Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an active bass board at www.bassfishin.com with ideas lately on modifying and making lures for bass. They are currently discussing tubes and tube modifications. Check out the posts by Mac10 on the tips and tricks board.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
pretty cool stuff but i have a question
why are ytou in a michigan forum when you live in tennessee

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Why not ? Dont mind him Littlemac. Whats your favorite modification and do you make your own plastics?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. Take a green (green pumpkin, watermelon) or brown, (camo or pumpkin) 6 inch lizard and a 3 inch chartreuse grub. Cut the grub tail off and replace the lizard tail with the shorter chartreuse. Then cut the grub body lengthwise and weld it under the belly of the lizard, fat end forward......the chart belly and tail now create a hi viz liz!!!

2. Take a one inch chart grub, cut and weld a belly onto a 3 or 4 inch grub....this makes a
hubba bubba grubba!!! Both one and two are ways to not only add color, but also to change the profile.

3. If your dropshot baits are thick enough, core out the back half and insert styrofoam plugs to make them stand out correctly on the dropshot rig.
Coring tools are made from cutting a telescoping antenna up into sections, sharpen each by using a countersink tool on a drillpress to sharpen it on the inside...then using black sandpaper to remove the flair. Core the bait, remove the core, twist the tool into a block of tightgrained styrofoam, remove the tool, place in lure and use the smallest tip section of the antenna as a ram to inject the foam. The foam will compress, but will still float the lure.

4. Get a pack of zoom ultra vibe speed worms in watermelon/red and cut off the tails making the worm body 3 and 3/4 inches long. Rig weightless on a 2/0 Offset shaft worm hook and use as a slo fall, deadsticking lure. This is a killer for bass near weeds, wood, docks...etc. Casts like a bullet, skips well under docks, logs and rocks, and can be wacky rigged as well.

Take the tails, trim off the ribbed body part up to the flat hooktail....remove the tail from a lizard, weld this hooktail (hook pointing down) straight off the back end of the lizard...then, still in a straight line, weld the lizard tail back onto the end of the hooktail. This makes a topwater lizard that kicks water on the minisweep during a slow retrieve......great for stopping and dropping at the edge of weeds and the hook will throb on the pull underwater as well.....super lure for fishing pads with the rod tip up....crawls over the top and easy to drop in the little openings...let rest awhile before twitching. You will catch a lot of bass doing this, but I would guess, even more with the speed worm bodies in watermelon/red glitter.

Making homemade tube rattles and then punching eyes in the tube letting the rattle color show through is one of my favorites as well...I use a hand held single hole paper punch and one punch through the side of the tube makes two eyes....looks good with a red rattle.

I don't pour my own lures, in answer to your question.

This is not a mod, but something most folks don't do, I like to rig a reaper on a 2/0 hook, back a little from the front end and let it glide slowly down into the water.....also a good bass getter.

My method for slowfalling the zoom speed worm bodies....and that of my wife as well....

I cast to a likely spot, let sink to bottom watching line, let rest on bottom 30 seconds, lift two feet slowly to feel for fish, if nothing, let re-fall and wait 20 seconds, then lift again for feel, if nothing reel in and cast again.

Wife.....cast to likely spot, let set 15 seconds on bottom watching line and holding line between thumb and finger for feel, take two s-l-o-w turns on reel handle, wait again 15 seconds..feeling and watching line...then two more sloooow turns, then wait 15......until the lure has gone 10 to 15 feet across bottom, then reel in moderately and re-cast to another likely spot.

Both methods, if the bass are about and are active, the lure doesn't hit bottom on the first fall. Both methods can be used in weeds with lizards and other soft plastics as well. I don't know why, but the watermelon/red glitter works ten times better than other colors.

Notes about the zoomie, the speed worm body....looks like a Senko, but falls much more slowly...this is a big plus...bass have much more time to see and grab before disappearing in the weeds or rocks on the bottom. I recommended this method last year to jnpcook on this board and he was glad to report that it really works very well....even can fish weightless worms the same way....may have to move the hook about to get a flat fall, as the tails on regular worms creates drag and the worm noses down and falls fast, moving the hook back to the magic spot will correct the nose down.

this got a little long....hope you get some use out of the information.

Also hope you and deputy have time to join up with the bassfishin board sometime...folks from all over there, but right now it's a great board.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Almost forgot the spittin lizard

On a 6 inch lizard carefully cut a mouth that goes back behind and under the eyes. Open the mouth and weld a small piece of plastic in the crease of the open mouth....this holds the mouth open. Now, take a piece of plastic worm and cut a wedge shape about a half inch long.....weld this shallow wedge onto the chest of the lizard so that when the lizard is pulled forward, it will make the lizard body ski on top of the water. When you rig the weightless hook, do so carefully, you want the eye of the hook to end up centered in the mouth opening. Also, when welding the wedge on the chest, be sure it won't interfere with the gap of the hook....in short, keep it forward near the front legs.

I like to use a sliver of red plastic in the mouth to weld it open.....either red or chartreuse....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A last note....coring out the back half of any soft plastic will make it fall much more slowly....even a small sized coring tool removing a core halfway in a speed worm body will slow it down greatly....

·
Registered
324 Posts
LittleMac... You are more than welcome to be on this forum. Shoot with info like that, you can be my fishin buddy.
You see, I just got into soft-plastics two years ago, and in that message I learned more than I had reading Infisherman, and asking all the people I know that fish plastics.
Thanks Man- Keep it Rockin!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Holy moly! Thats alot of plastic moddin! Great tips! Did you get any ice on the lakes downthere at all? You had to if gotten some snow this year. I stayed in a cabin above Dollyworld last year 2 years ago it was great. The locals were talking about some huge cats in the rivers there and the mountain we were on had a mt lion on the top of it but we never saw it.
I weld alot of walleye jigs color combos together when they arent biting on the regular chart, I break out a half pink half chart and fish on!I collect all those jigs you see floating by and use them for this alot. I know of a spot that has bucket fulls of them in the peak of the run.
I used to bother with making my own floating jig heads out of that expanding foam but its not worth the tying time to me anymore I just use a lighter leadhead.
I cut my one peice stick baits and make them jointed with clevices from netcraft and fill the gap with hotglue of whatever color matches. .
I started into making my own plastics but couldnt get the silicon mold to ever to dry. I think it was the plastic petri dish I put it in, must of affected the silicon. Im going to try plaster next.

I ve been real happy with the glow powder jig paint in white then coloring it whatever color with a light almost transparent coat of colored paint and epoxyed over it. Add sparkles to the final coat and walla.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I see you are in Toledo, I'm originally from Morenci, MI...about 40 miles west. Still have family there.....be sure to check out our www.bassfishin.com anytime and if you pour plastics, I highly recommend www.tackleunderground.com if you don't already go there.....all sorts of tacklemaking boards, even one on soft plastic pouring..a whole board just for that.

Take care and good fishing, Mac Mac10 on bassfishin.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts