt Mouille layout...

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
I would like to ask the question... should the "refuge" be a food plot such as Harsens... side topic but maybe the question should be how do we manage the "refuge" portion of our bingo areas...

there seems to be a significant variation in how the areas are managed...

also should the "zones" size be common within all the managed areas... look at how many zones SGA would have if they used the Harsens or Pt Mouille layout...
If Shi used the layout of everyone else I wouldn’t hunt there. That’s what makes it different and unique.

·
Registered
364 Posts
You’re right. Harsens was the outlier this year all the way around.
The main advantage to the 1 draw per day at Harsens this year was that odds were you'd have some part of the day to yourself with one or both neighbors not out yet. I saw no change in bird behavior otherwise when the zones were filled as normal.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
The main advantage to the 1 draw per day at Harsens this year was that odds were you'd have some part of the day to yourself with one or both neighbors not out yet. I saw no change in bird behavior otherwise when the zones were filled as normal.
To be completely honest. I don’t think I could go back to 2 draws a day After experiencing how amazing the quality of hunting and the entire experience was. It was soooooo much more relaxing and everything about it was better for me. This is coming from someone who drives 1.5 hours to get there to hunt. I absolutely loved it.good draw. Bad draw. Didn’t matter. With the self registered areas you were guaranteed a place to hunt no matter what.

I can only speak for Shiawassee.

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
morning one day than afternoon the next.... keeps everyone engaged... doesn't put 24/7 pressure on the birds....

maybe Saturday and Sunday am and pm....

rest all birds on Monday....

Tuesday and Thursday pm

Wednesday and Friday am...

just an idea...
Where I hunt in NC, it’s 2 mornings a week period. Every hunt is a quality one.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
when there is 60 parties at the draw and only 10 of those trucks have a boat hooked to them...we got a problem. GMA's need participants...remember that. yes quality of hunt....but also yes, participation. you start cutting participation, you start making them easier targets for cuts.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
when there is 60 parties at the draw and only 10 of those trucks have a boat hooked to them...we got a problem. GMA's need participants...remember that. yes quality of hunt....but also yes, participation. you start cutting participation, you start making them easier targets for cuts.
I understand what you’re saying. But LAST YEAR the problem was MOST of those guys were gunning for prior. Or they sent a buddy to the draw and would hunt the afternoon. Or maybe late morning. It gave the hunters the freedom to show up whenever they wanted to. I like that. I get what you’re saying.

·
Registered
17,419 Posts
I like the flexibility of the all day hunt, but the lack of pm draws does not work with my schedule at all, nor for recruiting new hunters to the units.

Last year I hunted the managed areas 17 times, hitting all but Hİ and PM. Brought newbies to FP, Shiawassee, and several groups to Muskegon.

This year I hunted Muskegon 11 times and Fennville three. I took no newbies on these trips. I did hunt with former newbies and also mentored them when they hunted on their own (and learned from their fresh perspective).

But no new blood was recruited.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Tuna man you mention another issue. Keep the singles open to go anywhere or put the limits back and restrict how many and where like before? Steve

21 - 40 of 123 Posts