Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Never had much problems with ppl unit this weekend. We are related to or know most ppl bordering our property ( the ppl to the north. Last night the cousins chased 2 ppl off that were trespassing. Then they have a bait pile over the property line in some of our in laws food plot but the stands on theirs. About 530 my dad had someone walk under him. He's about100yards off the line but he thought it was one of the cousins or one of their so he didn't say anything. We asked then and they said it wasn't.

Then a few hours ago I was splitting wood they were shooting for a couple hours on the property line. No big deal I can just sit a different stand. But then it got sketchy. The cottage is about 100-150 up hill from the swamp bottom they are in. Hear a couple rounds go through the trees in the air about 50 yard away. I let it go. 20 minutes I have 3 bigger rounds go right over my head in the tree right by the cottage. I hit the ground and start yelling down range and they stop. We when to their place and they said they were on their land and they made sure bla bla ( being snotty). After I went and look they were shooting toward our cottage at a stomp on the line. I don't know if they were try to shoot a bird with a 45 or what because it's and a little hill to be shoot 30 foot above my head at the top of the hill ( by the topography map the cottage is about 30+ feet higher than the swamp)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to here that.I thought I was the only one with neighbors like that.except mine walks up and down the line shooting and yelling obscenities at us.makes it hard to be a true sportsmen.good luck with your neighbors.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Was it the same duo kicked off the property? Shooting towards people or a residence is not a joke. I would be contacting law enforcement.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry to here that.I thought I was the only one with neighbors like that.except mine walks up and down the line shooting and yelling obscenities at us.makes it hard to be a true sportsmen.good luck with your neighbors.
That sucks, We have never had a problem until now. We don't know if it's new owners or the owners son but we are praying.

I feel like we are better neighbors than most. We tell the neighbors and such take their kids/ grandkids on 4 wheelers and golf cart on our trail also during the winter everyone uses them to get on the power lines for snowmobiling . They just have to go slow, stay on the trails, and stay out during hunting season.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was it the same duo kicked off the property? Shooting towards people or a residence is not a joke. I would be contacting law enforcement.
I can't say for sure. We were with the the cousins when they kicked out but I'm pretty sure because their property runs along the east border of our front 50 and their north border runs along our inlaws that have the food plot that they put a bait pile on. Also when said something to them trespass (hunting) they would change the subject and say they were shooting guns on our property

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
It seems like they are pushing to prove some kind of point. I would not take them lightly. My first step would be to get all of the neighbors and talk to the law.

Reactions: hartman756

·
proud to be a.......
8,947 Posts
Michigan law prohibits individuals from obstructing or interfering with the lawful taking of animals. The Department of Natural Resources supports hunting as a legitimate form of recreation and as a useful tool in the management of the wildlife resource. Michigan conservation officers are committed to protecting hunters from the intentional disruption of the hunting experience.

The burden of proof in any criminal prosecution is on the accuser. To successfully prosecute any person for harassment of another, it must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt that the person intentionally or knowingly committed the violation.

You might want to print out the law and mail it to them. It might get them thinking.

324.40112 Obstructing or interfering in lawful taking of animals or fish....http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(21...getobject&objectname=mcl-324-40112&highlight=

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It seems like they are pushing to prove some kind of point. I would not take them lightly. My first step would be to get all of the neighbors and talk to the law.

yea, idk. Its my stepmoms families property so its up to them what they want to do. I would be more affraid of those 6 menapol old ladies than the cops. haha I think shes hoping after saying something it will stop but if not she knows all the cops in the area. I'm going to get some ribbon and mark almost every tree amd post along the line so they will have no excuse for trespassing

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hunt the property line on my moms 10 acres because it's an oak flat and the neighbor has a swampy property that all the deer bed in.

I don't shoot unless they cross to my side and my stand is clearly on my side.

Went out there and the guy posted a no trespassing sign on the tree feet away from my stand.

It's really stupid. I am not trying to disrespect anyone by hunting the line. It's simply the only spot on my moms 10 acres that have trees able to support a tree stand and it's also a perfect spot.

Why be a jerk and post a no trespassing sign? Is it that big of a deal?

People get too agitated.

·
Banned
5,934 Posts
I hunt the property line on my moms 10 acres because it's an oak flat and the neighbor has a swampy property that all the deer bed in.

Went out there and the guy posted a no trespassing sign on the tree feet away from my stand.

It's really stupid. I am not trying to disrespect anyone by hunting the line. It's simply the only spot on my moms 10 acres that have trees able to support a tree stand and it's also a perfect spot.

People get too agitated.
I hear you. and your are not doing anything wrong now. But my question is: Do you have permision to track wounded deer in your neighbor's?

Because if you are that close to the property line and you shoot a deer who beds in the other side, it is very likely that the deer will run to the bedding are to lay there.

When that is an almost certain possibility, it is best to talk to the neighbor first. Because it may be the best position to shoot a deer, but to hunt is a different story.

Now, if the neighbor's were a feeding plot and the bedding was on your side, well... you can confidently sit on your side close to the boundary and most likely all wounded deer (yours and your neighbors) will run to your property.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

People get too agitated.
What you're doing is one thing and that's fine but we had ppl 3 trespassing in one weekend. They had one bait pile on some else land and another right on our line (about a foot off the line) and we had rounds going through the trees toward our cottage. Another 10 degrees and they would have hit the cottage. When we confronted them they were arrogant and rude. That's y I'm posting it this weekend. We don't have to post the rest of it because we don't have a problem with anyone else. We aren't sticklers about it but when u ack like they did we don't want anything to do with u. It's the same thing at our beach. We have one of the nicest beaches we let all the neighbors use it as long as they don't bring glass bottles, are nice, and don't leave trash.

I found an older plat map and they have around 5 acres unless they bought lots next to them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts