Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
So the guy was in a corn field with his brother after a wounded deer and hears something and shoots at sound? How do you mistake another human being for a deer? Very very sad? A deer is not worth it! Know your target before your finger touches the trigger. This so could have been avoided. Splitting up in a thick corn field looking for a wounded deer is a very bad idea. Luckily the brother is alive. I’m sure the trigger man feels terrible and can’t imagine how he lives the rest of his life had he taken his brothers life. Heart goes out to the family. I wonder what’s up with the other story at the bottom of the article where a 4 and 6 year old get shot. Just terrible and very sad. Never squeeze the trigger unless your sure of your target. Once fired you can’t take it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,886 Posts
So the guy was in a corn field with his brother after a wounded deer and hears something and shoots at sound? How do you mistake another human being for a deer? Very very sad? A deer is not worth it! Know your target before your finger touches the trigger. This so could have been avoided. Splitting up in a thick corn field looking for a wounded deer is a very bad idea. Luckily the brother is alive. I’m sure the trigger man feels terrible and can’t imagine how he lives the rest of his life had he taken his brothers life. Heart goes out to the family. I wonder what’s up with the other story at the bottom of the article where a 4 and 6 year old get shot. Just terrible and very sad. Never squeeze the trigger unless your sure of your target. Once fired you can’t take it back.

The shooting of 2 kids happened in grayling, whole story hasnt come out, appears to be accidental discharge inside the home. One bullet hit one in the foot and one in the ankle in another room. They will be ok

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
91 Posts
God what an idiot! This is why I shy away from public land during firearm season.
What do either of these accidents have to do with hunting Public land?

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Luckily the brother is alive. I’m sure the trigger man feels terrible and can’t imagine how he lives the rest of his life had he taken his brothers life. Heart goes out to the family.
I can tell you exactly how he feels. About thirtyfive years ago three brother, my neighbors were pushing a corn field. One of the brothers, my age, was shot and killed by another brother. A horrible mistake. The other two brothers have never hunted again and I am sure deer season brings back memories they wish they didn't have.

Reactions: jiggin is livin

·
Premium Member
10,770 Posts
The shooting of 2 kids happened in grayling, whole story hasnt come out, appears to be accidental discharge inside the home. One bullet hit one in the foot and one in the ankle in another room. They will be ok

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
They said on the news that the father was getting ready to go hunting and picked up his rifle which went off. Bullet went thru the wall and hit a table and both kids were hit with splinters off the table. If that is what happened why was the gun loaded. News showed a picture of a bullet hole in the wall

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
What do either of these accidents have to do with hunting Public land?
They don’t however I’ve never liked firearm season on public due to the yahoo’s that can be present. The people who mostly scare me away are the folks who hear or see something then launch 5 slugs in the air. I’ve heard shooting like that too many times.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
They don’t however I’ve never liked firearm season on public due to the yahoo’s that can be present. The people who mostly scare me away are the folks who hear or see something then launch 5 slugs in the air. I’ve heard shooting like that too many times.
I understand you shoot, the deer is staggering and you need a follow up shot. Shots three, four and five and you should have your gun taken away. Nothing safe is going on there. Not to mention you probably started out taking a bad shot opportunity that isn’t a high percentage kill shot. During gun season I’ve seen deer shot in the ass, rear leg shot off, and I seen one fawn shot in the nose once. Just have to shake your head. These guys have zero respect for the sport or the animal much less the safety and respect for the people around them. I started out as a kid hunting state land here for years before I went to strictly private land. This is the first year in a long time I’m hunting state land and I have to say nothing surprises me.

·
Premium Member
4,784 Posts
I understand you shoot, the deer is staggering and you need a follow up shot. Shots three, four and five and you should have your gun taken away. Nothing safe is going on there. Not to mention you probably started out taking a bad shot opportunity that isn’t a high percentage kill shot. During gun season I’ve seen deer shot in the ass, rear leg shot off, and I seen one fawn shot in the nose once. Just have to shake your head. These guys have zero respect for the sport or the animal much less the safety and respect for the people around them. I started out as a kid hunting state land here for years before I went to strictly private land. This is the first year in a long time I’m hunting state land and I have to say nothing surprises me.

u did get a dandy this year on state though however? I believe it was you anyhow.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
u did get a dandy this year on state though however? I believe it was you anyhow.
Scored 161 6/8 gross. He weighed 192lbs and from the teeth wear we honestly think he is a three year old. I’m bummed because I wanted to send the teeth in to get him aged but I have half a jaw bone. My taxi sent the other half to the dnr for cwd testing. I thought the jaw bone with the teeth is what you needed but it turns out you need the two center front teeth on the bottom. If he is a three year old and 160+ I can’t even imagine how special of a deer he would have been at five+. I am very thankful and grateful to be able to see a buck of that caliber on the hoof let alone be lucky enough to get him.

This is his horns setting on the other nice Michigan buck I killed a few years back. That scored 174 7/8 gross.

It’s weird they have some similar characteristics.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts

I like how you don't mention the number of deer with arrows up their ass, in their sides, and all areas in between. Give it a rest, we all know you are perfect and hate gun season with a passion. Bad placement happens, arrow or gun, if you can't handle it, quit the sport, but don't blame one side.

·
Premium Member
6,271 Posts
Scored 161 6/8 gross. He weighed 192lbs and from the teeth wear we honestly think he is a three year old. I’m bummed because I wanted to send the teeth in to get him aged but I have half a jaw bone. My taxi sent the other half to the dnr for cwd testing. I thought the jaw bone with the teeth is what you needed but it turns out you need the two center front teeth on the bottom. If he is a three year old and 160+ I can’t even imagine how special of a deer he would have been at five+. I am very thankful and grateful to be able to see a buck of that caliber on the hoof let alone be lucky enough to get him.

This is his horns setting on the other nice Michigan buck I killed a few years back. That scored 174 7/8 gross.

It’s weird they have some similar characteristics.

Did you take those two deer from roughly the same area? The racks are so similar one could conclude there's some common DNA in there. Maybe an offspring?

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Did you take those two deer from roughly the same area? The racks are so similar one could conclude there's some common DNA in there. Maybe an offspring?
Nope, it’s crazy though ain’t it the similarities? One was killed in lenawee county by Addison and the one I just got on November 7th was killed by Manchester in Jackson county.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts