Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just lost my fields after 10 years.(3 fields, 800 acres, 60+ birds a year) It seems one of the other guest hunters took it upon himself to show up for opening day deer season, and then claim he had permission.
Police, Conversation show up, chaos on the deer opener for the farmer and his legitimate family hunters.
So, farmer says enough. Party's over.

Communicate clearly to your group~ one person in charge, no hunting with out the person in charge there, parking and hunting areas delineated clearly.

*#&$%# selfish people. Have fun, boys. I'm going to the lake to try to scratch down 1 or 2. I'll live vicariously through your 9-2 posts.
Might be selling my 4 dozen bigfoots.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
This is like my spot poaching thread. Just because you hunt somewhere with someone doesn't mean you have permission. I get more access to fields by stating up front that I do not want to deer hunt there. I also say if I see trucks during deer season I won't go into the field. Deer and Pheasant are sacred in Michigan.

Ken

·
Registered
11,077 Posts
Just lost my fields after 10 years.(3 fields, 800 acres, 60+ birds a year) It seems one of the other guest hunters took it upon himself to show up for opening day deer season, and then claim he had permission.
Police, Conversation show up, chaos on the deer opener for the farmer and his legitimate family hunters.

Communicate clearly to your group~ one person in charge, no hunting with out the person in charge there, parking and hunting areas delineated clearly.

*#&$%# selfish people. Have fun, boys. I'm going to the lake to try to scratch down 1 or 2. I'll live vicariously through your 9-2 posts.
People that hunt with you and hunt your lands without you thinking u are the ruler of the land DRIVE ME NUTS. I have since removed anyone from our posse that dont understand this. The guy whom has permission to hunt the specific farm MUST be there the day it is hunted.

I would be chitting my pants hunting a farm in which one of my buddies had permission and I didnt and he wasnt there.

·
Registered
409 Posts
some people just dont understand the value of a good partnership. This being farmer/landowner and hunter. We always take care of them and respect their land. You still have those people that think 1 invite is good for ever!!:(

Good luck

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
That blows !......:rant: Some people just don't "Think" !
Let it go this year and maybe next year he will let "You" hunt for geese.
Things may turn around for you, ya never know............

·
Registered
18,571 Posts
Same holds true for public land. It's YOUR spot even on public land.

I'm really hesitant to take people any where if I know they have the equipment and resources to hunt that area on their own.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Wow....I would be very upset with my "friend" who did this. Thats not cool at all. Let me guess...this guy mooches off all your spots and never really develops any of his own or god forbid...a spot he could share with you...if so I may know this guy......:lol::lol:...sorry for your loss...andy

·
Registered
55 Posts
I can't believe it, three days away and I got told another will be out in my field with me. Didn't even ask just said he will be out there and nothing else. Man that chaps my rear! I spend a lot of money to get to this place for a reason and now the farmer is pimpming me out, crap! Oh well I guess it's time to find a field closer to roosting lakes and cut off my old spot. It just sucks three days away! This happened to anyone else? What am I missing when I'm told to hunt with this guy? I was planning a filmed hunt too. Nothin like just moving in on someone without invitation.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I can't believe it, three days away and I got told another will be out in my field with me. Didn't even ask just said he will be out there and nothing else. Man that chaps my rear! I spend a lot of money to get to this place for a reason and now the farmer is pimpming me out, crap! Oh well I guess it's time to find a field closer to roosting lakes and cut off my old spot. It just sucks three days away! This happened to anyone else? What am I missing when I'm told to hunt with this guy? I was planning a filmed hunt too. Nothin like just moving in on someone without invitation.
I saw a sod farm with geese the other day that I was thinking about pimping. Didn't feel like getting off the expressway, there was only about 40 geese in it. Funny thing is it was about 1 oclock in the afternoon.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts

I would let that guy have it, maybe even a sucker punch to the face, kick to the nuts and set his gear on fire. Needless to say, he would not be my friend after that and I would make it known he was a back stabbing A*&hole.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
When I was a kid full of piss and vinegar and starting to hunt on my own a little my then best friend would always come with me. We always tried to tear them up. We never were very good at asking permission, and around here it was and still is tough. So we always went to public spots. Well I worked my butt off always trying to find new lakes, rivers, etc never had a field in my life where I had an X. But at any rate my then best friend always went hunting with me. After many years of this it suddenly dawned on me. I do all the leg work, have all the decoys, the pram, and do all the calling. He made a cardinal mistake one time when my previos Lab/bluetick mix was with us. Dog loved to go in the boat and hunt but would not retrieve a duck or goose to save his life. But he was my dog and he loved to go with me so he went with me. Boat manners were the best anyways with him. Well he called my dog a dumbazz one time, I let it slide. Enough was enough one day and man did I unload on him, you simply don't make light on anothers dog verbally. Not right.

Well that got me to thinking about how I always do all the work so the next year come close to opening day I told him I was branching out to the east a little bit with a buddy. He should try to find a spot for us in the west, he lives near Kzoo. Well that effectivley ended our partnership for hunting. He never porduced a pon, field or anywhere to hunt. What he did do was find another sucker to leech from. He now hunts with a buddy that has access to some fields near Upjohn. He limits out a lot. This guy also has a coupel hundred acers up nrth to deer hunt etc. So he goes up there too. I learned my lesson, don't let them leech. Share in expenses and work. Ircks me when they don't put forth the effort you do. I have no problem taking out folks, but I expect them to help out in some way. I don't offer to take many people because I know my spots I have simply don't produce a lot of birds, lots of work for an occiasional bird or two. I don't mind though because I am doing something I live for, and my current Lab absolutley lives for. He retireves well. And I love to watch him work. My passion shifted from hunting waterfowl to him hunting waterfowl.

At any rate, just thoguht I would share that here.

Times are tough right now, economy sucks, farmers need money too, so I wonder if that is why they are allowing more folks on at once ?

If a buddy of mine takes a field away I have, you can bet they will not be a buddy ever again. And I ain't afraid to spread the news either.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Same holds true for public land. It's YOUR spot even on public land.

I'm really hesitant to take people any where if I know they have the equipment and resources to hunt that area on their own.

Wow, I have to say, with all due respect, that I disagree here. It's PUBLIC property...you don't own it. Much different than private property. What's the difference if your buddy hunts the spot on public land tomorrow, or some complete stranger does? It's open to anyone. Now having said that, a real friend would ask you first. But the bottom line is if you don't have that kind of relationship with your buddy, where he'd ask you first, and you don't want anyone to go there without you, then you damn well better not take him in the first place if you're gonna lay claim to that spot on PUBLIC property.

I've had many friends take me, and I've taken lots of friends, to spots on public property that I still hunt regularly. Heck this is how I learned public spots like the bay, Shiawassee River, and on and on. If friends had been selfish or paranoid about it and not taken me that first time, I probably would have never hunted them. But they did that for me, and I've done it time and time again ever since. Never did I make the assumption that they would never, ever hunt that spot unless I was there. Nor did my friends who took me to their spots expect me not to hunt it.

This is exactly the problem with waterfowlers who hunt the public marshes, especially up on the bay, LSC, etc. They treat the spots like they own them...and they don't. Then they get pissed when someone is in "their" spot, or the blind they built. Yes, you probably did a lot of scouting to find that location. But someone else has every right to find it to.

What I'm saying is if you hunt public property, whether for waterfowl, deer, upland or whatever, you have to expect that someday, sometime in the future, you may have competition. You can't bring public property into this whole "spot poaching" discussion. The law is clear on this guys. And I get really frustrated at fellow waterfowlers who think they own the public marshes.

We're losing hunters quickly folks, and we need to encourage more people to hunt waterfowl, not discourage it by doing things like this.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The attitiudes that that induce posts like this is the reason we are losing hunters. That, and a general disrespect of private landowner property by hunters.

These two things have led to a decrease in hunting opportunities, and a lack of enthusiasm by young hunters, due to the obviously poor attitudes/practices of older hunters.

Its really high time the hunting community stepped up to the plate, and gave landowners, and other hunters, and non-hunters the RESPECT they desrerve

Brian

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Older hunters the problem? Found most of the problem arises from younger hunters that see hunting as a competition or simply a way to get the upper hand. I'll take my chances with an older hunter over a young pup any day. Ethics are dying rapidly in the field.

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
...Ethics are dying rapidly in the field.
Not to say the hunters way back years ago were so pious either...gosh no.
But I'm sorry to say it's not just "in the field", but ethics are a problem in all walks of life.

·
Banned
909 Posts
we all hunt each others land, we would never move in on one another, mainly because we hunt together.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Wow....I would be very upset with my "friend" who did this. Thats not cool at all. Let me guess...this guy mooches off all your spots and never really develops any of his own or god forbid...a spot he could share with you...if so I may know this guy......:lol::lol:...sorry for your loss...andy
We might have the same friend:DI know someone who does that as well.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've weeded though guys out of my loop. I only have a few guys I hunt with or talk about it with. Oh, and if you take me to a Brookie lake in the UP on public land. I would not even think about going to it without you. I don't care if it is public land. You showed me the spot. And I would have never known about it if you didn't. Guess you'll stay out of my loop too. LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts