Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Maltby Lake last night in the Huron Meadows Metropark. Not much action going on. First place I tried was about 20’ out from the "sunset fishing pier". Surprised that it was so deep. At least 35 FOW. No bites there. Moved in closer, found some 15-20 FOW, and only some dink gills were to be found. Will have to try another spot on that lake sometime - it's always decent in the spring, just need find where the lunkers hang out in the winter. The ice is good overall, at least 5” everywhere I drilled, though there are definitely some spots on the lake where there’s thin ice.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wouldn't surprise me, but I've never caught any there (or heard reports of it). That post you dug up from 12 years ago was probably the last time I ever fished Maltby after dark, and I have never had a lot of luck catching crappies during daylight hours at any lake myself. I've only caught gills, bullheads, bass, and (oddly) little pickerels at Maltby.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thinking about trying this lake this weekend for some gills, bass, or walleye. Wondering if anyone has fished here recently and how they did?

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's still good for panfish (though now at the pier it's primarily tiny ones) and small bass (and small pike and small pickerels). I've been fishing there for a couple decades and have never heard of anyone catching walleye.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's still good for panfish (though now at the pier it's primarily tiny ones) and small bass (and small pike and small pickerels). I've been fishing there for a couple decades and have never heard of anyone catching walleye.
Thanks. I'm going to have a kayak so I'll be able to get out in the deeper waters, so hopefully I get some good sized gills

·
Registered
162 Posts
I used to fish it many years ago. In the 80's and there use to be giant sunfish on this lake. They were so big that when they were spawning we could see there backs stick out of the water sometimes - no joke. My buddies and I would land some nice LG Mouths also by canoe.

·
Administrator
35,856 Posts
I've almost killed myself several times try to haul ice fishing stuff up the hill in the winter.

·
Registered
11,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I've been there too. I wish they'd clear out some of the trees / shrubs between that side trail and lake to create a path for hauling out your gear in the winter, navigating the face of the big hill is just obnoxious with gear.

·
Administrator
35,856 Posts
Had to do it on my hands and knees one year in the snow to pull a big Shappel out :)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts