Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've taken a fly tying course many yrs ago, but we never covered egg patterns, mostly basic dry's, and a few wets/nymphs.

so what type of thread should you use for an egg?

how do you do it?
i'm guessing to lay a base wrap then put the yarn around the hook and wrap the thread several times. do you tie off to the front or over the yarn?

how is it you don't see any thread?

for nuke eggs?

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
I tie eggs a couple of different ways, using egg yarn or chenille.

Here's a good site that has some great info on tying, patterns and eggs.

http://www.steelheading101.com/

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here's a link to a video. Wish I had seen this when I was trying to figure them out, would have saved me a bunch of yarn.

As for thread make sure to use something really strong. I started using Gudebrod GX2 last year, and won't go back to anything else that is out there right now. Getting a lot of tension is the key to getting it to puff right.

http://www.flymartonline.com/article360.html

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nice thanks guys! how about the front of an egg sucking leach??? the one i have is a real tight egg, and small, using yarn looks different. it almost looks like chanelle but i'm not sure..

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
limige said:
nice thanks guys! how about the front of an egg sucking leach??? the one i have is a real tight egg, and small, using yarn looks different. it almost looks like chanelle but i'm not sure..
For ESL's there's no "one" way to make your egg. I've even seen guy's use a rubber/jenson egg used. There are several different types of chenilles, for smaller eggs and ESL's I like to use the "ultra" stuff, its a little stiffer/courser, like a pipe cleaner. Your only limited to the extent of your imagination! ;)

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
limige said:
Sometimes I'll tie a glow egg on the front of the leech,but one of my favorite ways to do that is buy some of those 5mm crystal eggs that are pre-tied and put it on the hook first then tie the leech behind it.
Chanelle is probably the easiest way to tie an egg on if you want to do it your self.The egg will be as tight as you can pull ;)

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i saw those at gander moutain, how do you attach them???

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Push the hook through just like a piece of bait.Sometimes it's a little tough,when I tie my leech, I tie right up to the egg and finish it right in the seam.When you glue it ,it will seal the whole thing and the egg shouldn't move at all.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys, i'm going to look for some better thread, maybe take a trip to sport mart if i have to, i keep breaking my thread..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I personally like to use different colors of hot glue. You can get gluewith glitter in it. If you have a rotary vise it is really easy. Most "big" tackle shops or fly stores have a selection of hot glue colors and glue guns. Don

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use Kevlar thread & McFlyfoam for egg patterns.
You can really torque the material with that.
If Im not in a hurry i do two sided, or 4 corner method.
Smaller eggs work best where I fish.

·
Registered
920 Posts
My friend, tier and guide Chusk Scribner, taught me a good method.

Run 2 strands of full size egg yarn and one strand of small red, orange or contrasting color through the tip end of a ball point pen tip section. It is difficult to thread this but it can be done. Make a loop with 4" fire line through the pen tip for a "threader". Run the 3 yarn strands through the line loop and cut a taper on the yarn tag ends. If this will not go through, strip a little off the large yarn strands. Not too much as you want it to be tight in the pen tip and have some bulk.

After you (finally) run the yarn through the pen tip, cut off excess yarn on the tip leaving about 1/8" inch exposed.

Because of the difficulty of getting the yarn through the pen tip. I use the full package length of yarn and have enough to last a long time before rethreading. I also have a few pen tips set up. One for each color that I use.

Save money and use 4# fireline for tying thread. A spool will last you a lifetime. Spool some on your bobbin.

Lay a base on thread on your #10 or #12 egg hook. With the pen tip position the yarn on the hook. Give it a couple of wraps and pull tight, I mean real tight, as close as possible to the yarn end of the pen tip.

I support the hook eye with my thumb nail while pulling down hard on the Fireline.

Keep the thread taught and about 3-4 half hitches will do for the knot at the eye. No need to cement as these flys are normally used and thrown away.

Pull about 1/4" of yarn out from the pen tip. Hold the pen tip and yarn tight and pull away from the hook. Cut about 1/8" from the hook, leaving 1/8" at the pen tip for the next fly.

Fluff this up and with a little practice you will have a deadly small egg, about 3/16" diameter with with a color dot in it.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
:yeahthat:

That's how I do glow eggs. Threading the yarn through the pen tip is a pain,but once you've got it you're set until you run out of yarn.
I read DryFly's instructions somewhere,that's where I learned about the pen.
I never used FireLine,but that's a good tip.It won't break that's for sure :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
The gentleman that came up with the pen tip idea is an absolute genius. It took me a few tries but i have it down now. Tell im thanks for me and thanks for posting that.:)

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
I,ve tried tying eggs once.... but tell me, is it better hard boiled,soft boiled or just not boiled at all in the shell????? I,ve tied one on in a bar once, it came out of a pickled jar.went well with a cold BUD.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: didn' catch anything but a hangover:confused: :evil: :rant: .

FIND A PLACE THAT MAKES YOU HAPPY.....AND GO THERE.....OFTEN

·
Registered
920 Posts
snaggs said:
I,ve tried tying eggs once.... but tell me, is it better hard boiled,soft boiled or just not boiled at all in the shell????? I,ve tied one on in a bar once, it came out of a pickled jar.went well with a cold BUD.:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: didn' catch anything but a hangover:confused: :evil: :rant: .

I'll bet when winter fishing with spawn sacs you, also hold them in your mouth to keep them warm.. :lol: :sick:

·
Registered
920 Posts
I was in a hurry to get to my tree stand when making my first post. Now that I have some time, here are some pictures.

As I and others have stated, it is a real pain to get 2 normal and 1 small size strands of egg yarn through the pen tip. Therefore do not use short pieces. The longer they are the more flys can be tied before you have to do this again. Using a piece of Fireline, I make a threading loop through the large end of the pen tip. Put the ends of all 3 yarns through the loop in about 1".

Cut a taper on the tag ends towards the back. This will allow them to get through the pen tip a little easier. You will have to search to find the pen tip with a big enough opening and one that is comfortable in your hands. Do not get too big a hole otherwise the egg will not be small. Notice, I use those with a rubber grip.

Wrap the tag ends of the Fireline loop (for this I use a heavier 6# line) around a stick or what ever and start pulling. Don't give up, it will work.

With a little practice you will be tieing very small eggs that are hot for Steelhead and Salmon. These are tied on a size 12 hook.

You can add a little veil to give it a nuke egg look. When I do this I use normal thread for the veil and cement the knot.

If you are going to the Midwest Fly Fishing Expo in Warren, Mi.
3/18 - 19/ 2006, Chuck Scribner will have a booth promoting his guide service.
Stop in and he will show you how these are tied along with some other interesting things like variuos knots, droppers etc.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Macomb Community College Expo Center.

This show is normally a week earlier and used to be in Southfield. Because of scheduling conflicts at the Expo center, the show is one week later this year.

This is Michigan's grandaddy of fly fishing shows.

In addition to stopping by to see Chuch Scribner, stop by the Dry Fly float Boat Booth area and say hi. I will be there displaying the boats that I custom make.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts